Groups

Windows 7 and DPI on a large monitor

Banned
    Trying to use a 40" TV with full HD resolution but everything is really small and hard to see from my sofa. I've bumped the DPI up to 150% but still everything is too small, when I put it to 200% the resolution looks like it's gone down to 800x600 and windows don't fit on the screen any more.

Apart from wearing binos is there a solution?

13 Comments

What are you wanting to do with the W7 machine? If it's media related it may be worth looking at something like Boxee which has an interface designed to be used from a sofa. The software does a great job of indexing media stored on the machine and through online services such as Iplayer, 4OD etc.

John

Original Poster Banned

Trying to do everything you usually do on a PC, browse internet, look at vehicle schematics and part numbers, edit home movies, play games, look at ****...

Edited by: "lumoruk" 11th May 2011

What's the actual resolution your video card is outputting at? My laptop outputs at 1024×768 as standard on a monitor (including TVs), but it looks OK on my 32" TV. Can read the text from a few meters away..

Don't have the resolution too high, but make sure you select one which maintains the correct aspect ratio of 16:9.. when my laptop is connected to the TV, everything is squished a bit cos of the crap resolution not being the proper proportions.

I don't think you're going to be able to do that at a distance, as you've said it's either too small or if you go much the other way it's going to be too large and not fit properly.

John

Original Poster Banned

re oldmamhouse its 1080p i forget the first number.i watch hd films so needs to be 1080p.

lumoruk

re oldmamhouse its 1080p i forget the first number.i watch hd films so … re oldmamhouse its 1080p i forget the first number.i watch hd films so needs to be 1080p.

1920x1080

Have you tried the features of ease of access e.g magnifier. I've never run it so it may not be a good option. windows.microsoft.com/en-…ier

Original Poster Banned

ha ha yes but it brings up a little box and looks ridiculous

Banned

I use 720p because its good enough, and I usually download at that res anyway, and I've got DPI set to 1 up from the norm I think.

Thats on a 37" TV.

My 23" 1920x1080 monitor shows everything clear, but I am only siiting 2ft away from it.

Your 40" monitor is showing exactly the same picture, so you need to sit closer to it.

How far from the TV are you hoping to sit ?

Original Poster Banned

3 to 4m

dcx_badass

Ctrl + spin mouse wheel solves all problems.

Only on websites I believe.

Ctrl and +/- also works.

Original Poster Banned

dcx_badass

Ctrl + spin mouse wheel solves all problems.

Yeah have installed a zoom add on for firefox. But stuff like Mcafee pops up tiny little windows that I can't read.

Original Poster Banned

dcx_badass

Nah-uh, with Windows 7 it works on the desktop and in explorer (my … Nah-uh, with Windows 7 it works on the desktop and in explorer (my computer and all folders etc).

Can't get it to work on desktop, in explorer it just changes the thumbnail option
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *Heads Up* Free Wrestling on Sunday 10pm YouTube, Facebook and WWE.com. Sum…11
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?27127
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764186
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?77

See more discussions