Groups

Windows 10 thread, tips, best apps, thoughts etc

Give your best tips and app suggestions for windows 10

Top comments

Uninstall / revert back to Windows 7 would be my top tip. (_;)
    17 Comments

Original Poster

My pc only has a 32gb hard drive, so in Edge browser settings, Ive set the download location to the D:\ drive, which is a slim fitting usb SD card. So no more running out of space .
    Just done a fresh install of the latest version of windows, I've got 19.5 gig free at the moment

Original Poster

Set your wifi connection as Metered, to stop automatic download of updates.
    Obviously this will stop automatic updates, so do so at your own risk.

Apache Open Office is free, and seems to work well (i.e. opens Excel and Word docs), and is not a space hog.

lumsdot

My pc only has a 32gb hard drive, so in Edge browser settings, Ive set … My pc only has a 32gb hard drive, so in Edge browser settings, Ive set the download location to the D:\ drive, which is a slim fitting usb SD card. So no more running out of space .Just done a fresh install of the latest version of windows, I've got 19.5 gig free at the moment

My Acer Revo only has 32Gb emmc storage - any program that can be installed to external location are installed onto my D Drive (64gb SD card) + all my docs/videos/downloads etc are also stored to D Drive automatically

Right click any User folder - select Properties - click Location Tab and select move

Some application auto install to Programs folder but if the are large programs do a search for offline installer or portable
    Edited by: "philphil61" 2nd Jul

Unless you want to change the desktop background to a silly image or perform some other sad personalisation, there is no requirement to purchase nor otherwise acquire nor provide a key / serial / licence code to use a W10 installation indefinitely; just install W10 and use.

Uninstall / revert back to Windows 7 would be my top tip. (_;)

Windows key opens up the menu, strange how many people don't use this.

Hold Windows key + press X

Hold control (ctrl) and press enter, never type www. Or .com again

Easy ones but not everybody knows them.
    Edited by: "catbeans" 2nd Jul

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Unless you want to change the desktop background to a silly image or … Unless you want to change the desktop background to a silly image or perform some other sad personalisation, there is no requirement to purchase nor otherwise acquire nor provide a key / serial / licence code to use a W10 installation indefinitely; just install W10 and use.

Also if your version is currently activated with a Digital License, this means you can do a full format of your hard drive and re-install from any newly created windows 10 bootable USB drive (which you can create from the Microsoft web site) ,
    on first start up microsoft will pick up your hardware details and reactive your license (so no need to worry about remembering windows Product Keys)

Edited by: "lumsdot" 2nd Jul

lumsdot2 h, 15 m ago

Also if your version is currently activated with a Digital License, this …Also if your version is currently activated with a Digital License, this means you can do a full format of your hard drive and re-install from any newly created windows 10 bootable USB drive (which you can create from the Microsoft web site) , on first start up microsoft will pick up your hardware details and reactive your license (so no need to worry about remembering windows Product Keys)

​Does it remember other things by using your hotmail/outlook login? How unique is this.. could you do it on the identical model of laptop instead of a new Windows install?

Original Poster

Dawsy

Does it remember other things by using your hotmail/outlook login? How … Does it remember other things by using your hotmail/outlook login? How unique is this.. could you do it on the identical model of laptop instead of a new Windows install?

Your windows license is tied to your specific hardware, so if you put a fresh copy of windows on the same pc, Microsoft detects this and auto-renew the license (if you have a digital license). it will not work on a similar pc or laptop since those will have different mac addresses tied to the network card and motherboard etc.

If you use a Microsoft account, it may remember some basic pc settings, and remember which apps you have purchased, not sure though,

lumsdot38 m ago

Your windows license is tied to your specific hardware, so if you put a …Your windows license is tied to your specific hardware, so if you put a fresh copy of windows on the same pc, Microsoft detects this and auto-renew the license (if you have a digital license). it will not work on a similar pc or laptop since those will have different mac addresses tied to the network card and motherboard etc.If you use a Microsoft account, it may remember some basic pc settings, and remember which apps you have purchased, not sure though,

​Thanks. Have a work laptop and identical model for my daughter. I have a docking station and was thinking I could image my daughter's laptop and use work hardware but my image..
    But it's only things like f/w for a Lenovo mobile that I can't use my work laptop for so at the moment not a priority for me.
    I can see me just buying another laptop identical to my works one for myself.
    Windows 7 key on laptop and then upgrade to win 10. Did that for my daughter's and then the £9.99 Microsoft office business licence.

lumsdot

My pc only has a 32gb hard drive, so in Edge browser settings, Ive set … My pc only has a 32gb hard drive, so in Edge browser settings, Ive set the download location to the D:\ drive, which is a slim fitting usb SD card. So no more running out of space .Just done a fresh install of the latest version of windows, I've got 19.5 gig free at the moment

Acquaint yourself with Mklink. It'll let you use storage on other drives or network locations as if they were on your C drive, or anywhere else.

Best tip is disable Cortana and edge browser as both are useless.

lumsdot

Your windows license is tied to your specific hardware

So if your cpu or mobo die, you are stuffed.

(I had both happen last month, but sensibly, I refused to install win10, so my system still works perfectly with a new cpu and mobo)

As above, the best tip is to upgrade to Win7 Pro; Win 10 is a spyware laden mess.

Stardock Fences
    Got mine part of a Humble Bundle a while back
    Lets you do this
    31353473-pDg0h.jpg

lumsdot10 h, 44 m ago

Your windows license is tied to your specific hardware, so if you put a …Your windows license is tied to your specific hardware, so if you put a fresh copy of windows on the same pc, Microsoft detects this and auto-renew the license (if you have a digital license). it will not work on a similar pc or laptop since those will have different mac addresses tied to the network card and motherboard etc.If you use a Microsoft account, it may remember some basic pc settings, and remember which apps you have purchased, not sure though,

Your Windows License is also tied to the admins Microsoft/outlook account, if you chose to sign in during the installation.

May be too late for most people but if you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 it does not invalidate your Windows 7 license so you can use both in tandem.

I have a desktop PC and before I upgraded to Windows 10 I took a backup image of Windows 7 and stored it on my external hard drive.

I then upgraded to Windows 10 and again took a backup image.

I now have two hard disks, one with Windows 7 on it, the other with Windows 10 on it, and I can put either in my desktop PC and they both work fine.

This is one way to get used to Windows 10 while still also using Windows 7.

Not such a good solution for laptop users (due to difficulty of removing the hard drive) or for those with fixed solid state drives in their laptop.

To take an image of Windows 7 or 10 I use Macrium Reflect Free, a free version of the product. This is an amazing product and I have taken backup images of many PCs and it has always been rock solid. You can restore Windows back to a smaller hard disk or a larger hard disk, and change the partition sizes as you do.

Web site here

macrium.com/ref…ree

As many people know, you can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free using the "assistive technology" route (even if you don't use assistive technology.

Web site here

microsoft.com/en-…ade?tduid=(284566aee094d2799ea7d6e8bc3ef564)(266696)(1503186)(92X590208Xbbd8b30961cc99db2d907513f5d9d3ec)()
    Edited by: "guilbert53" 3rd Jul

​Not sure about oem but you can just swap windows 10 between whole systems but need to re-register the change with microsoft. I ripped an SSD out of my hp netbook and shoved it into my g2020 ivybridge pc. Everything worked fine except the netbook was a 32bit atom so I need to install a 64bit OS on it sometime.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1827
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2495
      3. Cat Chat77735
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767394

See more discussions