Windows 7 reactivation

Found 20th Oct 2017
I've got a dual boot win 7 setup on separate disks(with separate activation codes). Unfortunately one of the disks (on ide) is failing so replacing it with a new sata drive. AFAIK I can reuse the code... but do I have to deactivate the failing disk first, or is ok as Windows will recognise there is only one instance being used?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
Clone old drive to the new drive.
Edited by: "st8mike" 20th Oct 2017
Can't reuse oem serials. Cloning your drive is the fastest, easiest & most simple. Use seagate cloning software, others tend to fail.
mushypeas2541 m ago

Can't reuse oem serials. Cloning your drive is the fastest, easiest & most …Can't reuse oem serials. Cloning your drive is the fastest, easiest & most simple. Use seagate cloning software, others tend to fail.

Thanks I don't know the Seagate software, I'll have a look. As I'd be cloning the drive to a different cable(ide to sata) the boot path will be different.... I'd have to edit the master boot?
If it's the same computer and you're just swapping the disks for a different install of the OS you can reuse the product key no problem you can even use the same product key on both installs because it's physically the same computer (I know because I've done it and this is my preferred way of having multiple OSs on one computer)

You don't have to deactivate your old install but it may ask you to activate by telephone if it thinks you are activating too many times, the fact it's an OEM key doesn't matter you're allowed to reinstall your OS on the same computer HDDs fail Microsoft know that.
redflash24 m ago

If it's the same computer and you're just swapping the disks for a …If it's the same computer and you're just swapping the disks for a different install of the OS you can reuse the product key no problem you can even use the same product key on both installs because it's physically the same computer (I know because I've done it and this is my preferred way of having multiple OSs on one computer)You don't have to deactivate your old install but it may ask you to activate by telephone if it thinks you are activating too many times, the fact it's an OEM key doesn't matter you're allowed to reinstall your OS on the same computer HDDs fail Microsoft know that.

Thanks. I do want to do a fresh install if possible, as it's really slow and not convinced it's just that the drive is dodgy. I did a bit of research before getting another license for dual boot. The impression was you couldn't use the same license on separate drives. Interesting it worked for you. I always did that with XP. I'll try that if I do it again.
Edited by: "GB99" 20th Oct 2017
It will work fine although you may have to call the activation line to get an authorisation code. Its all automated. All instructions will be given when activating on windows.
IF that fails then your best bet is to clone drives, then on new hdd when installed in comp, restore back to factory settings, erase all saved data.
I ended up cloning the drive. The weird thing is it works fine as long as the original drive in on but if I unplug the original I get a blank blue screen after log on and on the bottom right it says this copy of Windows is not genuine 7601. Might just have to reinstall after all?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants