window cleaners

Found 20th Feb
Hi All,

quick question, a window cleaner came and cleaned my window, don't know who it was but they posted a leaflet in the post to say we are new etc and have cleaned your windows for free, we will charge 6 pound every 2 weeks to clean your windows, to cancel please email or ring this number. anyway I forgot to ring to say no because they were rubbish anyway but he has been twice since and has now put a charge of 12 pound on me. I know its only 12 quid but can they legally do that. its a contract they are making without my permission in reality? this can obviously other questions for people in similar contracts.

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Oh that is rude beyond belief. I would be so cross if someone randomly decided they could access my property without asking , just imagine if they had caused damage whilst cleaning your Windows without permission .

To be honest this is almost in the scam territory , asking for cash for a service you neither asked for or agreed to , which has also been poorly executed.I can imagine older or less confident people paying out to them . Personally I would be tempted to call your non emergency police and just inform them of the situation in case it helps protect someone else , in case they are the type that gain the trust of vunerable people by doing small jobs and then move on to asking for payments for larger ones. It might just be a very uninformed person trying his luck with a new business, but that's totally unacceptable. I would also have a chat to my neighbours and see if they had the same thing happen.

Oh and and cancel them too
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 20th Feb
Skaman8 m ago

Definitely not enforceable in any way but playing devils advocate I can …Definitely not enforceable in any way but playing devils advocate I can see it from the window cleaners point of view, he's trying to build up a business so it's a sensible approach to clean them for free and then ask you to cancel if you don't want them doing again as it would be virtually impossible to keep knocking on doors asking people if they want their windows cleaned as they would just be ignored, people wouldn't be in, older/vulnerable people might think it's a scam etc. slightly dodgy ground here though as these same people might feel bullied into paying for something they don't want. I'd email or ring and say you never agreed to anything so aren't paying and don't want them doing again.

But the better way of doing this would be to clean them for free, leave a card and say if you are happy with the work and want to continue using me then my details are...give me a ring to tell me to carry on. Not automatically say i'll keep coming and you owe me £6 a go. People are busy/can't be bothered ringing to cancel stuff they had no intention of asking for in the first place..

Even that way to clean all the windows of a house he'd have to go around the back and i wouldn't feel comfortable with someone i haven't asked to do that
41 Comments
I'm sure something like this can't be legal.
I wouldn't pay, you haven't agreed or signed any contract(or even spoke to them!) for them to do the work.

If they ever tried to take you to court or baliffs they'd get laughed out
Edited by: "winifer" 20th Feb
that's what I thought, Im thinking of just not paying and see what they can do?
I don't know if it's above board though I doubt it, but it ain't half cheeky
winifer1 m ago

I wouldn't pay, you haven't agreed or signed any contract(or even spoke to …I wouldn't pay, you haven't agreed or signed any contract(or even spoke to them!) for them to do the work.If they ever tried to take you to court or baliffs they'd get laughed out

I think I might just do that, probs be a good laugh.
Oh that is rude beyond belief. I would be so cross if someone randomly decided they could access my property without asking , just imagine if they had caused damage whilst cleaning your Windows without permission .

To be honest this is almost in the scam territory , asking for cash for a service you neither asked for or agreed to , which has also been poorly executed.I can imagine older or less confident people paying out to them . Personally I would be tempted to call your non emergency police and just inform them of the situation in case it helps protect someone else , in case they are the type that gain the trust of vunerable people by doing small jobs and then move on to asking for payments for larger ones. It might just be a very uninformed person trying his luck with a new business, but that's totally unacceptable. I would also have a chat to my neighbours and see if they had the same thing happen.

Oh and and cancel them too
Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 20th Feb
Suggest you report it to your local trading standards as whilst they may be genuine, there maybe a whole lot of vunerable people who will pay up.
Definitely not enforceable in any way but playing devils advocate I can see it from the window cleaners point of view, he's trying to build up a business so it's a sensible approach to clean them for free and then ask you to cancel if you don't want them doing again as it would be virtually impossible to keep knocking on doors asking people if they want their windows cleaned as they would just be ignored, people wouldn't be in, older/vulnerable people might think it's a scam etc. slightly dodgy ground here though as these same people might feel bullied into paying for something they don't want. I'd email or ring and say you never agreed to anything so aren't paying and don't want them doing again.
Unless you asked them to come and clean your Windows it is considered an unsolicited service and you owe them no compensation for their work.
May be they mixed up house numbers, meaning to clean a neighbours windows or may be they are crooks - who knows.

Unless the phone number is one of those expensive 09... 087... or 070 numbers I would suggest it to be fair that you do call them and advise them to stop, unless they do want to continue doing it for nothing.

Can you upload a picture of the leaflet please?
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 20th Feb
Skaman8 m ago

Definitely not enforceable in any way but playing devils advocate I can …Definitely not enforceable in any way but playing devils advocate I can see it from the window cleaners point of view, he's trying to build up a business so it's a sensible approach to clean them for free and then ask you to cancel if you don't want them doing again as it would be virtually impossible to keep knocking on doors asking people if they want their windows cleaned as they would just be ignored, people wouldn't be in, older/vulnerable people might think it's a scam etc. slightly dodgy ground here though as these same people might feel bullied into paying for something they don't want. I'd email or ring and say you never agreed to anything so aren't paying and don't want them doing again.

But the better way of doing this would be to clean them for free, leave a card and say if you are happy with the work and want to continue using me then my details are...give me a ring to tell me to carry on. Not automatically say i'll keep coming and you owe me £6 a go. People are busy/can't be bothered ringing to cancel stuff they had no intention of asking for in the first place..

Even that way to clean all the windows of a house he'd have to go around the back and i wouldn't feel comfortable with someone i haven't asked to do that
Sounds like an opportunist, there will probably be vulnerable people out there who will fall for this and pay up rather than make a fuss.

As others have said - you never asked for the service, you're not obliged to pay for it.

If watchdog are still going you should report them.
deleted79467
george would be turning in his grave if he heard about these scammers

33297921-Yq8Xm.jpg
You don't have to pay a penny, this is what cowboy cleaners do, I work from time to time for my uncle and this is seriously frowned upon.
winifer3 h, 55 m ago

But the better way of doing this would be to clean them for free, leave a …But the better way of doing this would be to clean them for free, leave a card and say if you are happy with the work and want to continue using me then my details are...give me a ring to tell me to carry on. Not automatically say i'll keep coming and you owe me £6 a go. People are busy/can't be bothered ringing to cancel stuff they had no intention of asking for in the first place..Even that way to clean all the windows of a house he'd have to go around the back and i wouldn't feel comfortable with someone i haven't asked to do that

This.
Did you previously get your windows cleaned, has this new cleaner taken over/bought someone's 'patch' and he's trying to increase his customers?

I know several window cleaners, they all do a great job, (or they wouldn't make a living out of it I suppose) agree this ones been a bit cheeky, but simply speak to him explain you forgot to cancel, but the windows weren't cleaned to your satisfaction, you may find he's got a new young worker etc, there may be a genuine reason why the windows weren't cleaned properly.

Mines got a new lad working with him, doing a great job keeping up with the old hand, turns out he was only doing half the windows and he was embarrassed to tell the older guy he was struggling to keep up, we've all got to start somewhere haven't we..?

I see them as an integral part of the local community.

Just last week, a young girl was saved from a burning property only 2 miles from me by a window cleaner working nearby and a joiner who lives close.

eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/…re/

If no-one employed that window cleaner he wouldn't have been there, and the joiner wouldn't have had quick access to a ladder....
Edited by: "andynicol" 20th Feb
Tell them you have a window cleaner friend who calls round every few weeks and does them, so you don't need them.
hate window cleaners with a passion i mean £6 for 10 mins work tops? £30 bux an hour allowing for 2 minutes to the next hour and yep the windows are never clean.

tell him your not happy and that he should have checked beforehand.
Supposed you were an OAP with no computer and deaf?? I wonder what their policy is then?
tell them to stay away from your property as they are trespassing. tell them you have never seen their flyer, which they claim to have put through your letter box.

essentially, tell to ******
jamstaruk19722 h, 25 m ago

hate window cleaners with a passion i mean £6 for 10 mins work tops? £30 b …hate window cleaners with a passion i mean £6 for 10 mins work tops? £30 bux an hour allowing for 2 minutes to the next hour and yep the windows are never clean.tell him your not happy and that he should have checked beforehand.

So exactly how much should someone be paid to climb ladders and clean windows? Assuming of course they declare all income and pay all taxes. £30 becomes a lot less very quickly. Especially if there are 2 of them.

I agree that they shouldn’t be assuming, the best bet is to speak to them. If they get shirty tell them to do one.
Oneday778 h, 35 m ago

So exactly how much should someone be paid to climb ladders and clean …So exactly how much should someone be paid to climb ladders and clean windows? Assuming of course they declare all income and pay all taxes. £30 becomes a lot less very quickly. Especially if there are 2 of them. I agree that they shouldn’t be assuming, the best bet is to speak to them. If they get shirty tell them to do one.

Think they might be referring to the "pole" guys, only time their feet leave the ground is getting in ang out of their van.
Tell them you have reported a Peeping TOM

33304527-6p4Gp.jpg
So that's the bill. Anyway I rang them and told them more or less what you lot have sed here and he was like well your still in debt with us etc and sed he will get debtors to come and claim the money, son just simply sed good luck and stop cleaning my Windows because it will be for free everytime. And that's it. Now il wait to see what They do.
lendu1 h, 23 m ago

So that's the bill. Anyway I rang them and told them more or less what …So that's the bill. Anyway I rang them and told them more or less what you lot have sed here and he was like well your still in debt with us etc and sed he will get debtors to come and claim the money, son just simply sed good luck and stop cleaning my Windows because it will be for free everytime. And that's it. Now il wait to see what They do.

You need to report him to the police for trying to obtain money by deception.
do you think it will make a difference? when you ring them they do seem like a legit company but obviously the way they go about their business is very strange but im not sure if the police can do anything? can they? I might knock on few neighbours doors and ask them. see what they've done or sed
Pity you couldn’t have found out exactly who they are or at least Bank a/c name, no. and sort code, then you could report them to HMRC, or even trading standards.
I’m certain they won’t pursue you as it’ll cost a helluva lot of money to go through the small claims courts and then bailiffs etc just for £20.
The police route probably isn’t worth it but your local neighbourhood safety team might be a better option
the bank details are on the pic I sent, all the details are there. I will check with neighbours though definitely.

thank you everyone for your contributions.
Agree with chocci - please do contact the police (and trading standards). They are NOT a legit company! Having their phone number and email address is enough to report them - if you don't some vulnerable people are going to be too scared to object and be stung for payment!

Doing unrequested work for someone then suggesting they will engage debt collectors is extortion - and is a crime!!

Imagine Amazon giving you a free item then continually delivering items you have not requested and then demanding that you pay!!
Hi all, I know this should have been dead and buried but guess what I have acctually received a letter from a debt collection company asking for 12 pounds for the window cleaning service. Apparently what they did constitutes as a contract and I'm liable for it. They have put it on hold for 2 weeks whilst I obtain some info regarding it. It's only 12 quid but I don't want to pay it on principle. Someone give me some tips please. Thanks
You haven't entered into a contract with them regardless of what the debt collection company are saying. If they took it further their claim would never stand up in court, tell them to go to hell.
The only real suggestion would be contact your local Trading Standards officer for advise. They deal with services provided not just goods.
Also, is the debt collection company legitimate? Or could the window cleaners be sending out the letters, frightening people into paying?
Toptrumpet2 m ago

The only real suggestion would be contact your local Trading Standards …The only real suggestion would be contact your local Trading Standards officer for advise. They deal with services provided not just goods.Also, is the debt collection company legitimate? Or could the window cleaners be sending out the letters, frightening people into paying?

An interesting point you made there, I'm very surprised that a genuine debt collection agency would run with this.
Please post supposed details of the Debt collection company.

I'd just ignore the demand but as I said earlier please contact the Police/Trading Standards as this is extortion - which is a crime!
I’d also start knocking on neighbours doors to see if they’ve also had any letters and what have they done/intend to do. Group action might be enough to put a stop to this nonsense.
33809039-6ZW7I.jpg33809039-GtdGM.jpg
That's what's they've sent. I rang them and they sed it consolidates as a debt as the contract has been done, they said I had the option to cancel.
Well I can’t find UK Window Clean on Companies House register.
Perhaps another member can check the validity of this ‘company’ before we go further
I can't find anything on Companies House either, there are two with similar names but both dissolved the last one only last month. There is a UK Window Clean on Trustpilot but I don't think it's them as they charge a hell of a lot more than £6.
P&J Debt Collection Services is a legitimate agency and a member of the Federation of Debt Collectors or something. But why would they collect on behalf of an unregistered company, that doesn’t make sense.
Op, as a suggestion, if you want to waste their time, ring them again and ask for their clients registered company number at Companies House, if they can’t provide one then that might be a reason to return the paperwork and tell them to jog on.
i might be barking up the wrong tree, perhaps someone else can confirm my thinking about cash in hand fly by night ‘companies’ who are trading under the radar using presumptive contracts to scare people into paying.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 16th May
Tell them to sod off, they can't just do your windows without your consent and then have the audacity to charge for it... lol I'd just laugh at them and tell em to do one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants