Expired

Window not sealing properly - Help?

Found 26th Mar 2013
Wondering if someone can help me please. Basically when I shut 2 of the windows in my house they are not sealing properly and are letting in draught and noise. They are double glazed PVC I think and when closed the side with the handle is shut tight but the opposite side has a wake in the centre if that makes sense?(The rubber is not against the window frame.

It is a rented property so I can't do too much but I need to do something with all this poxy snow and cold weather causing massive use of heating!
Community Updates
AskWindows
17 Comments
temporary measure but just push the hinge side in from outside (assuming ground floor)
Sounds like your outer-frame is bowed , check it for straightness in both directions or hinges could be worn but you say the gap is in the middle so option 1 is maybe the case .
csiman

temporary measure but just push the hinge side in from outside (assuming … temporary measure but just push the hinge side in from outside (assuming ground floor)

Thanks but unfortunately not the ground floor!
goldmax

Sounds like your outer-frame is bowed , check it for straightness in both … Sounds like your outer-frame is bowed , check it for straightness in both directions or hinges could be worn but you say the gap is in the middle so option 1 is maybe the case .

Thanks.
Steve Mac

Thanks.

As a temporary measure use some duck tape or similar (even insulation tape ) and tape down the gaps then get the landlord on to it . (Make sure its easy peel tape though)
i have had this prob,the seat tab is not catching properly i used wd40 and it worked a treat
Put a strip of sticky backed foam down the side of the frame where the window seal meets the frame.
My bedroom handle was stiff a few weeks ago i forced it and broke the mechanics in the window they were also drafty ,now i have to get new windows it was not an urgent job but it is now coming in 3 weeks replace all the windows
put a piece of card between catch and window which will pull window tighter against rubber seals hopefully enough to seal
september_boy

i have had this prob,the seat tab is not catching properly i used wd40 … i have had this prob,the seat tab is not catching properly i used wd40 and it worked a treat

Luckily I have some WD40 handy, where is this seat tab I need to spray?
sparky2076

put a piece of card between catch and window which will pull window … put a piece of card between catch and window which will pull window tighter against rubber seals hopefully enough to seal

Forgive me for asking but where/what is the catch?
Steve Mac

Luckily I have some WD40 handy, where is this seat tab I need to spray?

Open the window and spray the hinges closest to the outer frame, you will see a small arrow shaped arm and a housing with black plastic .
goldmax

Open the window and spray the hinges closest to the outer frame, you will … Open the window and spray the hinges closest to the outer frame, you will see a small arrow shaped arm and a housing with black plastic .

Thank you, I will give it a go later.
Steve Mac

Forgive me for asking but where/what is the catch?

where the handle grips the window
sparky2076

where the handle grips the window

It's ok on the side with handle just not on the opposite side of that part.
http://media.freeola.com/images/user-images/20458/004-1.jpg

Spray oil into the very corner of the outer frame, if it is dry and dusty then the hinge doesn't slide tightly into place, check for any distortion though in the frame to make sure you have sufficient overlap of gaskets .
goldmax

Spray oil into the very corner of the outer frame, if it is dry and dusty … Spray oil into the very corner of the outer frame, if it is dry and dusty then the hinge doesn't slide tightly into place, check for any distortion though in the frame to make sure you have sufficient overlap of gaskets .

Thank you so much, I will try that later on, it is a bit dirty in that area.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions