Groups
    EXPIRED

Windows 10 reset options

So I'm having problems with my PC gaming side with games always crashing on me or shutting down and I've done everything I possibly can I see what the problem is. My friend said it's probably a conflict so format your PC. So I'm going to Format all 3 hard drives and start again but is it better to do

1)Reset keep my files or

2)Remove everything

Just wondering what the difference really is? Is Remove everything the same as getting a brand new PC and starting from scratch and will it cause any problems?

35 Comments

are you sure it's not a hardware issue, sounds like it could be an overheating problem if it's only occurring during gaming, resetting your PC and keeping your files will sort out any conflicts in the OS and yes removing everything is like "getting a new PC" just make sure you have access to all the drivers that you need before doing that though.

you shouldn't have OS problems with the other drives unless there are problems with the applications there.If thats the case, shutdown and disconnect the extra drives then power up and see how the OS looks without them. If windows is fine then you won't need ot wipe it. If OS still having problems then yeah you'll need to format. If you have your logon account for windows 10 linked to an email address should make this a lot easier

After formatting OS drive, as long as you have windows linked to your email account, wipe everything on the OS drive.
    Reinstall a clean windows 10 then set it up again. Make sure you have access to the email address that I mentioned earlier linked to that windows license BEFORE formatting so you don't need to go looking for a product key again and it will install and activate automatically

Original Poster

robdexter7

are you sure it's not a hardware issue, sounds like it could be an … are you sure it's not a hardware issue, sounds like it could be an overheating problem if it's only occurring during gaming, resetting your PC and keeping your files will sort out any conflicts in the OS and yes removing everything is like "getting a new PC" just make sure you have access to all the drivers that you need before doing that though.

I've ruled everything out for it to be that, my temps are monitored every time I play games and never go over their limit or close. What do you mean by the drivers if I do a remove everything? What drivers would I need before hand? Thanks for the reply.

I wouldn't format all 3 drives. Just the one with Windows on. Also before you do that. Unplug all your USB devices except mouse and keyboard. Does it still crash? If it does, then try disconnecting all of your other drives as well. Just leaving your windows drive attached. Does it still crash?

If it continues to crash and you want to format, then simply copy any files you want to keep to another drive. e.g. music / movies / documents / save games / installers etc. then format just the windows drive.

If this is windows 10 you may experience issues with the re-install too. I know I have in the past. I got around this by unplugging drives etc that I didn't need for the install and then re-connected them once the install was done.

depending on how old your equipment is most drivers will be automatically re installed during the installation of windows 10, but some hardware(like sound cards, web cams for example) need their own drivers, which can be obtained from the manufacturers website, I like to get these in advance to save time after the installation, If all of your equipment is quite modern it really shouldn't be an issue at all though.

Original Poster

robdexter7

depending on how old your equipment is most drivers will be automatically … depending on how old your equipment is most drivers will be automatically re installed during the installation of windows 10, but some hardware(like sound cards, web cams for example) need their own drivers, which can be obtained from the manufacturers website, I like to get these in advance to save time after the installation, If all of your equipment is quite modern it really shouldn't be an issue at all though.

Everything in my PC is less then 2 months old and gpu was bought in November. I've got to this point where I'm soooo pi**ed off with not being able to play games and them crashing. Even my Google Chrome freezes up but not sure if that's the wifi. When I swapped my old mobo over to this new one all I did was format OS drive and reinstall windows 10 but then hdd was stating it was half full but wouldn't show the games in the storage so done a reset but never formatted and then the problems still happened of crashing.

Danjw91

Everything in my PC is less then 2 months old and gpu was bought in … Everything in my PC is less then 2 months old and gpu was bought in November. I've got to this point where I'm soooo pi**ed off with not being able to play games and them crashing. Even my Google Chrome freezes up but not sure if that's the wifi. When I swapped my old mobo over to this new one all I did was format OS drive and reinstall windows 10 but then hdd was stating it was half full but wouldn't show the games in the storage so done a reset but never formatted and then the problems still happened of crashing.

Doesn't sound like a conflict to me (but could be I suppose as anything is possible). Sounds more like a device driver that is buggy or old. I'd go onto the Vendor site for the make of that PC and update all the drivers you can on there includion Bios , Motherboard etc .

You could end up wiping the machine and starting again and have even more problems. Plus if you did wipe it chances are youll need the same updated drivers to get the machine back and working again after Window 10 is installed.

I've had similar issues before and it was down to the graphics card driver.

Exactly what diagnostics have you performed? What countermeasures have you tried so far?

Original Poster

jdpwest

Doesn't sound like a conflict to me (but could be I suppose as anything … Doesn't sound like a conflict to me (but could be I suppose as anything is possible). Sounds more like a device driver that is buggy or old. I'd go onto the Vendor site for the make of that PC and update all the drivers you can on there includion Bios , Motherboard etc . You could end up wiping the machine and starting again and have even more problems. Plus if you did wipe it chances are youll need the same updated drivers to get the machine back and working again after Window 10 is installed.I've had similar issues before and it was down to the graphics card driver.

I've got driver booster which updates all the drivers. My GPU is fully upto date with the latest driver being released 2 days ago, I've ran memtest86 and it was fine, I've ran SFC/SCANNOW and it was fine, I've ran 3dmark stress test and that had a 98.1% pass rate. Done everything.

Original Poster

dxx

Exactly what diagnostics have you performed? What countermeasures have … Exactly what diagnostics have you performed? What countermeasures have you tried so far?

I've ran Memtest86, ran Malwarebytes and avg, system file checker, system stress test on 3dmark, updated everything through driver booster, gpu all up to date. Even spoke to ubisoft support as their games crash on me and they asked for misinfo and dxdiag and they said they can't seem to find anything wrong

anything overclocked ?

Original Poster

gm8dwj

anything overclocked ?

No, nothing OC'd

Danjw91

I've got driver booster which updates all the drivers. My GPU is fully … I've got driver booster which updates all the drivers. My GPU is fully upto date with the latest driver being released 2 days ago, I've ran memtest86 and it was fine, I've ran SFC/SCANNOW and it was fine, I've ran 3dmark stress test and that had a 98.1% pass rate. Done everything.

Get rid of that crappy driver software for a start. If you need drivers, update yourself.
    Have you tried connecting monitor directly back to motherboard and remove gpu as a potnetial problem? i'd do this first if it only crashes during gaming

Why not just download latest image of Windows 10 from Microsoft & do a clean install on a spare (blank) hard drive. Install the relevant drivers if Windows update misses any, install a game & see if it works or not.

if your pc is 'crashing', whether its games or apps you should see an entry in your event viewer and IF its mainly/only games crashing then it points to a possible problem with your gpu/psu being put under load and as such, this freezing and crashing is a result.

Only you know the exact symptoms but you need to give a more detailed description of what crashes exactly (for example chrome wouldnt crash if you lose connection to your router, it would just show the website as being unavailable).

Original Poster

corrazy

Get rid of that crappy driver software for a start. If you need drivers, … Get rid of that crappy driver software for a start. If you need drivers, update yourself.Have you tried connecting monitor directly back to motherboard and remove gpu as a potnetial problem? i'd do this first if it only crashes during gaming

Well I'm not a massive techy person so doing that just saves me time and looking for drivers that need updating like the Intel ones etc. I haven't tried that, without a gpu how am I meant to test games? Also my GPU is a evga 1070 sc and the SC is meant to light up which it doesn't seem to so not sure if that's an indication maybe gpu is faulty

Original Poster

captainbeaky

Why not just download latest image of Windows 10 from Microsoft & do a … Why not just download latest image of Windows 10 from Microsoft & do a clean install on a spare (blank) hard drive. Install the relevant drivers if Windows update misses any, install a game & see if it works or not.

Well all my windows 10 is up to date. Last time I replaced my mobo last month, RAM and cpu and done a format on the ssd the OS was on. Then my HDD was showing half empty and it was picking up the games but wasn't showing the games in storage or anywhere so couldn't access them, only see them on steam etc and same with the other ssd so that's why I thought a conflict could be going on. Like I said though, I'm not a massive techy person and everything if seen on Internet or asked people I've done and all come back normal

Original Poster

riccom

if your pc is 'crashing', whether its games or apps you should see an … if your pc is 'crashing', whether its games or apps you should see an entry in your event viewer and IF its mainly/only games crashing then it points to a possible problem with your gpu/psu being put under load and as such, this freezing and crashing is a result.Only you know the exact symptoms but you need to give a more detailed description of what crashes exactly (for example chrome wouldnt crash if you lose connection to your router, it would just show the website as being unavailable).

Well it started off with RB6, locking computer up or shutting down to uplay and stating "oops, youve crashed" but thats because thats the game I play all the time so noticed it on that first then For Honor and now games on steam like shadow of mordor, infinite warfare, modern warfare remastered and they say "so and so stopped working" and Google Chrome freezes and then says no responding then after a couple mins responds again.
    Edited by: "Danjw91" 16th Feb

Strip it back to the bare essentials. Motherboard, CPU, RAM and one HD or SSD. Presumably you can use the on-board graphics? Format that one drive and install a clean copy of Windows. Get all the up-to-date drivers directly from the manufacturers. Install one game that you know crashes and test. If OK, probably a faulty GPU or power supply. Try swapping these for known good ones. What make/model power supply are you currently using?

Original Poster

computersandstuff

Strip it back to the bare essentials. Motherboard, CPU, RAM and one HD … Strip it back to the bare essentials. Motherboard, CPU, RAM and one HD or SSD. Presumably you can use the on-board graphics? Format that one drive and install a clean copy of Windows. Get all the up-to-date drivers directly from the manufacturers. Install one game that you know crashes and test. If OK, probably a faulty GPU or power supply. Try swapping these for known good ones. What make/model power supply are you currently using?

That's just blown my mind haha! I'm not sure bout the on board graphics as that will certainly not run RB6 Siege. I have a EVGA 850W BQ. This whole problem has just pi**ed me off to point of just binning PC Gaming off.

Danjw91

Well I'm not a massive techy person so doing that just saves me time and … Well I'm not a massive techy person so doing that just saves me time and looking for drivers that need updating like the Intel ones etc. I haven't tried that, without a gpu how am I meant to test games? Also my GPU is a evga 1070 sc and the SC is meant to light up which it doesn't seem to so not sure if that's an indication maybe gpu is faulty

Looks like that's the problem. Could potentially reseat the gpu and power connection

The motherboard will have on board graphics. They are terrible but if you have a really old game in your library test using that

I had major issues with 2 laptops on Windows 10 with SSDs. Both kept pausing for a few seconds constantly. Reformatted and re-loaded Windows onto one of them with no difference. Turned out the anniversary update had made a change to the AHCI controller driver which was fixed by using a driver supplied by Intel (the m/b chipset driver). If you search quite a few people people have had driver issues from the anniversary update so may be worth checking you have specific drivers and not MS generic drivers for your hardware.
    Edited by: "paul123edwards" 16th Feb

Original Poster

corrazy

Looks like that's the problem. Could potentially reseat the gpu and power … Looks like that's the problem. Could potentially reseat the gpu and power connectionThe motherboard will have on board graphics. They are terrible but if you have a really old game in your library test using that

I've had the gpu out and back in and psu connections are all good. I'm not sure but my pc was on balanced performance and changed it to high performance but doubt that would cause crashing.

Danjw91

I've had the gpu out and back in and psu connections are all good. I'm … I've had the gpu out and back in and psu connections are all good. I'm not sure but my pc was on balanced performance and changed it to high performance but doubt that would cause crashing.

Do a rollback of the 1070 driver.
    Press "windows"+R then type devmgmt.msc (think in windows 10 you can right click and select device manager)
    Plusdown display adapater then right click and properties of the 1070
    Click the driver tab and then click "Roll Back Driver"
    give it a quick test and if it's ok thats good.

Also, i'd rollback anyway then install the driver directly form nvidia instead of that software you are using:
    geforce.co.uk/dri…ers

Original Poster

corrazy

Do a rollback of the 1070 driver.Press "windows"+R then type devmgmt.msc … Do a rollback of the 1070 driver.Press "windows"+R then type devmgmt.msc (think in windows 10 you can right click and select device manager)Plusdown display adapater then right click and properties of the 1070Click the driver tab and then click "Roll Back Driver"give it a quick test and if it's ok thats good. Also, i'd rollback anyway then install the driver directly form nvidia instead of that software you are using:http://www.geforce.co.uk/drivers

I have done this already dude. I wiped all the gpu and installed drivers from November and still crashed.

Danjw91

I have done this already dude. I wiped all the gpu and installed drivers … I have done this already dude. I wiped all the gpu and installed drivers from November and still crashed.

Has it alweays crashed with the 1070? Do you have another card?

Original Poster

corrazy

Has it alweays crashed with the 1070? Do you have another card?

I don't have another card and nope. It started once I changed all mobo, ram, cpu over and I formatted my OS ssd but my HDD was showing memory was half taken but wasn't showing games in storage so I didn't format it I just reset pc to deleted all game and then it started so it could be hdd and other ssd need formatting. It was fine after the reset though then rb6 crashed after an update and now does crash a lot and other games. Played 4 games on it now and no crash since put on high performance but who knows

what way is the ram installed? side by side or in slots 1/3 or 2/4?

at this point, i'd re-seat everything (RAM,GPU,HDD/SSD sata connectors) except the CPU. Did you carry out the uggrade yourself? Is everything plugged into the mobo in exactlyt the right place, nothing blocking air intakes etc? if you've done everything you've mentioned, run something like unigine heaven with HWiNFO running to check for problems while tasking the system a little

Original Poster

corrazy

what way is the ram installed? side by side or in slots 1/3 or 2/4?at … what way is the ram installed? side by side or in slots 1/3 or 2/4?at this point, i'd re-seat everything (RAM,GPU,HDD/SSD sata connectors) except the CPU. Did you carry out the uggrade yourself? Is everything plugged into the mobo in exactlyt the right place, nothing blocking air intakes etc? if you've done everything you've mentioned, run something like unigine heaven with HWiNFO running to check for problems while tasking the system a little

My mobo only has 2 slots anyway and I did do it myself but I know everything is correctly installed. It's just really frustrating. I ran stress test on 3dMark and that has a 98.1% pass rate. Ran memtest86 and that came back pass with 0 errors

Underclock the memory and core on your gpu and see if it's stable. Pretty sure it's a GPU or power issue.

Original Poster

kester76

Underclock the memory and core on your gpu and see if it's stable. Pretty … Underclock the memory and core on your gpu and see if it's stable. Pretty sure it's a GPU or power issue.

Don't see why you should need your underclock though, I see your point to see if it's the gpu problem. Like I've said, might be minor but the SC on the card is meant to light up but doesn't, could be sign on a fault. Games atm are running fine since switching pc to high performance rather than on balanced but don't see how that would cause problems

Try windows 7 instead of using the same OS

Danjw91

Don't see why you should need your underclock though, I see your point to … Don't see why you should need your underclock though, I see your point to see if it's the gpu problem. Like I've said, might be minor but the SC on the card is meant to light up but doesn't, could be sign on a fault. Games atm are running fine since switching pc to high performance rather than on balanced but don't see how that would cause problems

You can run something like MSI afterburner and underclock the video card memory. It just rules out if you have slightly dodgy memory or memory controller on the GPU.

Original Poster

kester76

You can run something like MSI afterburner and underclock the video card … You can run something like MSI afterburner and underclock the video card memory. It just rules out if you have slightly dodgy memory or memory controller on the GPU.

Ye got MSI afterburner. I've formatted all my hard drives and reinstalled windows so will text it over next few days. Fingers crossed that's fixed it otherwise gpu is going back

I have had sooooo many issues since i got windows 10, Started off okay now there is a new issue a day
    Edited by: "donbarney" 18th Feb
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)34
      2. Amazon prime subscribe & save46
      3. Decent Mp3 Player?22
      4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?610

See more discussions