will playing Resident Evil 7 in normal mode ruin the VR experience?

32 replies
Found 25th Jan
So I got Resident Evil in the post today. was gonna try it tonight but have bought my daughter the VR headset for her birthday in 4 weeks time. I definitely will be playing this in VR... but if I play the game normally until then will I ruin it for myself by seeing where the jump scares are etc.. or is the VR game different from the normal mode?

32 Comments

Can't speak from experience but I've read a lot of people find it makes them very dizzy/sick in VR. Something to do with moving in the game while standing still in real life, it's supposedly very disorientating

It really depends on you.
I would wait myself as it just makes the experience sooooooo much better, playing it before, you would know what's going to happen.
Re motion sickness, playing it sat down and with 30 degree snap movement I felt no sickness.
Setting to smooth made me get it slight enough for me to turn off that setting.
Edited by: "geebeegooner" 25th Jan

Can you run and shoot at the same time? You couldn't do that in an earlier version and it put me off playing it again, it was so ridiculous.

Original Poster

so when your playing the game normally do you just pause it and 'Switch to VR mode' ?

makershaker

so when your playing the game normally do you just pause it and 'Switch … so when your playing the game normally do you just pause it and 'Switch to VR mode' ?

There's an option within the settings to switch between the 2 I think.

deeky

Can you run and shoot at the same time? You couldn't do that in an … Can you run and shoot at the same time? You couldn't do that in an earlier version and it put me off playing it again, it was so ridiculous.

Not got to any part of shooting yet as I got scared ha ha ha.

deeky

Can you run and shoot at the same time? You couldn't do that in an … Can you run and shoot at the same time? You couldn't do that in an earlier version and it put me off playing it again, it was so ridiculous.

There are no guns, you have to fight them off with a stick.

[email protected]

Hope you're telling porkies cause i'll never play it again ha ha ha. I did find a weapon though (but won't spoil).

geebeegooner

Hope you're telling porkies cause i'll never play it again ha ha ha. I … Hope you're telling porkies cause i'll never play it again ha ha ha. I did find a weapon though (but won't spoil).

Don't worry there are weapons. Not much to say about the ammo though oO for the last hour I've been stabbing stuff in the face with a flick knife!

I played it for 2 hours last night in VR. It is an awesome experience. There are a few jump scares, but not found it too scary yet. The atmosphere is amazing.

I played sitting with 30 degree turning and had no motion sickness issues. Whereas I tried the demo with free turn and that made me queasy.

And there are definitely weapons other than pointy sticks. Although the screw driver wasn't very handy.
Edited by: "Bobbajob" 25th Jan

Banned

Wait and play it in VR, it really makes it a different experience. The atmosphere and tension are really cranked up to a whole new level.

I played for a couple of hours last night and used the smooth setting and personally felt fine. There's plenty of tweaks for movement and how you do it.

The thing with VR as well, is that different people react in different ways to it. You'll see a lot of sweeping statements from people telling you that you will be sick, some people do, but some don't. You won't know till you try it.

Does everyone play this with headphones (with VR)? I've got a VR, but even rush of blood scared the crap outta me, so God knows what this game will do to me!

saddako

Does everyone play this with headphones (with VR)? I've got a VR, but … Does everyone play this with headphones (with VR)? I've got a VR, but even rush of blood scared the crap outta me, so God knows what this game will do to me!

Had my brother-in-law play it with headphones.
He's a 6" 7 ex bouncer now prison officer.
He was screaming like a girl.
Best thing was, watching the screen he was just popping his head over the ride and not looking, shooting randomly.
He came off it and was really shaken. Funny as hell.

Banned

saddako

Does everyone play this with headphones (with VR)? I've got a VR, but … Does everyone play this with headphones (with VR)? I've got a VR, but even rush of blood scared the crap outta me, so God knows what this game will do to me!

Headphones/earphone are essential to the whole VR experience, the 3D sounds is fantastic on this and all the other games I've played so far. Even just using the supplied earphones.

Any difference in VR experience with PS4 vs. PS4 pro for this game?

Banned

keluar

Can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've read, it's graphically better on the pro. I believe it's a bit more detailed. Which is to be expected from a AAA title, somethings not right if it's not had pro enhancements!

You are playing the same game and story with or without VR, only difference is the camera is your head and the analogue stick.

When it comes to the set pieces you probably won't get scared but RE7 doesn't have that many jump scares but in stead a lot of tension and having to make sure you keep track of people so they don't just blindside you.

Also I would recommend playing the game in Madhouse difficulty which is one above Normal, because in Normal difficulty I seem to have a load of ammo and health packs and auto saves so kind off removes some of the fear of dying.
Edited by: "ahmed123" 25th Jan

gamestraderjames

Can't speak from experience but I've read a lot of people find it makes … Can't speak from experience but I've read a lot of people find it makes them very dizzy/sick in VR. Something to do with moving in the game while standing still in real life, it's supposedly very disorientating

Demo was the first VR game that's ever made me feel slightly sick (all smooth turning switched on, no blinking). I worked out it's because you move in the direction you point your head, not the direction of the right stick. I wasn't expecting that. Now I understand how the movement works, I can compensate and I'm fine. It's worth taking that extra bit of time to really understand.

If you think you can avoid spoilers OP I'd definitely wait. It's one of the most complete VR games out at the moment. There's plenty of other standard games to play in the meantime.

keluar

Usually Pro enhancements for VR mean it's sharper with better framerate (and less queasiness with it).

Marcoos

Can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've read, it's … Can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've read, it's graphically better on the pro. I believe it's a bit more detailed. Which is to be expected from a AAA title, somethings not right if it's not had pro enhancements!

I have been thinking to get a PS4 pro just for improve VR experience. Unfortunately I don't have the 4K TV to make my purchase decision easier. But if it does improved on VR experience with RE7, I may go for the PS4 pro

Banned

keluar

I have been thinking to get a PS4 pro just for improve VR experience. … I have been thinking to get a PS4 pro just for improve VR experience. Unfortunately I don't have the 4K TV to make my purchase decision easier. But if it does improved on VR experience with RE7, I may go for the PS4 pro

I'm very close to getting a pro for this reason

keluar

I have been thinking to get a PS4 pro just for improve VR experience. … I have been thinking to get a PS4 pro just for improve VR experience. Unfortunately I don't have the 4K TV to make my purchase decision easier. But if it does improved on VR experience with RE7, I may go for the PS4 pro

When the developers get used to it 1080p @60fps is a no brainer at the price.
Stuff 4k! pc can't do it right yet, but I got the mick taken out of me on another post to try and compare a ps4 pro to a pc (said it was the equivalent to a gtx 970/980) and I own a pc with a 980ti.
To say I'm impressed with a pro at its price and psvr is an understatement.
Granted a pc and vive really is better but it costs near enough £2k to be that good.

geebeegooner

When the developers get used to it 1080p @60fps is a no brainer at the … When the developers get used to it 1080p @60fps is a no brainer at the price.Stuff 4k! pc can't do it right yet, but I got the mick taken out of me on another post to try and compare a ps4 pro to a pc (said it was the equivalent to a gtx 970/980) and I own a pc with a 980ti. To say I'm impressed with a pro at its price and psvr is an understatement. Granted a pc and vive really is better but it costs near enough £2k to be that good.

I have a GTX 970 with a [email protected] 30 inch monitior. I was going to get a 4K monitor but putting on hold atm. I guess I could compromise by playing on PC. PS4 pro price is ok but I would prefer to get with a deal. I want to play using VR headset but can't find anywhere saying the PS4 pro VR experience is better for RE 7 (e.g. More draw distance etc.) Does anyone know any difference?

Madhouse Mode Mia - tha's all I could watch on twitch.

I'm glad I can't afford the game, the console and the VR thingy! oO

Hurry up 3rd of March.......

keluar

I have a GTX 970 with a [email protected] 30 inch monitior. I was going to … I have a GTX 970 with a [email protected] 30 inch monitior. I was going to get a 4K monitor but putting on hold atm. I guess I could compromise by playing on PC. PS4 pro price is ok but I would prefer to get with a deal. I want to play using VR headset but can't find anywhere saying the PS4 pro VR experience is better for RE 7 (e.g. More draw distance etc.) Does anyone know any difference?

There are comparisons like this youtu.be/i0_…jlo but I believe this is showing it on a TV, not in VR.

It's confirmed as being Pro enhanced (4k, HDR) but VR details aren't mentioned: blog.eu.playstation.com/201…er/

Producer says it's best on Pro, but doesn't mention VR specifically: gamingbolt.com/res…dev

However there are tons of anecdotal reports of it being better on Pro. What's it worth to you for me to fire up my old console and plug my PSVR in to check? X)
Edited by: "MSK." 26th Jan

collecting vegetables and fruits to regain health is my kinda game...

... having a chainshaw removing one's hands hands (which is later stuck on by staples and gaffer tape) WTF??

Resident Evil isn't for me...and I'm glad I'm getting old.

BillySollox

collecting vegetables and fruits to regain health is my kinda game...... … collecting vegetables and fruits to regain health is my kinda game...... having a chainshaw removing one's hands hands (which is later stuck on by staples and gaffer tape) WTF??Resident Evil isn't for me...and I'm glad I'm getting old.

Fruit Ninja is an option.. though I think you may still be doing violent things to fruits X)

moneysavingkitten

Fruit Ninja is an option.. though I think you may still be doing violent … Fruit Ninja is an option.. though I think you may still be doing violent things to fruits X)

I'll refrain from what you say,

cos in 5 weeks, Zelda I'll play!! X)

BillySollox

I'll refrain from what you say, cos in 5 weeks, Zelda I'll play!! X)

Meh

moneysavingkitten

Meh

Just buy that Portishead cd I just posted as a deal then and educate yourself!!

X)

BillySollox

Just buy that Portishead cd I just posted as a deal then and educate … Just buy that Portishead cd I just posted as a deal then and educate yourself!! X)

Yes Mum

X)

[email protected]

Does harsh language work too?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person513
    2. How to remove bar at bottom of screen on ios 11.0.311
    3. Driving anxiety.3050
    4. Invisalign dental braces in London34

See more discussions