Windows 10 keeps losing wif-fi

Posted 1st Jul
Since Windows 10 did an update a week or two ago, I've been getting disconnected from wi-fi at least twice a day (icon in bottom bar charges from the dot with the curves moving outwards to a globe and the only way to get things back is to reboot)
Today, it's every 10 minutes or so. Have had to reboot 4 times at least today already.

I've Googled numerous solutions, yet I don't seem to have a single option on my PC that they mention i.e. Windows Sense.

Short of reinstalling Windows from scratch and blocking every single update, any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Have you try to update the driver?
I'm in the same boat. Drivers are fully updated. It's quite frustrating when trying to work from home!
Drivers are fully updated.
Tried Chrome in case in was Microsoft Edge, but the same thing there, so it's Windows 10.

Just formatted the drive, reinstalled from scratch and within 10 minutes, the same issue.

It gives the impression that Windows keeps switching off my network adaptor.
Is this a laptop or desktop? If it’s a desktop, are you using a USB WiFi adapter? If you are, make sure that the option to “selectively suspend USB” is disabled. Can’t remember exactly how to do it. Just google “turn off USB power saving windows 10”. Or search on Windows.
Edited by: "ra786" 1st Jul
Have you tried a WiFi analyser to see if there's issues with interference. It might be worthwhile ruling out that side of things.
Gone into troubleshooting the last couple of times and it's mentioned "wi-fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

Either it's Windows related, my adaptor or Virgin Media related (the router box downstairs has had a blue flashing wi-fi light on a few times recently that requires a reboot. Everything else connects fine, so not sure if that is playing a part?)
xenole01/07/2020 13:06

Gone into troubleshooting the last couple of times and it's mentioned …Gone into troubleshooting the last couple of times and it's mentioned "wi-fi doesn't have a valid IP configuration".Either it's Windows related, my adaptor or Virgin Media related (the router box downstairs has had a blue flashing wi-fi light on a few times recently that requires a reboot. Everything else connects fine, so not sure if that is playing a part?)

Try renewing the IP address on the pc. Flashing blue light on a virgin hub is fine, just means traffic is moving. Although i think this is an older superhub. Might be worth asking for a new one.

helpdeskgeek.com/net…ss/
Gosh! The extreme fixes people apply to simple issues!
I only use Windows in 2 reference machines - Linux is much more stable.
If this had happened to me, the first thing I would have done is to tell Windows to forget entirely my existing wifi connection. Do a proper full shutdown - not one of those that remembers most of your settings - learn how to disable fast boot. Then I would have switched off the router. waited a bit and switched back on. Then reboot device and make fresh connection. If all that failed I would run the inbuilt troubleshooter through the settings. There should also be some restore points to go back prior to the updates. And nauseus that it may be you can uninstall updates. And every Windows user should keep looking at this from time to to time docs.microsoft.com/en-…004

Oh and BTW only 7% of users have been updated to the latest edition - stupidly called Windows 2004.

If that failed I would use the inbuilt help facility which should bring up a MS tech support person in chat window to get it sorted. Then if all that failed I would install Linux and say goodbye to Windows. If it should get fixed I would disable all windows updates for as long as possible and avoid any feature or monthly patch Tuesday updates for as long as possible. I would also recommend having a full windows image created twice per year around April and October.

EDIT
I thought I read recently about the reported symptoms following recent updates but cannot find my source right now BUT glad to say this web page phonemantra.com/sol…ly/ confirms some of the actions that could have been taken.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 1st Jul
ra78601/07/2020 12:35

Is this a laptop or desktop? If it’s a desktop, are you using a USB WiFi a …Is this a laptop or desktop? If it’s a desktop, are you using a USB WiFi adapter? If you are, make sure that the option to “selectively suspend USB” is disabled. Can’t remember exactly how to do it. Just google “turn off USB power saving windows 10”. Or search on Windows.

Desktop. Power saving is off for the adaptor.
tardytortoise01/07/2020 13:15

Gosh! The extreme fixes people apply to simple issues!I only use Windows …Gosh! The extreme fixes people apply to simple issues!I only use Windows in 2 reference machines - Linux is much more stable.If this had happened to me, the first thing I would have done is to tell Windows to forget entirely my existing wifi connection. Do a proper full shutdown - not one of those that remembers most of your settings - learn how to disable fast boot. Then I would have switched off the router. waited a bit and switched back on. Then reboot device and make fresh connection. If all that failed I would run the inbuilt troubleshooter through the settings. There should also be some restore points to go back prior to the updates. And nauseus that it may be you can uninstall updates. And every Windows user should keep looking at this from time to to time https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004Oh and BTW only 7% of users have been updated to the latest edition - stupidly called Windows 2004. If that failed I would use the inbuilt help facility which should bring up a MS tech support person in chat window to get it sorted. Then if all that failed I would install Linux and say goodbye to Windows. If it should get fixed I would disable all windows updates for as long as possible and avoid any feature or monthly patch Tuesday updates for as long as possible. I would also recommend having a full windows image created twice per year around April and October.EDITI thought I read recently about the reported symptoms following recent updates but cannot find my source right now BUT glad to say this web page https://phonemantra.com/solutions-wifi-often-disconnects-or-goes-intermittently/ confirms some of the actions that could have been taken.

Good advice.

By the way, Microsoft switched to YYMM version numbers a few years ago. 2004 is the patch from Apr 2020.
My HP Probook does this, it has ever since Window 1809 came out I think.... it seems that after some inactivity or the laptop goes into lock mode the wifi drops and even when you force it to reconnect it says there's no internet. Flipping wifi to another network and back and all is well. Crappy wifi drivers I assume.
Edited by: "spannerzone" 1st Jul
I have similar issue at times but no fix, but not at a 10 mins interval (I used to have this happen on a Windows Insider build but reverted and it has gotten much better).

The issue must have been exacerbated or caused entirely by the 2004 update, which is an absolute mess at the moment. Way too many bugs. I have paused my updates to avoid getting it installed for now.
I just reformatted my drive and reinstalled Windows for the second time today. Seems to be OK since then, although as with any Windows installation, a new set of bugs have appeared.

Just now need to sort out OneDrive, that I said I didn't want, to stop running all the time, and the start-up password / pin to go away.
Anything else is tolerable at present.
i had this problem with hubby's laptop but i can't remember what i did to solve it. i think i did all sorts of stuff. i think it turned out to the antivirus software interfering with windows 10.

if you have antivirus software, try uninstalling it and just use windows defender.
tardytortoise01/07/2020 13:15

Gosh! The extreme fixes people apply to simple issues!I only use Windows …Gosh! The extreme fixes people apply to simple issues!I only use Windows in 2 reference machines - Linux is much more stable.If this had happened to me, the first thing I would have done is to tell Windows to forget entirely my existing wifi connection. Do a proper full shutdown - not one of those that remembers most of your settings - learn how to disable fast boot. Then I would have switched off the router. waited a bit and switched back on. Then reboot device and make fresh connection. If all that failed I would run the inbuilt troubleshooter through the settings. There should also be some restore points to go back prior to the updates. And nauseus that it may be you can uninstall updates. And every Windows user should keep looking at this from time to to time https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/release-information/status-windows-10-2004Oh and BTW only 7% of users have been updated to the latest edition - stupidly called Windows 2004. If that failed I would use the inbuilt help facility which should bring up a MS tech support person in chat window to get it sorted. Then if all that failed I would install Linux and say goodbye to Windows. If it should get fixed I would disable all windows updates for as long as possible and avoid any feature or monthly patch Tuesday updates for as long as possible. I would also recommend having a full windows image created twice per year around April and October.EDITI thought I read recently about the reported symptoms following recent updates but cannot find my source right now BUT glad to say this web page https://phonemantra.com/solutions-wifi-often-disconnects-or-goes-intermittently/ confirms some of the actions that could have been taken.

good post, i understand what ur saying. had pc's since windows 95 (64mb ram). but got fed up a couple of years ago with a laptop playing up, tried ubuntu with a dual windows boot, worked fine for a while but eventually couldn't boot into anything, tried all sorts, binned it!
vowed it was my last, smartphones do most things anyway.

bit the bullet at xmas there got an amd ryzen 5 lappy (8gb ram) its flying and very happy with it but with all these win 10 updates i can see trouble ahead!

why can't they leave some things alone?

rant over.
Not practical for everyone I know, but when I set up my work from home desktop a few years ago, I decided to leave out a wireless card and instead get some cat6 cable and wind it through a good few rooms. I'd had enough of stuff like this, and half an hour hassle has saved countless hours over the years.

All my other devices are wireless, but for a hassle free WFH device ethernet connection is priceless ime
Laptop or desktop?

Ok, of laptop, take out battery and leave to drain for 10 mins. Then plug back in. Try system now.
Total power down like this can solve such issues certainly with trackpads.

Alternative ideas. Windows 10 blamed. Try a Linux boot up disk to see if Linux has same issue.

If wifi card has failed, buy a USB wifi adapter. About 10 quid from argos.
Latest one I've got is certain websites not loading.
Just tried as an example, Sainsburys, and "no internet connection" yet everything else loads fine, and it works fine on my phone using the same wi-fi connection.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants