Windows 10 won't connect to wifi

Posted 19th Feb
My Windows 10 tablet suddenly refuses to connect to my WiFi. This happened overnight with no action on my part as it was working fine at 2am. Several other devices (Windows and Android) are still connecting and functioning fine.

I've rebooted the hotspot and the tablet multiple times with no effect. I've reset the WiFi adapter in the tablet and run the laughably named Windows Troubleshooter. I've also set up a separate hotspot on another phone, and the tablet won't connect to that one either, so fairly sure it's a Windows problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other things to try? I don't want to be factory resetting the thing unless there's no other option, although at this point it looks like a hardware issue so even the hardest of resets won't do any good.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
What does device manager say about the hardware?
Being windows 10 a driver update overnight could have KO'd it
esar19/02/2020 13:53

What does device manager say about the hardware?Being windows 10 a driver …What does device manager say about the hardware?Being windows 10 a driver update overnight could have KO'd it

There don't seem to be any issues with it (no exclamation marks etc). What should I be looking for?
Look to see if you can see other WiFi networks in range
Sounds like windows automatic update has a bug in the most recent update. I would undo the latest update (see what softwares were updated, manually undo WiFi if possible) it happened to me about 3 months ago.
esar19/02/2020 14:15

Look to see if you can see other WiFi networks in range

It can see all the usual networks including my own - it just won't connect to it.
Only thing I can think of is once I seperated my WiFi to 2.4 and 5ghz. And I forgot some devices were only 2.4 so won't connect to 5ghz. So if you messed with WiFi settings or not might be worth a look.
Create a hotspot on your phone and then try and connect to that
esar19/02/2020 15:42

Create a hotspot on your phone and then try and connect to that

Done that already (mentioned in the OP). That's how I was able to isolate it to a problem on the tablet OS or hardware.
Ferris19/02/2020 15:47

Done that already (mentioned in the OP). That's how I was able to isolate …Done that already (mentioned in the OP). That's how I was able to isolate it to a problem on the tablet OS or hardware.

Wasn't sure, can you roll back the update as previously mentioned?
Quick checks using your terminology: "on the separate hotspot on another phone" does the tablet appear in the list of blocked device(s)? If not:
"on the separate hotspot on another phone" temporarily remove the encryption so the network is open. See if tablet connects.
could try uninstalling the WiFi adaptor (it will reinstall it again automatically).

other thing to try is checking if there are any updates on the laptop manufacturers page.
i had this problem on hubby's laptop last year. it was windows 10 and i went through all the different ways of trying to get it to connect. the problem was that it kept disconnecting randomly and you had to reconnect. it turned out to the firewall from avast so when i removed avast from the laptop and only used windows defender the problem never occurred again.

i don't know if you have firewall on a windows 10 tablet?
Edited by: "mutley1" 19th Feb
Go to device manager
Look for anything labelled wifi or ac something under network devices
Right click - uninstall
Reboot

This may fix it for you.
Thanks for the replies. I went through everything again but nothing helped. Resigned to the WiFi card being fried and looking up external solutions.

Went out for a coffee, came back and as soon as I typed in the password, it connected.

One of the stranger IT issues I've ever encountered, as both the advent of the problem and its resolution had no human involvement.
Probably windows update in general
Ferris19/02/2020 18:50

Thanks for the replies. I went through everything again but nothing …Thanks for the replies. I went through everything again but nothing helped. Resigned to the WiFi card being fried and looking up external solutions. Went out for a coffee, came back and as soon as I typed in the password, it connected. One of the stranger IT issues I've ever encountered, as both the advent of the problem and its resolution had no human involvement.

it may have received updates while you were out and that resolved the problem. good to hear you got it sorted.
mutley119/02/2020 20:00

it may have received updates while you were out and that resolved the …it may have received updates while you were out and that resolved the problem. good to hear you got it sorted.

Is a nice idea, but it was switched off and with no Internet connection (I had to reverify on the network after I switched it back on) , so quite unlikely to have had a new update! Just one of those puzzling intermittent problems.
Ferris19/02/2020 21:13

Is a nice idea, but it was switched off and with no Internet connection (I …Is a nice idea, but it was switched off and with no Internet connection (I had to reverify on the network after I switched it back on) , so quite unlikely to have had a new update! Just one of those puzzling intermittent problems.

then it may simply be the switching off and on again that had sorted out the issue. i often have to do this on my phone when it loses signal or wifi connection.
mutley119/02/2020 23:01

then it may simply be the switching off and on again that had sorted out …then it may simply be the switching off and on again that had sorted out the issue. i often have to do this on my phone when it loses signal or wifi connection.

Yeah, it's a regularly used solution with all kinds of tech. In this case, I'd switched everything off and on again so many times, I don't think it can possibly have been just that.
Yeh, as mentioned above. This has happened to me a few times. Trash the Wifi adapter in Device Manager and reboot your computer (to reinstall it). Seems pretty common in Windows 10.
No rhyme or reason, that's just Windows for ya!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants