Windows 10

Posted 4th Jan
See quite a few windows 10 keys for sale that are cheap, no cd or USB drive. Are these legit? How do you install them?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
ccnp04/01/2020 11:06

Do you really need to ask that question?

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” Confucious
12 Comments
You simply download the installation files, clear instructions usually given.
Easier to do "in place" upgrade if you're windows 7 is going.
Search these threads, plenty of people did this month's ago
As you install windows it asks you if you have a product key

On ebay you will find both legit and none legit codes. If you go by what Microsoft originally stated in their terms then none of them are legit. Thing is EU ruled twice that when Microsoft (and oracle) sold a licence that could be viewed as perpetual (no time limit or subscription based) then their terms were illegal and the person/body with the perpetual licence has a right to sell them.

Which brings us back to ebay and that some will be legitimate perpetual licences being sold (and cost peanuts) and some may be more dubious (although the traditional visual studio msdn licence sold on ebay was one key could be used multiple times no longer holds true).
Edited by: "Bertz99" 4th Jan
ccnp04/01/2020 11:06

“The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life.” Confucious
Legitimacy and how to install key is reasonably irrelevant as both are optional or simply not required.
Bertz9904/01/2020 11:04

Thing is EU ruled twice that when Microsoft (and oracle) sold a licence …Thing is EU ruled twice that when Microsoft (and oracle) sold a licence that could be viewed as perpetual (no time limit or subscription based) then their terms were illegal and the person/body with the perpetual licence has a right to sell them.Which brings us back to ebay and that some will be legitimate perpetual licences being sold (and cost peanuts) and some may be more dubious

I was under the impression it was only oracle's licence that had been tested in court, not Microsoft's. The principle clearly applies, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were still grey areas given that absolutely none of the mainstream computing shops have gotten involved.

And given the flood of 'Windows 10' licences around you do wonder how many are actually Windows 10 and how many are Windows 7 and 8 keys being passed off as Windows 10 ones as they activate Windows 10.

It's definitely a area where it's hard to be sure with most sellers offering very few details about the status and history of the keys they're selling.
EndlessWaves04/01/2020 11:43

I was under the impression it was only oracle's licence that had been …I was under the impression it was only oracle's licence that had been tested in court, not Microsoft's. The principle clearly applies, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were still grey areas given that absolutely none of the mainstream computing shops have gotten involved. And given the flood of 'Windows 10' licences around you do wonder how many are actually Windows 10 and how many are Windows 7 and 8 keys being passed off as Windows 10 ones as they activate Windows 10.It's definitely a area where it's hard to be sure with most sellers offering very few details about the status and history of the keys they're selling.

EU ruling explicitly states if in Microsoft Assurance programme then it is not a perpetual licence until the end. It was MS that raised the challenge on the first ruling iirc. The company that was at core was found guilty of copyright infringement for physical copies of media and art work.
So I'm guessing it's best to buy an oem disc rather one of these.
R_S04/01/2020 14:01

NO; as long as is not more expensive than £10 and it's not for a business PC, and you don't brag about it, everything should be fine. If, for some reason the key will be canceled, it's going to be displayed on your screen.

How to use it:
1. Download the tool from microsoft.com/en-…s10
Select "Create Windows 10 installation media" then if your key is for Pro version, select to download the Pro.
The most probably you'll install the Windows on a 64 bit PC; select to download the x64 version and create an ISO image.
2. Transfer the downloaded image on a pendrive; personally I use WinSetupFromUSB

39587569-o13zX.jpg
3. During the installation, select I don't have the key yet. You can add the key later once the Windows is installed and you can make sure you have proper Internet connection on that PC.

4. When the Windows is not registered, it will display a message on bottom right side of the screen.
39587569-qsi1n.jpg
The go in settings and click on Windows is not activated
39587569-XYeXw.jpg

39587569-cahXV.jpg

If the key is not blacklisted, it should work fine.
R_S04/01/2020 14:01

1) Don't bother, a key is not required. But if you have an obsession for personalisation:
2) Buy the cheapest of cheap keys and see how long it remains functional. If you want a retail disc rather than jumping through OEM requirements:
3) Spend silly money.
Before spending out have a quick look on you tube, last I recall the free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 still worked

Also if you’re using a HP or DELL pc then it’s likely the same BIOS licence table that is for W7/8 is valid for W10
Edited by: "Nixy32" 4th Jan
Nixy3204/01/2020 18:56

Before spending out have a quick look on you tube, last I recall the free …Before spending out have a quick look on you tube, last I recall the free upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 still workedAlso if you’re using a HP or DELL pc then it’s likely the same BIOS licence table that is for W7/8 is valid for W10

Still free if you use the windows installer.

If the op buys a disc then its a waste of time as you will still need to update which does a complete windows 10 install anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions