Windows 10 scrap keys, is there a catch?

Found 2nd May 2017
Noticed there's many scrap keys going on eBay from old scrapped computers, is there a catch as to why they're being sold for so cheap, other than being stuck to one motherboard for its lifetime? For around £2 that's more than worth it, anyone else bought any of these keys before? Experience? Is there a chance that a few years down the line the product keys will be invalid and you'll have to buy another one? May just go for it as they've got many good reviews on eBay and Reddit users seem to have no problems with them? Any advice is appreciated.
Community Updates
AskWindowsWindows 10
10 Comments
Why would you even need a key? You can use w10 for ever without a key with only a few limitations.
It breaches T&C so worst case Microsoft revoke it at some point. But seems unlikely
I have about 200 of them from a rollout I did so would be interested in the answer!
I have some idea that they sell each code about 3 times. MS generally allow you to activate more than once before they lock it out... That is the illegal bit.
Genuine 'scrap' keys though are perfectly legal - there was a test case a few years ago which MS lost conclusively
Edited by: "Boringgit" 2nd May 2017
I bought one for W10 pro ....and Office 2016, both work fine, had them running for a few months now
Edited by: "Phreshman" 3rd May 2017
I've upgraded from OEM windows 7 Ultimate on multiple machines with no issues. Why waste 2 quid?
Do they activate straight off, or do you have to do some telephone wrangling?
EvilMatt

I've upgraded from OEM windows 7 Ultimate on multiple machines with no … I've upgraded from OEM windows 7 Ultimate on multiple machines with no issues. Why waste 2 quid?

Sorry, what do you mean?
f2k8

Sorry, what do you mean?

I mean, I've installed OEM versions of Windows 7 Ultimate onto machines and upgraded them to windows 10 pro even using the Assisted Technologies upgrade.
EvilMatt

I mean, I've installed OEM versions of Windows 7 Ultimate onto machines … I mean, I've installed OEM versions of Windows 7 Ultimate onto machines and upgraded them to windows 10 pro even using the Assisted Technologies upgrade.

I've upgraded before and it messed everything up on my PC, and lead to numerous bsods, but when I do a fresh W10 install it's fine. Anyway, I bought one of these keys for £2 and so far so good.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants