Windows 7, downloading it at university question.

30 replies
Found 22nd Oct 2009
Ive bought windows 7 and now ive realised, our university has a download limit of 1gb a day, the file will come to 3gb i think so how can i download it

Pain in the rear hole!! anybody else got the student offer for £30? let us know when u get ur download link

30 Comments

Original Poster

haha just got my email now!

Get the link and download elsewhere, put onto a dvd or something?

got my copy for free got pro and im a student but if i want more copies i have to pay £30 lol

danny09;6650197

got my copy for free got pro and im a student but if i want more … got my copy for free got pro and im a student but if i want more copies i have to pay £30 lol

Want to get me one for £30 lol

niggit;6650200

Want to get me one for £30 lol

would cost a bit more than £30 ;-) obviously i need to download it again, put it on a cd which will hold it, then i also need to post it to you ;-) lol

danny09;6650197

got my copy for free got pro and im a student but if i want more … got my copy for free got pro and im a student but if i want more copies i have to pay £30 lol

How did you get the free one??

lol, true, you cant work for free lol

deathtrap3000;6650223

How did you get the free one??

my lecturer at college gets loads of software as he used to work for microsoft got a special website where i get one copy of something free and the rest i have to pay like £30 for or something like that

dcx_badass;6650239

Do something like ICT at Uni.

or college lol

Original Poster

danny09;6650258

or college lol

im a business student so £30 aint bad, just dreadding the money coming out 4 weeks into uni and i still havent got my loan

golemsmate;6650285

im a business student so £30 aint bad, just dreadding the money coming … im a business student so £30 aint bad, just dreadding the money coming out 4 weeks into uni and i still havent got my loan

dcx_badass;6650295

Don't worry, I've had my load and spent it already haha. You're actually … Don't worry, I've had my load and spent it already haha. You're actually lucky.

lol unlucky, im so glad im not at uni im doing 2 years at my college and the another 2 years at the same college doing a HND and then only 1 year at uni to get my BA Hons lol

dcx_badass;6650300

Nah I love uni, having an awesome time.

ahh thats good then, i wanted to go to uni, but i found a cheaper way so i dont have to get into so much debt lol

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6650295

Don't worry, I've had my loan and spent it already haha. You're actually … Don't worry, I've had my loan and spent it already haha. You're actually lucky.

haha ive been spending my reserves, thank god i had a job before hand or i would of been so antisocial

Downloading as we speak

Original Poster

ryouga;6650361

Downloading as we speak

same it was downloadin at 2.5mb a sec but its gone down to 500kbs gonna be sat in the social space for another 40 minutes!

golemsmate;6650373

same it was downloadin at 2.5mb a sec but its gone down to 500kbs same it was downloadin at 2.5mb a sec but its gone down to 500kbs gonna be sat in the social space for another 40 minutes!

Think everyone has the same idea, I am on a home connection and getting 1.4 megabytes a second so about 30 minutes.

Original Poster

ryouga;6650380

Think everyone has the same idea, I am on a home connection and getting … Think everyone has the same idea, I am on a home connection and getting 1.4 megabytes a second so about 30 minutes.

mine at home would be 700kbs max so im not complaining

dcx_badass;6650392

I've not bought it yet, stupid student offer makes us choose 32 or 64 … I've not bought it yet, stupid student offer makes us choose 32 or 64 bit, instead of giving us both.

Retails the same, Just noticed from email its an EXE file which I am worried about as want to keep my Vista Home Premium as a spare

dcx_badass;6650443

I think it creates the iso as you can do a clean install from the disk. … I think it creates the iso as you can do a clean install from the disk. And the student offer makes you choose 32 or 64bit.

Yeah but OEMS are 32 or 64 bit anyway, I think its just retail ones that are both.

Original Poster

urm guys im confused how do i upgrade to windows 7 64bit from vista 32?

its saying its not a valid 32bit application

My internet dropped out for 15 minutes so I'm behind noooo it always seems to drop out around this time each night then goes really fast again(back to 1.5 meg.

Original Poster

how do i do a clean install, its created a folder on my computer could i boot it from a urmm usb pen

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6650521

No idea without seeing the files.

did u get it through the £30 download straight from microsoft? im all confused haha

dcx_badass;6650528

I've not bought it yet, don't see the point. XP does everything I need.

I reckon XP SP3 was some sort of consipiracy as my friend first mentioned to me that many people had thier pc's crash.

Then I put XP onto a quad core machine and it kept BSOD'ing or just randomly freezing.

dcx_badass;6650532

ryouga you called andy?

andy?

dcx_badass;6650539

My XP SP3 works fine on both my PC's.Someone on thestudentroom posted at … My XP SP3 works fine on both my PC's.Someone on thestudentroom posted at almost the same time as you here saying there internet just dropped for 15 mins when downloading windows 7 like you said.

Yh thats me but my name isnt andy.

Original Poster

im going to try to put the files straight onto USB and boot it off that, its a longshot!

I installed it, no difference yet but the quick launch icons and toolbar look a bit too big.

EDIT : Just off to bed but I have the folder where the extracted exe put the install files that include stuff like a boot folder and autorun any ideas on an easy way to burn this to a dvd rw as self booting so I can run a clean install(that way I can wipe the HD incase any Vista files are left over)

Original Poster

It was too late last night I gave up my brain couldnt understand it! so now ive worked out how to make a bootable USB pen its quite simple really

if anyone else is having the problem here u go! sevenforums.com/tut…tml

Hmmm anyone know how to make the folder with the autorun and boot bits bootable to dvd?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244869
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322824
    3. Add one, leave one game54315391
    4. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2585

See more discussions