Groups
    EXPIRED

window 7

I have 2 PC towers,I with xp on and 1 with windows 7 for which I have cd.This was a refurbished tower which I have recently bought .It it possible to load cd over xp and will it work.

10 Comments

Yes, but a format and install is always better than an upgrade. Plus you'll need another licence for the new install.

Why not partition the hard drive and then install windows 7 alongside XP? That way you can dual boot and choose which operating system you want to use. I have some hardware here that I can't get to work with windows 7 so this is was an ideal solution for me, when I want to use the scanner I just boot up into XP.

craigstephens

Yes, but a format and install is always better than an upgrade. Plus … Yes, but a format and install is always better than an upgrade. Plus you'll need another licence for the new install.

Agree above. Your win 7 licence allows you to install on one computer only. You have applied this to the current tower. The XP requires either an upgrade a Windows Serial Key OR you need a new Win 7 code for a new install onto the tower. You will likely run into problems as the code on your 7 PC is linked to the physical mechanics of the computer and if you try and install it on the other, either won't be able to or you invalidate the EULA and may ur into problems trying to activate.

Original Poster

Thanks for your help,,but haven't a clue how to dual boot and am worried in case I do something wrong.Also which is better to use crome or firefox instead of internet explorer

lol ok long answer....

unless you house internet explorer 10+ , then font even consider it, only reason its on my PC is because a) it comes with windows, and b) 0.0001% of sites only work with internet explorer.

Firefox and chrome are just as good as each other these days, firefox used to be slower in the past but is pretty much as fast as chrome now. Firefox had more advanced extensions and addons than chrome in the past but both again are comparable these days.

only advantage with chrome is that its slightly easier for a novice to use. and that's about it

short answer....

please don't use internet explorer and switch to chrome. :-)

If your Windows 7 computer came with the key on the case and Windows7 pre installed by the manufacturer then you should be ok to use the key on another computer because the key used on the original PC will be a bulk batch that is installed in the manufacturing process and it will never have used the key on the PC. Basically the key on the PC will never have been registered so you can use it on any other install, Microsoft will never know.

Only problem is, is if you need to reinstall your original PC, you will not have a licence key as you will have now used it on your other PC.

NEtech

If your Windows 7 computer came with the key on the case and Windows7 pre … If your Windows 7 computer came with the key on the case and Windows7 pre installed by the manufacturer then you should be ok to use the key on another computer because the key used on the original PC will be a bulk batch that is installed in the manufacturing process and it will never have used the key on the PC. Basically the key on the PC will never have been registered so you can use it on any other install, Microsoft will never know.

You CANT move a preinstalled copy of Windows to another PC. The license does not allow that.

Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your help.Think I will leave best alone.Cheers

Just install win 7 on the pc, when you have finished register it with Microsoft and it may ask you to phone an 0800 number to enter a set of numbers, you will be asked how many pc's it is installed on, just say one.

edwardslindaandray

Thanks everybody for your help.Think I will leave best alone.Cheers

Yes, if you are not experienced then any sort of snag will leave you with a dead computer, not worth messing about with, it is rarely a simple job installing an operating system.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best VR games?22
      2. What to do?????23
      3. Virgin Media Superhub 3 Settings55
      4. Good Sim only deals??611

See more discussions