Windows 10 2004 Update seems to have wiped program partition drives on the same SSD. Gone for good or recoverable?

Posted 7th Aug 2020
Upgraded a PC to Windows 10 2004 overnight. Windows also installed other updates.

This morning the PC cannot access D: or E: which are on the same SSD as C: Message pops up to format the drives.

Programs like Firefox were on D: and cannot be opened.

However entering C:\Users\XYZ\Documents (not Onedrive) from a recent file properties. Shows all documents....phew!

Has Windows actually wiped D and E partitions and deleted all program files which were installed to those drives? I tried assigning a new partition drive name to one of those partitions but it still isn't accessible.

Will MS have a fix and at some point in the future for the data stored on those partitions; if they are not actually wiped? Will the data be recoverable? Or do I just have to face facts. Format the partition drives and download and reinstall the programs again?

Yep should have done a backup before the update. No backup to use because the PC hadn't been used much. Did have backup software installed but it was on D: to add salt to the virtual wounds.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Does your issue get a mention in the known issues
docs.microsoft.com/en-…004

Did the update create a restore point? They usually do.

Oh and BTW the OS itself has a built in image creator and writer which you should do from time to time.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 7th Aug
tardytortoise07/08/2020 08:40

Does your issue get a mention in the known …Does your issue get a mention in the known issueshttps://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004Did the update create a restore point? They usually do.Oh and BTW the OS itself has a built in image creator and writer which you should do from time to time.

Thanks.

I couldn't see a restore point. Just had one restore from when I tried undoing a minor kbxxxxxc install today. In case that was the issue.

Have tried a Windows rollback... Now after logging in with the password. I am faced with a blank screen

I have left the computer on. Will give it a while alone to see if it's sprung into action again. Or still blank.
I no the pain, I had portable hard drive, partition it and had one free and one with back up stuff, I put windows install on one partion and it wiped it all
Pricklerickle07/08/2020 09:22

I no the pain, I had portable hard drive, partition it and had one free …I no the pain, I had portable hard drive, partition it and had one free and one with back up stuff, I put windows install on one partion and it wiped it all

Oh no. Is MS not fully testing updates prior to release?

Having to do a windows reset. Trying to keep files. Safe mode, repair, feature undo... All didn't work.
Are the partitions still present in Disk Management?
done a reset keeping files. It's installed 1909 version.

lh10407/08/2020 09:45

Are the partitions still present in Disk Management?

They show in file explorer. But for both partitions under properties. Shows 0 bytes for used space and same for free space

captainbeaky07/08/2020 09:49

Looks like there may be a …Looks like there may be a fix:https://windowsreport.com/partition-disappears-windows-10-anniversary-update/

Thanks for the link.

The minitool partition displays the partitions as completely full. The opposite to File Explorer.

There was some stuff on the two partitions. Nowhere near full nor empty.

Mainly containing some programs and music files. One partition for the programs and the other for the music stuff.

Edit: Now spotted data recovery in minitool. Running it now on a partition and will update what happens.
Edited by: "thetarget" 7th Aug
Aomei Partition Free Edition also shows the two partitions as completely full.

Maybe Windows overwrote the contents of both partitions and has completely filled them up? But then they should be accessible if that was the case and not stating to format them? Unless it was all Windows gobbledygook files as part of the upgrade process got written there and not to a temp file on C drive.
Don’t think Microsoft have fixed the bug in 2004 that keeps trying to defrag ssds either. I’ll try to avoid updating if possible.
captainbeaky07/08/2020 10:20

Don’t think Microsoft have fixed the bug in 2004 that keeps trying to d …Don’t think Microsoft have fixed the bug in 2004 that keeps trying to defrag ssds either. I’ll try to avoid updating if possible.

Windows 10 would be comical if the consequences of its complete eff ups were not so potentially serious.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 7th Aug
Windows 10 2004 absolutely destroyed my pc to a point where I said f*** windows and sold my gaming pc. part by part and I’m using the money for ps5.
Having run minitool, EasuS and r-undelete free versions. The files which are recoverable don't appear to be what I was expecting to see. No FLAC or mp3 files are listed in their results. Yet I had a load of these types of files.

Quite odd and doesn't give me any confidence to purchase a version which can recover the files. Due to the file size and amount of GB. I could buy an upgrade license and end up only obtaining a load of useless files and be out of pocket for the privilege.

I don't get why and how the Windows upgrade can and has been allowed to mess with other partitions. Even one of my HDD partitions content looks a bit weird. Isn't the point of partitions, to keep stuff separately and well organised? Does this mean going forwards. Windows requires a SSD all to itself and everything else must be kept on other drives? Or other drives need to be disconnected before any major Windows upgrade gets carried out?

I am unsure what I am going to do about the SSD partitions. To recover them or just format them and swallow the loss of stuff.
Just found the setting to defer feature updates in w10 (pro). Don’t need the hassle atm.
captainbeaky07/08/2020 15:43

Just found the setting to defer feature updates in w10 (pro). Don’t need t …Just found the setting to defer feature updates in w10 (pro). Don’t need the hassle atm.

I could have really done without the hassle too. Oh well. happens.
Will trying to do another upgrade to 2004 edition solve the issues? Or just likely to waste time and cause more issues?
Post a comment
@
    Text