Windows 10 April 2018 Update now available

Top comments
oh and don't forget to try Edge.

Oh, you don't want it? well don't forget to use Edge, what, you didn't want Edge to be the PDF viewer, oops sorry about that, hey why don't you try Edge?

Edge, the browser that's nearly as good as IE4 but with all the benefits of wishy washy grey and white and none of the nice clear icons you love. Edge.

Did I mention Edge?

Opps an update may have "accidentally" reset your browser to Edge but you want to try it don't you?

Edge
Edited by: "spannerzone" 30th Apr
Not a deal
I'm on the delayed channel and I've set it to defer for 365 days so I'll let you suckas complete the beta testing.
Thanks all.
deleted405012
I got mine weeks ago. It runs just fine on my machine. I feel a bit sorry for all you lot who don't seem to be able to get Windows to run properly.
44 Comments
Not a deal
Just tick no to everything after you update
Not a deal 2.
I'm on the delayed channel and I've set it to defer for 365 days so I'll let you suckas complete the beta testing.
Thanks all.
why is this posted on a deal site, shouldnt it be on a pc or tech forum?
Gollywood39 m ago

Pain in the ***. Mine has been updating for over a week. Never ending …Pain in the ***. Mine has been updating for over a week. Never ending updates.

Edited by moderator: "potty mouth" 30th Apr
Shame they couldn't update it to Windows 7
Get in.
deleted405012
I got mine weeks ago. It runs just fine on my machine. I feel a bit sorry for all you lot who don't seem to be able to get Windows to run properly.
2016 LTSB FTW
Thank you. Some interesting useful features here
deleted40501230th Apr

I got mine weeks ago. It runs just fine on my machine. I feel a bit sorry …I got mine weeks ago. It runs just fine on my machine. I feel a bit sorry for all you lot who don't seem to be able to get Windows to run properly.

Whingers the lot of them.

Windows 10 is really good! Far better than 7. Unless you’re stuck in the past!
Agharta27 m ago

I'm on the delayed channel and I've set it to defer for 365 days so I'll …I'm on the delayed channel and I've set it to defer for 365 days so I'll let you suckas complete the beta testing.Thanks all.

The beta testing has already been done by the insiders, this is the public release. Why don’t you just opt out of the insider program and go back on public release?
Update Xp pls.
THIS ISN'T A DEAL PLEASE REMOVE IT
This isn't a deal. You're going to get the update whether you want it or not (if you're on Windows 10 already).
deleted40501230th Apr

I got mine weeks ago. It runs just fine on my machine. I feel a bit sorry …I got mine weeks ago. It runs just fine on my machine. I feel a bit sorry for all you lot who don't seem to be able to get Windows to run properly.

Windows 10 is on around 600-700 million machines (or thereabouts), do you really think that if it runs fine on your 1 machine it's automatically going to run the same on all the other hundreds of millions?? The problem with this 6 month release cycle is it brings up many old problems and introduces a few new ones as well.
No need to post this, I'm sure Windows 10 will be sure to reminds us the update is ready to install soon enough.
Is there a choice that Windows 10 users wouldn't be told this update by Microsoft or be installed automatically without refusal anyway?
Windows 10 updates have already screwed my PC up on more than 1 occasion.
I am not alone in this happening......
deleted40501230th Apr

I’ve not got the update yet. I dare say my enthusiasm for it will be considerably muted compared to yourself ...it’s hardly a life changer 😜
migavupe1 h, 16 m ago

The beta testing has already been done by the insiders, this is the public …The beta testing has already been done by the insiders, this is the public release. Why don’t you just opt out of the insider program and go back on public release?

I am on the Semi-Annual Channel which is behind the mainstream Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) and I have to set to defer for 12 months so they won't force this on me for 18 months I think.
I'll consider it ready in 6 months time when the next one is released although I may skip this new one and install the next one in 12 months.
One upgrade per year that is 6 months old may be my policy unless there is a feature that I really need which is very rare.
Thank God for the Pro version.
stamfordblue16 m ago

Windows 10 updates have already screwed my PC up on more than 1 occasion.I …Windows 10 updates have already screwed my PC up on more than 1 occasion.I am not alone in this happening......

This is why I gave up with Windows. Had much less problems with Mac OS. Admittedly it’s 2x the price but I see being able to actually use a laptop as worth it (I had a 2013 laptop and it was fine before Windows 10 came along and now it doesn’t load anything- I have kept it to sync music to my iPod)
starsi3601 h, 39 m ago

Whingers the lot of them. Windows 10 is really good! Far better than …Whingers the lot of them. Windows 10 is really good! Far better than 7. Unless you’re stuck in the past!

Actually it's proven to be more unstable
deleted405012
rcom56 m ago

Windows 10 is on around 600-700 million machines (or thereabouts), do you …Windows 10 is on around 600-700 million machines (or thereabouts), do you really think that if it runs fine on your 1 machine it's automatically going to run the same on all the other hundreds of millions?? The problem with this 6 month release cycle is it brings up many old problems and introduces a few new ones as well.

The point is that I have been running Windows since the days of 3.1 and have never had any serious problems (ME not withstanding.) That includes having worked as an IT manager for many years. I get sick of people endlessly whinging about Windows when the truth of the matter is they are probably inept at maintaining a working computer.
deleted40501230th Apr

The point is that I have been running Windows since the days of 3.1 and …The point is that I have been running Windows since the days of 3.1 and have never had any serious problems (ME not withstanding.) That includes having worked as an IT manager for many years. I get sick of people endlessly whinging about Windows when the truth of the matter is they are probably inept at maintaining a working computer.

^^^^^^^^This
deleted40501230th Apr

The point is that I have been running Windows since the days of 3.1 and …The point is that I have been running Windows since the days of 3.1 and have never had any serious problems (ME not withstanding.) That includes having worked as an IT manager for many years. I get sick of people endlessly whinging about Windows when the truth of the matter is they are probably inept at maintaining a working computer.

Absolute crap. Windows 10 gets worse and worse with each update. It hangs whenever it feels like it and takes forever to update. I too have used it since inception, I don't make your claims but I know what I'm doing.
starsi3602 h, 40 m ago

Whingers the lot of them. Windows 10 is really good! Far better than …Whingers the lot of them. Windows 10 is really good! Far better than 7. Unless you’re stuck in the past!

It is pretty good, they're finally getting better and this release tidies up the awful page designs previous used (grey and white, what a stupid colour scheme though!) They've even put the word 'settings' back on the icon.
Once they get rid of those old Win7 pages (control panel, networking etc) then they'll finally make some headway.

it's reliable but my god Win10 is clearly two design teams fighting each other every step of the way..... with the battlefield being us.
oh and don't forget to try Edge.

Oh, you don't want it? well don't forget to use Edge, what, you didn't want Edge to be the PDF viewer, oops sorry about that, hey why don't you try Edge?

Edge, the browser that's nearly as good as IE4 but with all the benefits of wishy washy grey and white and none of the nice clear icons you love. Edge.

Did I mention Edge?

Opps an update may have "accidentally" reset your browser to Edge but you want to try it don't you?

Edge
Edited by: "spannerzone" 30th Apr
Love the Edge funny.

OK, so I've been in tech for 30 years or so. Watched as Novell gave way to the (by comparison) frightful WinNT. Hard to argue with the outstanding marketing that M$ had. Office dominated over technically superior software, taking the crown as market leader.

So like many techies, there's no love lost from me to Microsoft. But I do not hate them either. Using their ecosystem gave some advantages.

Then, about 3 weeks ago, I was in the middle of important work and let Windows update in the background. Bluescreens ensued. Wtf? Haven't seen those in donkeys years because, well, I kinda know how to keep Windoze clean and lean.

Three more Bluescreens later, I go for a full reinstall. Because I'm not an idiot, all my data is backed up, so it wasn't too painful, even if time-consuming that need not have happened.

But my shiny new install of Redmond's latest and greatest also threw Bluescreens. Again, wtf?

So, Ubuntu for me now. Yes it's a pain to install apps from developers who seem to want to gain respect from geeks by not including easy installation packages. Yes, it's a pain my scanner no longer has a driver that can scan more than one page at a time. But I don't care!

I don't care because I know it won't crash. Well, I don't 'know' it won't. But 30+ years of gut instinct tell me this OS is as close to bullet proof as I'm going to get.

I do wonder when these designers will understand that you can have every feature under the sun, but if your machine's just reset itself, those features are not worth jsck-sh!
deleted40501230th Apr

If you really think only inept people have problems with Windows and it never goes wrong, you still have a lot to learn about IT.

Windows is a huge and complicated beast and it's ludicrous to think it works trouble free for everyone and it's always down to user error.
Edited by: "rcom" 30th Apr
deleted40501230th Apr

I never get sick of hearing about people whinging about Windows. Probably helps that it keeps me in a job and I don’t work for Microsoft - so I don’t have to defend it to the detriment of my work colleagues.
Windows 98se FTW
Thanks for the reminder - I knew that this was on its way, but the prompt is still helpful. All installed in about 20 minutes after downloading, pleasantly much quicker than the "up to 90 minutes".

Though, my Windows.old now takes about 1/3 of my SSD - I don't think I'll be leaving that there for too long!
After this update, I had to set up Google Drive/Backup and Sync again, alt tabbing back into games is slower and, for some reason, the password protection on my authenticator app was removed. That aside, I like Windows 10.
Edited by: "bo0td" 30th Apr
glaspark2 h, 38 m ago

Absolute crap. Windows 10 gets worse and worse with each update. It hangs …Absolute crap. Windows 10 gets worse and worse with each update. It hangs whenever it feels like it and takes forever to update. I too have used it since inception, I don't make your claims but I know what I'm doing.

I don’t know what you are doing as mine has never hung and it’s very quick to update. I agree with the previous poster and it’s mainly user error.
bo0td2 h, 52 m ago

After this update, I had to set up Google Drive/Backup and Sync again, alt …After this update, I had to set up Google Drive/Backup and Sync again, alt tabbing back into games is slower and, for some reason, the password protection on my authenticator app was removed. That aside, I like Windows 10.

I read over at the Windows 10 subreddit Alt - tabbing in and out of games is slower because of a new feature - focus assist.
Apparently, to fix this - Open settings, type in "Focus assist settings" and disable everything on that page
Edited by: "fluidz" 1st May
fluidz8 m ago

I read over at the Windows 10 subreddit Alt - tabbing in and out of games …I read over at the Windows 10 subreddit Alt - tabbing in and out of games is slower because of a new feature - focus assist. Apparently, to fix this - Open settings, type in "Focus assist settings" and disable everything on that page

Cheers.
Thanks for the reminder. And this is on the ask section so not a deal as some people moaning about. But good reminder for those who don’t know.
dorey6912 m ago

Thanks for the reminder. And this is on the ask section so not a deal as …Thanks for the reminder. And this is on the ask section so not a deal as some people moaning about. But good reminder for those who don’t know.

This was originally posted as deal and was getting very cold, it was then moved to Misc. So I guess those moaning people you mention turned out to be right...

This is really a reminder for those that specifically don't want to install the update, everyone else will get it installed automatically in due course, so don't need to do anything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants