Will Now TV and an Amazon Firestick work on the same tv (instead of Sky)?

Found 2nd Jan
I'm currently paying £32 a month for the Sky Variety TV package (and also £30.24 for Sky Broadband and Talk). I need to reduce my monthly outgoings so I am looking at possibly getting rid of Sky TV (but keep the Broadband and Talk). I've recently bought an Amazon Firestick which is great. Upstairs in my room, I also have a Now TV Box (using no passes though).

My son is 10 and from what I can see, if I paid out for a Now TV Kids Pass and Entertainment Pass, most of the programmes that he watches on the Sky Variety package would be covered, except for Disney X D which he also likes. These two passes would cost me £10.98 a month, so saving around £21 a month.

I am using am HDMI splitter in the sitting room for my Sky+HD Box and my Amazon Firestick, as my tv only has one HDMI slot - works perfectly. I'm just wondering, if I removed my Sky+HD Box (assume that they would want it returned?), would the Now TV box work ok alongside an Amazon Firestick? Is there anything that you can download to a Firestick so that you can watch extra channels? Ideally, I'd like to stay with Sky but don't think that I have a chance in getting the monthly cost reduced. Any ideas please? Thank you.
Community Updates
20 Comments
I’m sure it should work fine as long as two HDMI things show in the source options. You can’t access them both at the same time.
Agree with Dolphinzz - it will work as you describe.

As to other options for a Firestick you could look at installing Kodi - lot of videos on youtube on how to do it. Also - have a look at this thread, especially on the sideloading of Movie/tv apk's hotukdeals.com/dis…546

Look to get the Now TV passes on ebay - will save a few more £'s per month.
Edited by: "Van1973" 2nd Jan
Yes it will plugged into seperate hdmi sockets , I've done it and also have a Roku stick plugged in as well
It's a shame you bought the fire stick.... If you had bought a Roku Express for £30 it does NowTV, Amazon Prime and Netflix
I share my Now TV account with my brother. We can watch 1 box from 2 different locations at the same time. I pay roughly £4 for a 2 months entertainment pass from eBay. So that's £24 for the year ....£12 per person.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 2nd Jan
Thank you all for your advice, much appreciated.
RiverDragon852 m ago

I share my Now TV account with my brother. We can watch 1 box from 2 …I share my Now TV account with my brother. We can watch 1 box from 2 different locations at the same time. I pay roughly £4 for a 2 months entertainment pass from eBay. So that's £24 for the year ....£12 per person.

Don't you both have to be watching the same programme though? I need to find out more about the Amazon Firestick. I have got a student membership of Amazon Prime (6 months free, then reduced cost for the remaining 6 months). My older son who lives a few miles away from me has asked me if he can share my Prime account (to watch films). I think I read though that you can only share an account if you live at the same address - does anybody know if this correct? Thank you.
RiverDragon81 h, 8 m ago

I share my Now TV account with my brother. We can watch 1 box from 2 …I share my Now TV account with my brother. We can watch 1 box from 2 different locations at the same time. I pay roughly £4 for a 2 months entertainment pass from eBay. So that's £24 for the year ....£12 per person.

I do the same with the father in law.

You can have 4 boxes/devices connected to 1 account at a time and can independently watch on 2 devices at the same time.
Sophiasky25 m ago

Don't you both have to be watching the same programme though? I need to …Don't you both have to be watching the same programme though? I need to find out more about the Amazon Firestick. I have got a student membership of Amazon Prime (6 months free, then reduced cost for the remaining 6 months). My older son who lives a few miles away from me has asked me if he can share my Prime account (to watch films). I think I read though that you can only share an account if you live at the same address - does anybody know if this correct? Thank you.

I'm not totally sure re. Amazon Prime but no problem someone using your account at a different address - Prime works on mobile devices so they must permit different IP addresses. What I'm not sure about is whether you can watch Prime at two different locations at the same time (which as Riverdraggon has said you can certainly do with NowTV).
If you got student prime then it's actually 6 months free then 1/2 price for a year so that's £39 for 18 months.

''Don't you both have to be watching the same programme though?''

You can both watch whatever you want on Now TV.
Van197342 m ago

I'm not totally sure re. Amazon Prime but no problem someone using your …I'm not totally sure re. Amazon Prime but no problem someone using your account at a different address - Prime works on mobile devices so they must permit different IP addresses. What I'm not sure about is whether you can watch Prime at two different locations at the same time (which as Riverdraggon has said you can certainly do with NowTV).

I don't know about this either. I know that it says you can take your Amazon Firestick with you if you travel around, but don't know if that if my son logs into my Prime Film account and chooses a film to watch at his house, I can watch another film at the same time at my house? Does anybody know the answer to this? Thank you.
If you read some of the comments on here it suggests you can watch simultaneously at different addresses amazon.co.uk/ask…3U/
Just wondering, I have the new Firestick with Alexa voice, but my son has the older Firestick. Would he be able to log into my Prime account to watch films using his stick then? Just a bit confused about this, as on Amazon Prime the serial number on my stick is registered to my Amazon account. Would it actually work seeing that his Firestick has a different serial number and is not registered to my account then? Thank you.
You can log on to anybody fire stick so long as you go to Settings/My Account/Deregister their account first.
RiverDragon812 m ago

You can log on to anybody fire stick so long you go to Settings/My …You can log on to anybody fire stick so long you go to Settings/My Account/Deregister their account first.

I have found this and it says that I have registered my Firestick to my account. Surely, if my Firestick is deregistered from my account, I won't be able to access the Prime films anymore? Isn't registering it some form of guarantee if something goes wrong with it? If my son had my log in details and went to my settings/my account/deregister, wouldn't it mean that neither of us would be able to watch Prime films? Sorry, confused as to why I have to deregister my Firestick from my account so that my son can log in to my account to watch films. If he managed to deregister it, wouldn't I have to register my Firestick to my account if I then wanted to watch a film (at the same time perhaps)? Thank you.
You need an amazon account (real or fake) to use with a fire stick. So you can register your account with multiple fire sticks to access the prime features. If your son had a fire stick and wasn't with prime then he would need to deregister his account then login with your details.

The question you're asking about sharing your prime account and watching it in different locations at the same time? I have no idea because I've never tried. Why don't you ask you son to login with his fire stick with your account and then watch something at the same time.
Thank you for your advice. I have a real Amazon account so does my son. We both have Firesticks but I am the only one currently with the Prime subscription. I'll wait to see if anybody replies about watching it in different locations at the same time now.
Sophiasky5 h, 18 m ago

Don't you both have to be watching the same programme though? I need to …Don't you both have to be watching the same programme though? I need to find out more about the Amazon Firestick. I have got a student membership of Amazon Prime (6 months free, then reduced cost for the remaining 6 months). My older son who lives a few miles away from me has asked me if he can share my Prime account (to watch films). I think I read though that you can only share an account if you live at the same address - does anybody know if this correct? Thank you.

This doesn’t apply to student prime. With the normal full price prime you can share video, prime delivery and a few other things.
With nowtv you can add 4 devices to the account and stream at the same time on 2 devices.
hottoast6 h, 43 m ago

It's a shame you bought the fire stick.... If you had bought a Roku …It's a shame you bought the fire stick.... If you had bought a Roku Express for £30 it does NowTV, Amazon Prime and Netflix

Exactly what I have just done although my LG smart TV has all the apps on it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants