Wimbledon advice (from experience) wanted

Posted 5th Feb
Morning all,

I've landed myself a pair of Wimbledon tickets in the ballot for the first time in my life, over the moon.

I'm wondering if people, who have been in the past couple of years, can recommend things like best places to stay while attending, places not too far that have simple transport routes to the venue maybe, times to arrive, things to avoid, likelihood of getting last minute tickets for the next day, general suggestions, etc

All experienced advice very much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Wow, congratulations! I have been there and loved every minute of the day. I also live about a mile and a half away from the club, so here goes...

Don't stay anywhere near it - stupidly expensive even otherwise and crowded. The closest Tube stations are Southfields and Wimbledon Park, both on the District line. So your choices are anywhere on the East bound District line towards Edgware Road or towards Upminster. I would personally prefer the Edgware Road side as there are many hotel options around all the stations on this branch. Plus a million food options.

Looking beyond Wimbledon, Richmond Park, the largest royal park, isn't far away. If you are a Chelsea fan, then Stamford Brooks is 4 stations away on the District line. Buckingham Palace is also on the District and Circle lines.

What are your interests though? And where are you coming from?
Edited by: "bozo007" 5th Feb
bozo00705/02/2020 10:06

Wow, congratulations! I have been there and loved every minute of the day. …Wow, congratulations! I have been there and loved every minute of the day. I also live about a mile and a half away from the club, so here goes... Don't stay anywhere near it - stupidly expensive even otherwise and crowded. The closest Tube stations are Southfields and Wimbledon Park, both on the District line. So your choices are anywhere on the East bound District line towards Edgware Road or towards Upminster. I would personally prefer the Edgware Road side as there are many hotel options around all the stations on this branch. Plus a million food options. Looking beyond Wimbledon, Richmond Park, the largest royal park, isn't far away. If you are a Chelsea fan, then Stamford Brooks is 4 stations away on the District line. Buckingham Palace is also on the District and Circle lines.What are your interests though? And where are you coming from?

Thanks for your reply, exactly what I was looking for.

My thoughts where similar on the accommodation, so I will look further afield and utilise the tube system with an early start!

I've been to London plenty of times (work and pleasure) so i'm not too fussed on other activities to get up to, just ticking Wimbledon off the old bucket list! And I wouldn't be too welcome at Stamford Bridge being a Scouser and Liverpool fan (although I live in Glasgow now, so will ideally get the express train into London Euston which I find much more convenient that flying into "near-London")

When you went, did you have allocated tickets and just go for the one session? I was thinking of staying a couple of days and trying in the morning for the late availability and returned tickets to take full advantage. While i'm delighted to be there, i've got Court No.1 and if I can somehow tick off Centre Court too i'd be over the moon!
LeeTheRed9605/02/2020 10:33

Thanks for your reply, exactly what I was looking for.My thoughts where …Thanks for your reply, exactly what I was looking for.My thoughts where similar on the accommodation, so I will look further afield and utilise the tube system with an early start!I've been to London plenty of times (work and pleasure) so i'm not too fussed on other activities to get up to, just ticking Wimbledon off the old bucket list! And I wouldn't be too welcome at Stamford Bridge being a Scouser and Liverpool fan (although I live in Glasgow now, so will ideally get the express train into London Euston which I find much more convenient that flying into "near-London")When you went, did you have allocated tickets and just go for the one session? I was thinking of staying a couple of days and trying in the morning for the late availability and returned tickets to take full advantage. While i'm delighted to be there, i've got Court No.1 and if I can somehow tick off Centre Court too i'd be over the moon!

I was very lucky to get a friend's debenture tickets so didn't have to think too much about it. Court 1 is now very nice thanks to the new roof but Centre Court is something you should definitely try to do.
Lucky! I entered the ballot but no word yet. Enjoy!
Congratulations! Wimbledon and Anfield are the 2 venue I really want to experience but can't get tickets for either!!
bozo00705/02/2020 17:13

I was very lucky to get a friend's debenture tickets so didn't have to …I was very lucky to get a friend's debenture tickets so didn't have to think too much about it. Court 1 is now very nice thanks to the new roof but Centre Court is something you should definitely try to do.

Yeah that’s the idea mate. Was hoping for centre court to simplify things, but I’ll try and just make a few days of it!

My missus used to live in London so I’ll assign the hotel/subway responsibilities to her, but nabbing the extra days will be on me I’ll bet!
mas12305/02/2020 17:25

Lucky! I entered the ballot but no word yet. Enjoy!

Today was the final day for payment, so I imagine the next round of ballot options might follow soon?
nadhaw05/02/2020 18:17

Congratulations! Wimbledon and Anfield are the 2 venue I really want to …Congratulations! Wimbledon and Anfield are the 2 venue I really want to experience but can't get tickets for either!!

Liverpool tickets are about as hard as centre court at the minute! After all, we’re basically the Novak Djokovic of football right now
LeeTheRed9605/02/2020 20:14

Today was the final day for payment, so I imagine the next round of ballot …Today was the final day for payment, so I imagine the next round of ballot options might follow soon?

