Groups

Windows 7 Partition Help

Ok heads in bits with this one im just getting the gist of windows 7 so i fancied a fresh wipe. Installed my copy of 7 on my computer i have 2 partitions one is sata for the windows 7 and one is an internal hard drive 1TB now im struggling to get it to use the 1TB As the main drive for example i cant drag anything from my external to my pc desktop as it says my memory is low due to it trying to by default store the stuff on the 30GB Drive. i was told that it makes the computer run a lot faster if i keep the drives seperate (one for windows and one for storage. any help guys?

13 Comments

Can you post a picture similar to this to explain your situation?

http://www.lytebyte.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/disk-management-in-vista1.jpg

If you dont know how to get to these pages (disk management) you can find out more here

Original Poster

Lazy way is to get it to unplug all but the 1tb. What motherboard are you using, sometimes you need to load additional drivers after putting the windows DVD in to get the installation sequence to detect the drive. (Edit: okay I read it as you wanted to install windows on it).

To make the file swap go to the 1tb drive, right click my computer, click advanced system settings, select advanced tab, click settings under performance - go to advanced tab, click change. Click no paging file, then select the 1tb drive, select custom size, and type in a nice figure in initial and maximum size, say 4219mb in both. Click ok on everything and reboot.
    Edited by: "anewman" 19th Feb 2011

Right, so you have installed to your 30GB drive but its too small?

Did you do this on purpose? Is it an SSD or something?

Original Poster

PhearFactor

Right, so you have installed to your 30GB drive but its too small?Did you … Right, so you have installed to your 30GB drive but its too small?Did you do this on purpose? Is it an SSD or something?

no its an ocz-onyx ata internal that i installed windows 7 to

Right so it is an SSD, can you show us a picture of the message/error "my memory is low" that you talked about in the original post?

Original Poster

PhearFactor

Right so it is an SSD, can you show us a picture of the message/error "my … Right so it is an SSD, can you show us a picture of the message/error "my memory is low" that you talked about in the original post?

it just says there is not enough disc space on desktop. you will need an additional 11.2GB

in a box

Can you give us the spec. of the rest of the machine. How much memory in particular (2GB/4GB etc)?

Also have you changed the virtual memory setting at all?

Edit: Is the message popping up all the time, as soon as you start windows or when you try to do something, launch a program?
    Edited by: "PhearFactor" 19th Feb 2011

Original Poster

PhearFactor

Can you give us the spec. of the rest of the machine. How much memory in … Can you give us the spec. of the rest of the machine. How much memory in particular (2GB/4GB etc)?Also have you changed the virtual memory setting at all?

havent touched a thing mate when installing just created 30GB SSD as the main partition and left the internal hdd unallocated then created a partition with it in windows partition creator

vistax64.com/tut…tml

Have a look here, can you tell me how this is set up? Is it being managed by windows, what are the numbers, etc (minimum/recommended/allocated)?

Should have information for both drives there, C: and D:

Original Poster

my specs fine mate nothing low on it its brand new i have 4 2.00GB RAM Chips installed

Pc Rating is a 5.1 and the only reason its that low is because i got a crappy graphics card due to lack of pc gaming

Try the page file bit I posted above and see what it says. Also, is the message popping up all the time, or is trying to do something (install windows updates for example?)

I am not 100% sure if it could be page file related or not, if there is no page file set then it could cause problems. System Restore related also? Something else you should probably check (using disk space that you would prefer not to be used).

I think it could be just the generic low space warning message, which is something I guess you are going to have to accept because its only a small drive. The message would be caused by updates, software, etc or it could be just one of those early warnings from Windows. You can disable the warning message completely, you can find the guide here.

according to disk management you only have 7GB free on c:, so why are you trying to copy a 12GB file/s to it?

with 8gb of ram windows will create a 12GB swap(page)file so you need to disable your swapfile as explained above, also disable hibernbate as this will be 8GB of disk space used as well.
    in a command prompt type
    powercfg -h off
    then press enter
    also turn off system restore on the c: drive(clear all restore points first), and disable the volume shadow copy service.
    the downside to ssds, they are not straight forward to use at their best.
    Edited by: "maddogb" 19th Feb 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 187 ***1129
      2. Microsoft approve Hyperkin's remake of the OG Xbox controller66
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1881351
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382

See more discussions