EXPIRED

Win a 40 inch LCD HD TV (3D ready) + 7.1 home theatre audio system @ Intersport

mod
Only one football team progressed through this year's World Cup in South Africa without losing a single match. But which one was it?

Choices are Spain, Switzerland, New Zealand

And the actual answer is none of them, although this is not an option.

Spain lost their opening game against the Swiss but then progressed without losing any further games; Switzerland lost to Chile in their second game and finished third and didn't progress. New Zealand finished third having drawn all of their group matches, which meant that they didn't progress.

So, I am guessing the answer is NZ, and it's just a badly worded question

Good luck

26 Comments

Original Poster mod

https://thehut.pantherssl.com/banners/intersport-comp-Cinema-top-v2.jpg
https://thehut.pantherssl.com/banners/intersport-comp-Cinema-prizes-v2.jpg
https://thehut.pantherssl.com/banners/intersport-comp-Cinema-bottom-01-v2.jpghttps://thehut.pantherssl.com/banners/intersport-comp-Cinema-bottom-02-v2.jpg
Edited by: "andywedge" 15th Sep 2010

Thanks! And yes New Zealand is the answer

:Dthank you - tricky one that!

thanks mate

Cheers Andy

good one thanks

thanks

Another stealth box at the botttom of the page, beware!
Heat added though

Nice one, thanks

thanks

Thx - good info and prize

Banned

And the actual answer is none of them, although this is not an option

WRONG!

Actually New Zealand were unbeaten.... 3 draws.... so they did not technically lose a match

thanks

Original Poster mod

seefman

And the actual answer is none of them, although this is not an … And the actual answer is none of them, although this is not an optionWRONG!Actually New Zealand were unbeaten.... 3 draws.... so they did not technically lose a match

If you look at the question seefman it reads "Only one football team progressed through this year's World Cup in South Africa without losing a single match. But which one was it?"
As I already pointed out NZ drew all of their matches but they did not progress as they finished third. Only the teams who finished in the top two spots in their groups progressed to the next stage. NZ did not. Only Spain progressed in the choices given but lost their opening match. So, either the question is badly worded or the correct answer is not there.

Thanks

Cheers

Banned

andywedge

If you look at the question seefman it reads "Only one football team … If you look at the question seefman it reads "Only one football team progressed through this year's World Cup in South Africa without losing a single match. But which one was it?"As I already pointed out NZ drew all of their matches but they did not progress as they finished third. Only the teams who finished in the top two spots in their groups progressed to the next stage. NZ did not. Only Spain progressed in the choices given but lost their opening match. So, either the question is badly worded or the correct answer is not there.

WRONG!

New Zealand DID progress through the World Cup unbeaten. The question does not stipulate HOW FAR they progressed...

They progressed through the World Cup unbeaten UNTIL they failed to transfer out of the group stage due to lack of points. FACT.

In any case, do you not think it is obvious that you can only progress as far as you actually progress?

There is nothing wrong with the question!

Edited by: "seefman" 16th Sep 2010

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af309/trent-bishop/Gifs/DianeG55.gif

Thanks. This ones a bit of a minefield isnt it?

;):D

Thanks

Thank you

The question now reads:

Name the team that didn't lose a game in the 2010 World Cup Finals and didn't progress into the knock out stages.

Spain
Switzerland
New Zealand

As in the OP... I say New Zealand...

Original Poster mod

Roadblock2000

The question now reads:Name the team that didn't lose a game in the 2010 … The question now reads:Name the team that didn't lose a game in the 2010 World Cup Finals and didn't progress into the knock out stages.SpainSwitzerlandNew ZealandAs in the OP... I say New Zealand...

Cheers Roadblock2000
Glad they fixed it

thanks

seefman

WRONG!New Zealand DID progress through the World Cup unbeaten. The … WRONG!New Zealand DID progress through the World Cup unbeaten. The question does not stipulate HOW FAR they progressed...They progressed through the World Cup unbeaten UNTIL they failed to transfer out of the group stage due to lack of points. FACT.In any case, do you not think it is obvious that you can only progress as far as you actually progress?There is nothing wrong with the question!

I agree with Andy - poorly worded question. In tournament terms 'progressed through' would normally imply that they advanced beyond the group stage.

Heat added.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. TopCashBack - Summer Treats Competition Answers3566
    2. Win a £250 Pride of Britain voucher @ Pride of Britain99
    3. E: 24/08 Win a Gadget Bundle with Mr Hyde2727
    4. Win £50,000 with ITV7 (Closes 1:55pm Thursday 24/08)22

See more discussions