Found 7th Oct 2009
With the imminent release of Windows 7 and the thousands of us that pre-bought it, what does everyone recommend as the best way to do an install? Do a full install or an upgrade. Would like to start from scratch but I have 200Gb worth of stuff on my computer and nowhere to put it all while doing a clean install.

11 Comments

I did a fresh install, bought an 80gb hard drive just for the OS, then all of my other stuff is on another drive.

That way if the OS goes i can just format it and re-load it, no harm done

Original Poster

On a laptop unfortunately so that isn't an option.

Use a live partitioning tool to partition part of your existing drive off in order to install win 7 on it. I'd say 25-30 GB would be about right, once you install this you will be able to dual boot with your existing OS too. Just point the paths for your "documents" folders to where they will be on your current set-up.

Gparted is a good tool that you can run from either usb or cd.

Personally I like to keep separate drives for my OS and documents so if I want to do a clean install its a quick and easy job (I can do a clean install of an OS and all my programmes in under 2 hours including ciggy/coffee breaks, chasing the dogs, herding the kids etc.)
Just seen its for a laptop, you can still do the partitioning as it works as a separate drive.

Banned

harlzter;6509649

Use a live partitioning tool to partition part of your existing drive off … Use a live partitioning tool to partition part of your existing drive off in order to install win 7 on it. I'd say 25-30 GB would be about right, once you install this you will be able to dual boot with your existing OS too. Just point the paths for your "documents" folders to where they will be on your current set-up. Gparted is a good tool that you can run from either usb or cd.Personally I like to keep separate drives for my OS and documents so if I want to do a clean install its a quick and easy job (I can do a clean install of an OS and all my programmes in under 2 hours including ciggy/coffee breaks, chasing the dogs, herding the kids etc.)Just seen its for a laptop, you can still do the partitioning as it works as a separate drive.

Well said!!

Original Poster

Have got access to an external hard drive so anyone got any ideas about whether to use the windows file transfer wizard or am I going to have to back up everything manually.

martinhb;6509819

Have got access to an external hard drive so anyone got any ideas about … Have got access to an external hard drive so anyone got any ideas about whether to use the windows file transfer wizard or am I going to have to back up everything manually.

[FONT=Verdana]Assuming your only wanting to transfer over data files then I would recommend copying all over the data over to the external USB hard disk - as I'm getting more paranoid in my old age, I would suggest doing two copies and try to organise your data accordingly.

For my backups I routinely use the TeraCopy utility, which is quite good for the application files that I need to copy over but there are other utilities out there.

Speed up File Copying with TeraCopy - Downloads - Lifehacker
lifehacker.com/263…opy

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

any help appreciated, ive got win 7, want to clean install the 64 bit version, ive moved all program files and program data from one partition to an empty one, anything else i need to to - ive done all my music, itunes, photos etc as well

Banned

ms01ma;6645577

any help appreciated, ive got win 7, want to clean install the 64 bit … any help appreciated, ive got win 7, want to clean install the 64 bit version, ive moved all program files and program data from one partition to an empty one, anything else i need to to - ive done all my music, itunes, photos etc as well

backup email accounts / messages if stored offline

user/appdata folder too.

Fresh install.

Banned

get an external HDD if possible. most useful bit of kit I;ve bought this year.
paid about £40 for a 320gb one. great for regular backups too.

Banned

oh, I see you have one. Just copy all the drive completely in case you do miss something.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50448
    2. Win a gorgeous bundle of fair trade toys from Best Years, worth £100 @ Netm…10
    3. hello fashion mag/jigsaw comp - win £1,000 to spend INSTORE at jigsaw88
    4. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…55

See more discussions