Will writing

Posted 12th Nov
Hello All, could you shed some light on will writing services please?
I’ve heard some horrible stories where a huge sum was paid to the underwriter.

Please let me know whats the red flags I need to be aware of?
Any recommendations please?
TIA.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Have you considered a "Do It Yourself" kit that will just need a signature from a solicitor...

[ amazon.co.uk/Las…W9/ ]
fanpages12/11/2019 19:31

Have you considered a "Do It Yourself" kit that will just need a signature …Have you considered a "Do It Yourself" kit that will just need a signature from a solicitor...[ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Will-Testament-LegalPathTM-Comprehensive/dp/B071J97XW9/ ]

I can't be bothered with all that will stuff. I'm just gonna try to not die.

Have you considered a "Do It Yourself" kit that will just need a signature …Have you considered a "Do It Yourself" kit that will just need a signature from a solicitor...[ https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Will-Testament-LegalPathTM-Comprehensive/dp/B071J97XW9/ ]

deeky12/11/2019 19:38

I can't be bothered with all that will stuff. I'm just gonna try to not …I can't be bothered with all that will stuff. I'm just gonna try to not die.

You are probably more worried about your prostate than what happens entering probate.
fanpages12/11/2019 19:42

You are probably more worried about your prostate than what happens …You are probably more worried about your prostate than what happens entering probate.

My prostate was just fine last time I 'examined' it
Beware of banks offering cheap/free will-writing services. I've read that banks used to bury a clause deep in the small print that they would be appointed executor when the time comes, at exorbitant cost.

thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml
I just went to local solicitors and did mine. It cost about £100. I have a copy and they keep one too.
Thanks.
Wadda12/11/2019 20:19

I just went to local solicitors and did mine. It cost about £100. I have a …I just went to local solicitors and did mine. It cost about £100. I have a copy and they keep one too.

Thanks.
Is there any catch? Should I cross check hiring another solicitor to make sure every word is legally correct and that my dependents will be protected?
Appreciate every bit of info please.

I had not even heard about it tbh. Apologies as I’m new to these things.

1) Is this a valid legal document once solicitor signs?
2) who will be in possession of the will? I mean a copy for myself and another copy for solicitor to keep it safe?
3) because I’m a complete amateur to this area should I consider approaching an independent solicitor?
We are looking at wills just now and somethings can either be easy or difficult.
DIY ones are legal enough but are they what you need?
Need to factor in any inheritance tax, guardians of children, money I trust till they are a certain age, etc.

The way I see it, we are going through a solicitor. Getting powers of attorney drawn up too and thinking ahead. It’s not cheap for us but worth it for the kids. One less gadget in my budget this year vs their financial security should the worst happen.
mustangt12/11/2019 20:26

I had not even heard about it tbh. Apologies as I’m new to these things. 1 …I had not even heard about it tbh. Apologies as I’m new to these things. 1) Is this a valid legal document once solicitor signs? 2) who will be in possession of the will? I mean a copy for myself and another copy for solicitor to keep it safe? 3) because I’m a complete amateur to this area should I consider approaching an independent solicitor?

1) Yes
2) Anybody you wish to be. Keep one with the solicitor if you wish, but make sure your next of kin/estate recipients named within the will know the document exists.
3) Which solicitors are not independent? Do you mean a solicitor that your partner/spouse does not use? I'm not sure if I understand that question.
Hacked12/11/2019 21:14

Comment deleted

I wish I had suggested that.

Oh... I did...

Lots of charities offer free will writing services, cancer research for example, lots of solicitors belong to these free will writing schemes, you have to be over 55 to take advantage of most of them, it's definitely woth asking at your local solicitor, or ask the charity for a list of solicitors in your area.

Cancer Research

cancerresearchuk.org/get…ice
Edited by: "4Real2016" 12th Nov
I offer a free will writing service, just leave it all to me
Hacked12/11/2019 21:25

I offer a free will writing service, just leave it all to me

Oneday7712/11/2019 20:49

We are looking at wills just now and somethings can either be easy or …We are looking at wills just now and somethings can either be easy or difficult. DIY ones are legal enough but are they what you need?Need to factor in any inheritance tax, guardians of children, money I trust till they are a certain age, etc. The way I see it, we are going through a solicitor. Getting powers of attorney drawn up too and thinking ahead. It’s not cheap for us but worth it for the kids. One less gadget in my budget this year vs their financial security should the worst happen.

Oneday7712/11/2019 20:49

We are looking at wills just now and somethings can either be easy or …We are looking at wills just now and somethings can either be easy or difficult. DIY ones are legal enough but are they what you need?Need to factor in any inheritance tax, guardians of children, money I trust till they are a certain age, etc. The way I see it, we are going through a solicitor. Getting powers of attorney drawn up too and thinking ahead. It’s not cheap for us but worth it for the kids. One less gadget in my budget this year vs their financial security should the worst happen.

I totally second your thoughts. It’s better to have financial security in place.
Just pick up a pack from the Post office - £19 and you do it yourself and just get it witnessed by a friend who isn't list on the will itself.

Plenty of helpful tips on the internet as to how to format your will, but you don't have to do it in a formal way if you don't want to.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants