Will question

Posted 12th Feb
My mother-in-law done will around 3 years before but now she never paid monthly fees to solicitor for safe keeping of will .
Is this will still legally valid ?
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Yes. As long as she has signed it and it has been witnessed, it can be kept at home.
As long as she has not written one since it’s still valid.
The will, will be valid, but is the solicitor hasn't been paid in 3 years they might have binned it by now...
steve122113/02/2020 07:17

The will, will be valid, but is the solicitor hasn't been paid in 3 years …The will, will be valid, but is the solicitor hasn't been paid in 3 years they might have binned it by now...

lol. or demand that their backdated fees be paid before they will release the will
my in laws got their solicitors to keep the will but i didn't know there was a monthly fee for this. i would have thought there may have been a one off fee at the beginning.

i was thinking the other day that there should be a central location where all wills can be lodged for safe keeping, like the land registry database for example. then you wouldn't have to go looking for them in the attic when the old folks pass away or the ones kept at home get lost either unintentionally or even intentionally! or they are kept at the solicitors but no one knows they are there.

it wouldn't cost much to keep documents on the database so it would be a small annual fee, it would have to secure of course as you don't want people changing the wills online but it would be pretty easy to log any changes on a database to prevent this from happening without an alert be thrown up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants