win 8.1 to win 10

Posted 23rd Jan
had to reset a relatives lenovo g50 due to an endless startup loop, there was no restore points made.

it was on win 10 but now on 8.1, is it free? and how easy is it to get win 10?

will i need to update win 8.1 before win 10 upgrade?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
I assume when you say "reset" you mean restored the laptop to it's factory preset? The laptop was obviously on Windows 8.1 from new. How did it become 10? Did the 'relative' upgrade it or did they buy it secondhand already on Win 10?

I still like 8.1 myself (although I'm a Linux user mainly) but it seems from many threads I've seen in discussions that you can still upgrade for 'free' to 10 using the media creation tool. As I've seen member AndyRoyd say on many similar posts, the Win 10 O/S can be used for free but in a kind of 'locked' state - i.e. you can't customise things as much as a fully registered version. If you want to go "full" you can pick up a cheap serial from the many sellers on Ebay. I'll just warn that they are not ALL guaranteed to be 'trouble-free' serials though (which is why they are cheap) but; again; many members will contest that they have had no problems at all.

As far as I know, no - you don't have to update the 8.1 BEFORE moving to 10 as the new O/S will replace the old one anyway. Then, you'll probably have to do a plethora of 'updates' anyway! Oh the joy...

All the best, Phsy.
The PC is already licensed for Windows 10 as it's previously been installed. It's just a case of grabbing the Windows 10 installer from the Microsoft website and installing it.

(Windows 8.1 keys are also valid for Windows 10, so even if it hasn't been upgraded you wouldn't have needed one of the dubious ebay keys).
EndlessWaves24/01/2020 13:11

(Windows 8.1 keys are also valid for Windows 10, so even if it hasn't been …(Windows 8.1 keys are also valid for Windows 10, so even if it hasn't been upgraded you wouldn't have needed one of the dubious ebay keys).

That's good to know, EW. I thought that when the 'official upgrade' period ended, the validity of a sub '10' key wouldn't be recognised. So even if you've never upgraded before, a Win 8.1 key will give you a 'full' install of 10? Or just the free 'S' version?
Phsycronix24/01/2020 15:02

That's good to know, EW. I thought that when the 'official upgrade' period …That's good to know, EW. I thought that when the 'official upgrade' period ended, the validity of a sub '10' key wouldn't be recognised.

Yeah, most people did. But Microsoft have continued to accept them as valid.

Windows 10 S was discontinued some time ago. It was never a free version, but instead it was one that only allowed programs to be installed that had been security checked by Microsoft. It was aimed at less knowledgable users and markets like education where the more locked down environment was beneficial.

It got replaced by a 'S Mode' for full Windows 10 so private buyers could switch it off if they desired.

The only limitation of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 keys as far as I'm aware is that they give you the corresponding OEM/Retail version of Windows 10. This means that if you got Windows bundled with a computer (an OEM copy) then you can't later transfer it to a different computer, unlike if you'd bought a boxed retail version.
Use this link for a free upgrade Here
batezy_198424/01/2020 15:44

Use this link for a free upgrade Here

BTW I upgraded a work laptop from 7 to 10 using this and works perfect. It is a Microsoft link
Phsycronix24/01/2020 11:36

I assume when you say "reset" you mean restored the laptop to it's factory …I assume when you say "reset" you mean restored the laptop to it's factory preset? The laptop was obviously on Windows 8.1 from new. How did it become 10? Did the 'relative' upgrade it or did they buy it secondhand already on Win 10?I still like 8.1 myself (although I'm a Linux user mainly) but it seems from many threads I've seen in discussions that you can still upgrade for 'free' to 10 using the media creation tool. As I've seen member AndyRoyd say on many similar posts, the Win 10 O/S can be used for free but in a kind of 'locked' state - i.e. you can't customise things as much as a fully registered version. If you want to go "full" you can pick up a cheap serial from the many sellers on Ebay. I'll just warn that they are not ALL guaranteed to be 'trouble-free' serials though (which is why they are cheap) but; again; many members will contest that they have had no problems at all.As far as I know, no - you don't have to update the 8.1 BEFORE moving to 10 as the new O/S will replace the old one anyway. Then, you'll probably have to do a plethora of 'updates' anyway! Oh the joy... All the best, Phsy.

yes must have been upgraded previously to win 10, it is a legit copy originally 8.1, did the upgrade today, all went well, no need to find serial, as u say just need to do many updates .
leitchyleck24/01/2020 19:58

yes must have been upgraded previously to win 10, it is a legit copy …yes must have been upgraded previously to win 10, it is a legit copy originally 8.1, did the upgrade today, all went well, no need to find serial, as u say just need to do many updates .

That's great news. Glad it all went well.

On a sillier note, nothing beats having the most up-to-date version of their "spying" OS, eh?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants