Will these spaces be ok to sorn a car?

27 replies
Found 10th Oct 2016
Hi guys
I need to sorn a car until my daughter passes her test hopefully in 2 weeks.
As I've no driveway I've seen these car park spaces not far from me.
So I rang and a lady answered and they're £25 a month but she didn't know whether it would be a valid sorn location but she did say it's Private land so I would think so .
Picture in the first post I know you can't tell me for certain from a picture but wanting opinions
Cheers

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
27 Comments

Original Poster

http://imageshack.com/a/img921/7451/fMrpPw.jpg

hi is sorn a typing error
Edited by: "archer1204" 10th Oct 2016

Original Poster

archer1204

No it's the
Statuary off the road notification you have to do if not insured
Edited by: "stefromuk" 10th Oct 2016

archer1204

No.

gov.uk/mak…orn

If it's private, it will be fine. I would cover the number plate, or at least some of it, just in case it's picked up by a passing van - just to save the hassle of questioning it.

As long as its on private land it will be ok. You can only drive the vehicle on the road without tax for an MOT. So make sure its taxed before you move it again.

Original Poster

Cheers
I thought it looked ok another thing concerned me there's 2 signs on the back wall ones hers and another is this ukcps kind of sign not exactly certain on company so I asked her what that was and she said oh dont worry they just came and put the sign up and never come out .
Going to fully read the sign tonight

stefromuk

Cheers I thought it looked ok another thing concerned me there's 2 signs … Cheers I thought it looked ok another thing concerned me there's 2 signs on the back wall ones hers and another is this ukcps kind of sign not exactly certain on company so I asked her what that was and she said oh dont worry they just came and put the sign up and never come out .Going to fully read the sign tonight

I guess more importantly how do you know the land is hers?

Why not leave it in the Pub carpark (pictured)? Just say ,if asked, that you haven't sobered up yet .

Original Poster

rhinopaul

I guess more importantly how do you know the land is hers?

​i know yeah
she does provide the keys for the barriers though.
edit.
just rang her and she said don't worry about that sign it's my private land and they are just there to deter people from dumping things
Edited by: "stefromuk" 10th Oct 2016

Original Poster

rogparki

Why not leave it in the Pub carpark (pictured)? Just say ,if asked, that … Why not leave it in the Pub carpark (pictured)? Just say ,if asked, that you haven't sobered up yet .

​wish I could don't think I'd get away with 2 weeks lol

stefromuk

​i know yeah :(she does provide the keys for the barriers t … ​i know yeah :(she does provide the keys for the barriers though.edit.just rang her and she said don't worry about that sign it's my private land and they are just there to deter people from dumping things

Try this land registry and find out the owner, otherwise the town hall should be able to help.

gov.uk/sea…try

Or have a pint in the pub, always a good source of info.
Edited by: "rhinopaul" 10th Oct 2016

Banned

I wouldn't risk it. insurance said, the car needs to be insured if its Sorn.
your car will possibly get a ticket. I'd rather look for a garage, or park at your friends

sofiasar

I wouldn't risk it. insurance said, the car needs to be insured if its … I wouldn't risk it. insurance said, the car needs to be insured if its Sorn. your car will possibly get a ticket. I'd rather look for a garage, or park at your friends

You don't need insurance if sorn, where did you get that from?

Obviously you would risk it being damaged though, as you would have nothing to claim on.

Any private ground I believe.

stefromuk

No it's the Statuary off the road notification you have to do if not … No it's the Statuary off the road notification you have to do if not insured

​for car tax only. Insurance isnt part of this.

sofiasar

I wouldn't risk it. insurance said, the car needs to be insured if its … I wouldn't risk it. insurance said, the car needs to be insured if its Sorn. your car will possibly get a ticket. I'd rather look for a garage, or park at your friends

​what, a company selling insurance said you need insurance?

what a shocker...

but no, you don't.

Rich069

​for car tax only. Insurance isnt part of this.

Insurance is part of this, Stefromuk is correct, if your car isn't insured you have to Sorn it, even if its still taxed, otherwise you risk a fine for having no insurance.
From the gov.uk website;
You must make a SORN in any of the following situations:
your vehicle isn’t insured (even for a short time, for example because there’s a delay renewing your policy)

From 1 October 2008 unlicensed vehicles can be wheel clamped and/or
impounded even if kept off the public road, but there are important
exceptions to the new powers. It remains an offence to keep an
unlicensed vehicle on a public road. The change is that enforcement
action can now be taken off road (subject to exceptions) where
previously it could not.

The onus is on the keeper of a vehicle to ensure that the appropriate
tax disc has been obtained and is displayed on the corresponding vehicle
or Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) declaration made to the
Agency. Any vehicle with a SORN declaration must be kept on private land
and not used on the public road until the appropriate tax disc has been
obtained and is displayed on the vehicle related vehicle.

Insurance companies in the UK are trying to push for the same system that most of other europe has. I live in France and you have to have continuous insurance regardless of the car being parked on private land. They have a similar system to Sorn but it involves a lot of paper work and its for restoration only and involves the vehicle being immobilized such as having no battery and all wheels on stands.

UK Insurance companies are writing words to make people believe that they have to have continuous insurance when you dont have to unless on a public road.

Be careful though as UK insurance has changed over the years and in the small print will state things like having no MOT will invalidate the insurance even if parked on private land. Some wont even let you drive it to the MOT centre with an expired certificate.

Delbert Grady

Insurance is part of this, Stefromuk is correct, if your car isn't … Insurance is part of this, Stefromuk is correct, if your car isn't insured you have to Sorn it, even if its still taxed, otherwise you risk a fine for having no insurance.From the gov.uk website;You must make a SORN in any of the following situations:your vehicle isn’t insured (even for a short time, for example because there’s a delay renewing your policy)

​Apologies, and i guess you learn something every day!

Rich069

​Apologies, and i guess you learn something every day!

No problem, its difficult to stay up to date with motoring law when the Government keep changing the rules!

Bit of a grey area but this is worth a read:

gov.uk/gui…law

Relevant bit:

It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally inc … It is important to note that references to ‘road’ therefore generally include footpaths, bridleways and cycle tracks, and many roadways and driveways on private land (including many car parks). In most cases, the law will apply to them and there may be additional rules for particular paths or ways. Some serious driving offences, including drink-driving offences, also apply to all public places, for example public car parks.

My interpretation here is that you would not be able to park a car here as it's still legally classed as a road.

Banned

joshp

You don't need insurance if sorn, where did you get that from? Obviously … You don't need insurance if sorn, where did you get that from? Obviously you would risk it being damaged though, as you would have nothing to claim on.

​well like I said when we cancelled insurance they said the above.
ours is in garden with high Fencing so it can't be noticed

BeerDrinker

Bit of a grey area but this is worth a … Bit of a grey area but this is worth a read:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-4-the-road-user-and-the-lawRelevant bit:My interpretation here is that you would not be able to park a car here as it's still legally classed as a road.

Irrelevant whether its a road or not as long as its private land.

It is private land as it It privately owned - easy as that. It may have public access, but that does not make it a public road.

This may seem like a stupid question...... how much is the tax on the car? I'm assuming you are looking to sorn it so you don't have to tax it until she uses it? If you are going to pay £25 for a months ostking, is the tax seriously more than that?

Original Poster

wow few more comments from before.
I've moved the car there now I've been up to the ladies house and got a receipt.
Yeah it is definitely her private land she even shown me her deeds as she'd just renewed them this week she said.
Like mentioned there is the risk of damage but nearly all 8 spaces get filled up and most are far better than my daughter's and its only 2 roads away to keep a eye on it.
I was thinking earlier oh maybe I could just leave the Sorn part as it's in the space now with tax and mot but am going to Sorn it now.
thanks everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247572
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769251
    3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4711605
    4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710974

See more discussions