Hopefully. Fingers crossed!
Thanks op reminded me to opt in LTA members draw that closes Feb 14. Enjoy the day a great event I would recommend going early 11am to watch a few outside courts especially week 1. Would recommend to walk from Wimbledon train station or nearest tube rather than taxi or bus just follow the crowds.
Edited by: "duncan5112" 5th Feb
duncan511205/02/2020 22:43

Thanks op reminded me to opt in LTA members draw that closes Feb 14. Enjoy …Thanks op reminded me to opt in LTA members draw that closes Feb 14. Enjoy the day a great event I would recommend going early 11am to watch a few outside courts especially week 1. Would recommend to walk from Wimbledon train station or nearest tube rather than taxi or bus just follow the crowds.

It is a 15-20 mins walk from Southfields station, or from Wimbledon Park. Wimbledon itself is not the right station for the tennis courts unless you are arriving on the main line.
bozo00705/02/2020 22:57

It is a 15-20 mins walk from Southfields station, or from Wimbledon Park. …It is a 15-20 mins walk from Southfields station, or from Wimbledon Park. Wimbledon itself is not the right station for the tennis courts unless you are arriving on the main line.

Hi yes good point I should have stressed tube better unless train line or tram is convenient did mention nearest tube though. The walk is not that bad from Wimbledon station though done it many times.
The couple of times i've been to Wimbledon i've stayed at the Travelodge at Fulham Broadway as just a few stops on the tube and normally cheap. Obviously not at all fancy but was clean and pretty quiet and a few places about bar wise for a drink or two.
duncan511205/02/2020 22:43

Thanks op reminded me to opt in LTA members draw that closes Feb 14. Enjoy …Thanks op reminded me to opt in LTA members draw that closes Feb 14. Enjoy the day a great event I would recommend going early 11am to watch a few outside courts especially week 1. Would recommend to walk from Wimbledon train station or nearest tube rather than taxi or bus just follow the crowds.

Great advice mate, thank you.

What's the perks of the LTA membership like for you? Worth it other than the extra ballot benefit?
bozo00705/02/2020 22:57

It is a 15-20 mins walk from Southfields station, or from Wimbledon Park. …It is a 15-20 mins walk from Southfields station, or from Wimbledon Park. Wimbledon itself is not the right station for the tennis courts unless you are arriving on the main line.

Thanks mate, will keep those stations on the radar!
cdm2205/02/2020 23:19

The couple of times i've been to Wimbledon i've stayed at the Travelodge …The couple of times i've been to Wimbledon i've stayed at the Travelodge at Fulham Broadway as just a few stops on the tube and normally cheap. Obviously not at all fancy but was clean and pretty quiet and a few places about bar wise for a drink or two.

Actually looked at Fulham myself mate, thanks for the shout.

All I need from a hotel is a bed to sleep in really, not fussed about anything fancy and the costs of this will start to pile up soon enough!
LeeTheRed9606/02/2020 14:50

Great advice mate, thank you.What's the perks of the LTA membership like …Great advice mate, thank you.What's the perks of the LTA membership like for you? Worth it other than the extra ballot benefit?

Hi LTA membership perks not sure. Though does give high chance of Wimbledon tickets been 5 out if last 8 years some years twice. The cost for me is minimal I belong to local park court who are affiliated to LTA cost £20 family so I get 3 ballots each year. The park court scheme is really good check up to see if your local area has one. Even if you never play worth it for £20 and high chance Wimbledon tickets.
One other thought if you wanted to experience centre court you could queue later in the day for return ticket cost I think £10. That way could see perhaps late evening centre assuming no great match no 1. Some days queue for returned tickets not long especially after 6pm. I think both have roof now so guarantee tennis and no 1 very good court too.
A point to note is show court tickets way cheaper week 1 than week 2 really ramp up price at qf stage onwards
Enjoy the day hopefully I get there again this year.
duncan511206/02/2020 15:18

Hi LTA membership perks not sure. Though does give high chance of …Hi LTA membership perks not sure. Though does give high chance of Wimbledon tickets been 5 out if last 8 years some years twice. The cost for me is minimal I belong to local park court who are affiliated to LTA cost £20 family so I get 3 ballots each year. The park court scheme is really good check up to see if your local area has one. Even if you never play worth it for £20 and high chance Wimbledon tickets. One other thought if you wanted to experience centre court you could queue later in the day for return ticket cost I think £10. That way could see perhaps late evening centre assuming no great match no 1. Some days queue for returned tickets not long especially after 6pm. I think both have roof now so guarantee tennis and no 1 very good court too. A point to note is show court tickets way cheaper week 1 than week 2 really ramp up price at qf stage onwards Enjoy the day hopefully I get there again this year.

When you say later in the day, do you mean if people leave and their seat becomes free?

Or do you mean after 6pm for the next days Tennis?
Meant when people leave some return tickets and Wimbledon resell on for charity used to be £10 not sure 2020. There is a place you queue for returned tickets. May be worth it if queue not too long, so many staff to ask where return ticket sale is. Later in the day of course more get returned so 6 is probably good time or queue while break in one game finished no 1 court.
Edited by: "duncan5112" 6th Feb
duncan511206/02/2020 15:31

Meant when people leave some return tickets and Wimbledon resell on for …Meant when people leave some return tickets and Wimbledon resell on for charity used to be £10 not sure 2020. There is a place you queue for returned tickets. May be worth it if queue not too long, so many staff to ask where return ticket sale is. Later in the day of course more get returned so 6 is probably good time or queue while break in one game finished no 1 court.

Got you, thanks mate!

Great advice on the LTA stuff too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants