Windows 10 full microsoft account access

Found 22nd Apr
I have just reinstalled win 10, not noticed it before so don't know if I had changed settings but when I go to Settings - Accounts and then either "your info" or "email and app account" I can access my Microsoft account without having to enter a password, this is undesirable, how can I have it so the PC doesn't need a password to login at start up but my accounts are locked down?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Change it to what ever you want it to do in Account Settins.
You'll have to have a login password to protect these details. You can use a 4 digit pin these days
The whole point is so that you create individual PC accounts which are linked to different email accounts, that way you login and everything is then accessible. What’s the point of having no login as then all your files will be accessible and you will have to put passwords into everything, why make life difficult when it will make everything less secure.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Apr
cmdr_elito5 h, 34 m ago

The whole point is so that you create individual PC accounts which are …The whole point is so that you create individual PC accounts which are linked to different email accounts, that way you login and everything is then accessible. What’s the point of having no login as then all your files will be accessible and you will have to put passwords into everything, why make life difficult when it will make everything less secure.

It's because I have a son of 9 and a partner who doesn't really understand tech. I would prefer to use one pc account so it just boots up and logs in and then if I want to access email or my Microsoft account I can do so with a password.
As in a year or so he'll probably be able to simply log in and amend age settings or even purchase something through the account.
On the Xbox he can log in as me or his profile with no password but to purchase anything needs a password or access the account it needs password. Would have thought this would carry over to the pc os.
Suppose could create a separate single user account not linked and then if I need to I can log in separately?
t3rm3y1 h, 51 m ago

It's because I have a son of 9 and a partner who doesn't really understand …It's because I have a son of 9 and a partner who doesn't really understand tech. I would prefer to use one pc account so it just boots up and logs in and then if I want to access email or my Microsoft account I can do so with a password. As in a year or so he'll probably be able to simply log in and amend age settings or even purchase something through the account.On the Xbox he can log in as me or his profile with no password but to purchase anything needs a password or access the account it needs password. Would have thought this would carry over to the pc os.Suppose could create a separate single user account not linked and then if I need to I can log in separately?

For your child and you wife I would suggest creating an account without admin rights, if they really aren’t that good at tech. Make the password easy and show them how to switch user. Then you keep the admin account and keep it passworded
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Apr
Press win key + r and then type in netplwiz, then untick 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer'. Type in your password to change it click.

Also go to All settings/Accounts/Sign-in options/Require sign-in choose Never (this means when your PC goes to sleep you don't need to type in your password). This is how my family PC downstairs is set up. You can also not sign in to the mail app or just delete it. If you want to view your email then do it old school and log in via browser. Best thing would be sign in first time to the mail app then go settings/Manage accounts/click on your email add/Delete account from this device click then it should look blank click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 22nd Apr
RiverDragon82 h, 12 m ago

Press win key + r and then type in netplwiz, then untick 'users must enter …Press win key + r and then type in netplwiz, then untick 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer'. Type in your password to change it click.Also go to All settings/Accounts/Sign-in options/Require sign-in choose Never (this means when your PC goes to sleep you don't need to type in your password). This is how my family PC downstairs is set up. You can also not sign in to the mail app or just delete it. If you want to view your email then do it old school and log in via browser. Best thing would be sign in first time to the mail app then go settings/Manage accounts/click on your email add/Delete account from this device click then it should look blank click.

What about being able to access your full Microsoft account though through pc privacy/settings? I have set it without password to log in but my whole account is simply a mouse click away with no protection...
t3rm3y2 h, 11 m ago

What about being able to access your full Microsoft account though through …What about being able to access your full Microsoft account though through pc privacy/settings? I have set it without password to log in but my whole account is simply a mouse click away with no protection...

If you wanted privacy and protection then create a guest account click. Re-enable your password when you log in (Press win key + r and then type in netplwiz, then tick 'users must enter a username and password to use this computer'). The new guest account (rename it your sons name if you like) doesn't need to log in with a password.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 22nd Apr
i tested the guest account but wasnt happy, so now i have gone back to signing in with an account, but i simply removed the edge app from the taskbar and made chrome the default browser., and removed the email app from taskbar. ill see how that goes for a bit.. All i really wanted was to ensure nobody could just purchase something on the MS store without entering the password first (this is how it is set on the xbox, so assumed windows would have similar policy).
t3rm3y40 m ago

i tested the guest account but wasnt happy, so now i have gone back to …i tested the guest account but wasnt happy, so now i have gone back to signing in with an account, but i simply removed the edge app from the taskbar and made chrome the default browser., and removed the email app from taskbar. ill see how that goes for a bit.. All i really wanted was to ensure nobody could just purchase something on the MS store without entering the password first (this is how it is set on the xbox, so assumed windows would have similar policy).

When I try to make a purchase for a paid app via the ms store I'm always prompted for for a password click. By default in your settings it should be set to off click.
RiverDragon823rd Apr

When I try to make a purchase for a paid app via the ms store I'm always …When I try to make a purchase for a paid app via the ms store I'm always prompted for for a password click. By default in your settings it should be set to off click.

brilliant thanks River
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions