Windows 10 - File Explorer - method to view file size?

Found 18th Jun
I've copied across a load of folders from my old laptop to my new Windows 10 laptop.

Issue is the collective folders size is double the folders size that I copied.

Iis there a way of viewing individual folder sizes on windows 10 File Explorer so I can quickly assess which folder has copied across incorrectly?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
right click in where all the folders are then go down to sort and there you will get more options..........
WinDirStat might be what you want.
change c:\user\allsorts to your requirement and run this in powershell

$folderlist = (Get-ChildItem c:\users\allsorts -recurse | Where-Object {$_.PSIsContainer -eq $True} | Sort-Object)
foreach ($folder in $folderlist){
$subFolderItems = (Get-ChildItem $folder.FullName -File | Measure-Object -property length -sum)
$folder.FullName + " -- " + "{0:N2}" -f ($subFolderItems.sum / 1MB) + " MB"
}
in explorer you can just right click on folders and select properties to get the individual sizes
Edited by: "maddogb" 18th Jun
Maybe the old machine has compression turned on? Double the size sounds quite chunky but could attribute to some of it
There is a tiny little program called FolderSize which will do exactly what you want. It's a bit awkward to use on Win10, but for a single task it's perfect, then just remove it if you want.
As above there are sort of 2 routes to resolve

one manually go and check right clicking each -depending depth could be slow and labourious

two use a program/script - reason I suggested powershell and gave you a version 3 compliant 5 line script is due to powershell being supplied with Windows 10 - so no need to install or play about with anything else and will give you a straight list of each folder and size.
Right click then Properties is the normal way, but a quicker way or Keystroke is to highlight the required Folder then press Alt + Enter (together) to display properties instanly, really easy.
Edited by: "zirk" 18th Jun
zirk8 m ago

Right click then Properties is the correct way, but a quicker way or …Right click then Properties is the correct way, but a quicker way or Keystroke is to hoover the cursor over the Folder then press Alt + Enter, really easy.

correct way - hmmm - lets say he has in excess of 10,000 folders and a million files - each pause write down and note say be generous at 5 seconds that would be in excess of 8 hours. If depth is not high with a few then manually computing yourself is going to be neither here or there - at the other extreme I would say the correct way is to have the computer compute for me
Use Treesize Free from Jam Software (https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/) which conveniently displays the folder listing as the hierarchical tree with all folder sizes clearly therefore you to see.

You can then understand where the resource hog is coming from and delete at your leisure.........
Use Directory Report (http://www.file-utilities.com) to see the directory sizes
It is very fast which counts when you have a huge number of files
Original Poster
Bertz9912 h, 20 m ago

As above there are sort of 2 routes to resolve one manually go and check …As above there are sort of 2 routes to resolve one manually go and check right clicking each -depending depth could be slow and labourioustwo use a program/script - reason I suggested powershell and gave you a version 3 compliant 5 line script is due to powershell being supplied with Windows 10 - so no need to install or play about with anything else and will give you a straight list of each folder and size.

Amazing, thank you
Original Poster
Thanks all
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants