Windows 7 - help

I put windows 7 on an old laptop but now it's not detecting the wireless or the sound output device.

I presume it needs new drivers or they might not even be compatible with windows 7?

How do i find out exactly the specifications of the wireless adapter and sound card and where i can check if they are compatible?

21 Comments

did it pick up the neckwork card, can you connect to the net on it

Original Poster

wickedteen;6783742

did it pick up the neckwork card, can you connect to the net on it

no it says to connect an ethernet cable, can't find the card anywhere on it :?

does it not have the ethernet socket on the side

Original Poster

wickedteen;6783776

does it not have the ethernet socket on the side

yeah it does have an ethernet socket, haven't got a cable at the moment though, just wondering why it won't connect wirelessly

if you use the cable and connect to the net it will then get about 100 updates which wil sort the rest of your laptop out.
how are you connected now??

Do you have any driver disks that came with the laptop? If you do and there are Vista drivers, use those. If you know the make and model of the laptop you may be able to download drivers from the manufacturers website (on another computer of course, or with that Ethernet cable you don't have!). Is there any info about the components in Device Manager?

Original Poster

wickedteen;6783834

if you use the cable and connect to the net it will then get about 100 … if you use the cable and connect to the net it will then get about 100 updates which wil sort the rest of your laptop out.how are you connected now??

oh i see i'm on my other laptop, as i said this was my old one i updated :thumbsup:

Which laptop make/model is it?

Original Poster

WayOfTheRoss;6783847

Do you have any driver disks that came with the laptop? If you do and … Do you have any driver disks that came with the laptop? If you do and there are Vista drivers, use those. If you know the make and model of the laptop you may be able to download drivers from the manufacturers website (on another computer of course, or with that Ethernet cable you don't have!). Is there any info about the components in Device Manager?

It's an acer laptop but i haven't got any discs for it, i'll try to get hold of an ethernet cable nd go from there

Original Poster

SUMMONER;6783859

Which laptop make/model is it?

an acer travelmate 4021LMi

souljacker;6783891

an acer travelmate 4021LMi

Can you not just go to the Acer website on whatever you are using now, download the drivers for XP/Vista, save them to a USB stick and install them on your laptop with your freshly installed Windows 7? At least if you can get the LAN driver working in the first instance, a update online may solve the rest of the driver issues.

that is the link i put up it takes you direct to the drivers for your laptop

Original Poster

wickedteen;6783931

heres your answer for your … heres your answer for your drivershttp://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_4020.htmlcheck it out, i found it on a forum for drivers

thanks for that, so the vista drivers will do the trick?

try the one for your wireless first, then do the rest through win7 updates

Audio:
[url]ftp://ftp.work.acer-euro.com/notebook/travelmate_4020/vista/Drivers/Realtek%20High%20Definition%20Audio%20Driver.zip[/url]

There aren't Vista drivers on the acer site for the wireless therefore try these (French)
Wifi:
clubic.com/lan…tml

the chipset driver is on there and that will do it

Original Poster

cheers guys, got the wireless sorted bt when i try to update the audio driver it says only windows me xp and vista is supported

souljacker;6784726

cheers guys, got the wireless sorted bt when i try to update the audio … cheers guys, got the wireless sorted bt when i try to update the audio driver it says only windows me xp and vista is supported

]Try this Realtek Audio driver.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;6785007

]Try this Realtek Audio driver.

thanks i'll try that.

(been away since i last posted, hence the late reply :thumbsup:)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    3. GOT Leaks again416
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763949

See more discussions