Hi guys, looking for a wee bit of advice, we're looking to convert our 2 bedroom house into a 3 by putting up a partition wall, obviously there would need to be a window put in to this extra room, does anyone know ....

    1. Do you need planning permission for putting a window in?

    2. Roughly how much it would cost to put the window in?
    Thanks in advance x


    if your opening up an outside wall and putting lintels in then yes defo need at least a small buildings notice off your local authority. Give them a ring to make sure your doing things right (less hassle than finding out something's not right and having to spend more to put it right)

    Just avoid Anglian Windows for any work, good luck.

    You might have to have obscure glass if it overlooks your neighbours windows

    Original Poster

    Thanks for the info guys yeah opening up an outside wall, so will def give them a wee ring x

    Yes, you require planning permission. Don''t know where you are but, should you be in Scotland, there's a company called SRJ Windows who are based near Dunfermline. They are fantastic and, over the past few years, have installed windows, doors and a conservatory for us. We are going back to them soon for an extra window in our lounge. Great after-sales, lovely people and they will take care of planning permission for you.

    If you want to do the work under 'permitted development rights' you will need to put class 3 or greater obscure glass in. If you want to put in an ordinary window then you may require planning consent.

    I would recommend you get the services of an architect as they will be aware of current regulations. You will, in any case, need a set of drawings and a calculations into the load bearing lintel of your proposal to comply with building regulations. The architect should also be able to design cost out, by specifying 'standard' materials' and will also be able to recommend a 'trustworthy' tradesman to do the work.

    As to cost, £400 for architect, allow £100 for planning application, £800 for builder to 'knock hole in wall' fit lintel, double glazed unit and sill, make good and remove builders waste. Allow £400 for double glazed unit, trim and sill, sealant and sundries. Expect to pay £100+ for the lintel, depending on specification. So with VAT circa £2.1k, on top of that you will have the cost of the partition wall and redecoration to factor in, which could well double the cost, depending on scope and specification.

    Original Poster

    Yeah i am in Scotland so will definitely keep them in mind thank you so much x

    Original Poster

    I have all the materials to do the wall as my father in law will be doing this. Just really the costs of the window to cover! thank you all x

    Original Poster

    Yeah i am in Scotland so will definitely keep them in mind thank you so much x
    Post a comment
      Top Discussions
      1. Bathroom suites24
      2. VM Super Hub 3 printer issues34
      3. Xiaomi redmi note 4 firmware47
      4. Unfair Dismissal22

      See more discussions