Groups

Windows 10 won't detect second monitor

Windows 10 will no longer detect my second monitor (Tv via hdmi) it has worked in the past on Windows 10. I have tried all the basics, updating drivers etc. When I press Windows key + p it says ' Your PC can't project to another screen. Try reinstalling the driver or using another video card' Anybody any other ideas?

12 Comments

Is windows 10 detecting your TV in device manager? Try changing your hdmi cable or swaping TV hdmi ports.

Tried a different HDMI port on the TV or a different cable?

What are you using to display to the second monitor? Basic motherboard or a gpu with dual outputs? If so which type?

As mentioned above try to eliminate the issues one by one. Will your laptop detect another monitor / TV or is is just this one that's the problem? Are you able to try a different HDMI cable?

Original Poster

aaqeel

Is windows 10 detecting your TV in device manager? Try changing your hdmi … Is windows 10 detecting your TV in device manager? Try changing your hdmi cable or swaping TV hdmi ports.

No it won't detect it at all. Cable and tv are both fine as it works with laptop just not pc

It might be worth trying the second monitor on its own as the main screen too, just to see whether it's using it as the secondary that's the problem, or the monitor in general.

Original Poster

ipswich78

As mentioned above try to eliminate the issues one by one. Will your … As mentioned above try to eliminate the issues one by one. Will your laptop detect another monitor / TV or is is just this one that's the problem? Are you able to try a different HDMI cable?

Yep I've tried it with laptop instead of pc and it works fine so can't be the cable or tv

Original Poster

Quietus

It might be worth trying the second monitor on its own as the main screen … It might be worth trying the second monitor on its own as the main screen too, just to see whether it's using it as the secondary that's the problem, or the monitor in general.

Good thinking I'll try that next

Original Poster

Quietus

It might be worth trying the second monitor on its own as the main screen … It might be worth trying the second monitor on its own as the main screen too, just to see whether it's using it as the secondary that's the problem, or the monitor in general.

Genius!! It worked then when I plugged original monitor back it that worked too. All back as it should be thanks!!

howarth3

Genius!! It worked then when I plugged original monitor back it that … Genius!! It worked then when I plugged original monitor back it that worked too. All back as it should be thanks!!

Good to hear! I think if you select it as 'best answer', it'll mark this thread as solved.:)

Original Poster

Quietus

Good to hear! I think if you select it as 'best answer', it'll mark this … Good to hear! I think if you select it as 'best answer', it'll mark this thread as solved.:)

Can't find how to do that....? Ha

howarth3

Can't find how to do that....? Ha

I think normally, if you're the person to ask the question, you look along from where a user's name is, and you then have the time of their message, and after that it usually says 'Mark as best answer'. If it's not there, don't worry too much, as this will naturally get buried anyway.:)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions