Windows 7 keys on eBay - are they legit?

16 replies
Found 8th Nov 2009
I've seen people selling just the product keys for Windows 7 for less than £20. They advertise them as not a trial key, 100% legitimate and authentic, and say they will pass the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA).

Anyone know if these are OK to use? Sounds too good to be true if you ask me.

15 Comments

Get one, if it doesnt work, get your money back.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6814899

Get one, if it doesnt work, get your money back.

but I might suddenly lose everything if MS deem it as illegitimate?

I'm sure the keys will work, but I'm thinking if they are volume licensing ones or cracked or whatever they might not work in the future. PayPal probably won't give me a refund a few months down the line then.

flyingflea;6814906

but I might suddenly lose everything if MS deem it as illegitimate?

You wont loose anything.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6814916

You wont loose anything.

I wonder how they're so cheap then

flyingflea;6814958

I wonder how they're so cheap then

Maybe upgrade versions that have been bought from oems.

Original Poster

the porter;6815052

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.avforums.com/forums/windows-7/1097467-windows-7-keys-ebay.html&ei=zxf2Svn9IcuC4QadpvjZAw&sa=X&oi=forum_cluster&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=3&ved=0CAsQrAIoAjAA&usg=AFQjCNGWkkoF03EpyTP_3qL7hOcNMuqi_Q

MSDN/Technet or volume licenses... so only a matter of time before they stop working

flyingflea;6815083

MSDN/Technet or volume licenses... so only a matter of time before they … MSDN/Technet or volume licenses... so only a matter of time before they stop working

not necessarily.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6815086

not necessary.

Yeah who knows but I'm not gonna take the risk. I'll wait till I see a cheap Windows 7 deal going.

Read the feedback on the seller, looks good to me
also the feedback on the actual listings good as well

Highest Recommendation: genuine activiation key, super communications & support! ( 212) 08-Nov-09 00:30

First class seller. Well pleased with the transaction. Thanks very much. Buyer: 07-Nov-09 23:42

fantastic worked PASSED all tests i used windows product update tool to validate 07-Nov-09 19:22

Original Poster

karenhornby;6815117

Read the feedback on the seller, looks good to mealso the feedback on the … Read the feedback on the seller, looks good to mealso the feedback on the actual listings good as well Highest Recommendation: genuine activiation key, super communications & support! ( 212) 08-Nov-09 00:30 First class seller. Well pleased with the transaction. Thanks very much. Buyer: 07-Nov-09 23:42 fantastic worked PASSED all tests i used windows product update tool to validate 07-Nov-09 19:22

Yeah I don't doubt they'll work when you install and validate Windows. Question is whether it will still work a few months down the line when other people have validated the same product key or if the seller's MSDN account is purged.

while temptiing, im not sure if microsoft will do the xbox and ban them down the line. No doubt microsoft will be able to realise this is happening. How they will do that... im not sure, probably ban the whole network if they find out one guy is not using it legitimately. I think it may b unlikely though due to the nature of how it is installed and the way of distribution, unless they decide to turn everythin off - which i highly doubt.

Banned

there isn't a way for MS to know which MSDN keys have been sold on. the account isn't tied to a computer.

if you want it then go fer it

sevenforums.com/gen…tml

check post 7
though this could be just this seller. Also you might see that some sellers have all positives but this is likely due to the buyers giving them it minutes after activation - who knows down the line?

also a bit more research suggests that this has happened before with Vista and the ban hammer did come down. Plus its illegal, so why take this half-bridged route?

Original Poster

Artonox;6815267

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/31575-hmm-why-so-cheap.html#post328945check post 7though this could be just this selleralso a bit more research suggests that this has happened before with Vista and the ban hammer did come down. Plus its illegal, so why take this half-bridged route?

Yeah the sellers I'm looking at all have good feedback and guarantee that it will activate. Think that guy was selling beta keys or keys that would not activate.

When I do Windows re-installs on customer machines, I always paste the product key into Google before formatting. It's the quickest way of seeing if it's a hooky copy.

If you're willing to spend £20 then you might as well find a student who isn't fussed about windows 7 and ask them to get the £30 deal for you. May not 'technically' be within the licence terms but at least it's legit and won't get blocked down the line.
At least MS is getting the cash that way and not some dodgy MSDN technet subscriber trying to flog the volume licence keys.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Google maps on Plusnet45
    2. Is this expensive?1017
    3. £300 for a XZ1 Compact Worth Keeping or return56
    4. I posted a deal that has been removed612

See more discussions