Windows 7 retail to Windows 10 license and activation.

Found 9th Aug 2017Edited by:"paulj48"
I bought a full retail version of Windows 7 home (32 and 64 bit) quite a few years ago, I had this on a old PC that was hardly used in the house (as I'm a MAC user), I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 around 18 month's ago.

I initially got the retail version of Windows as I knew I could activate it as many times as I wanted on multiple PC's (only 1 at a time) and its was on a good deal from here way back.

I'm now planning on building gaming PC for my son for Christmas, can I still use my retail version of Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10 (obviously the old PC will be scrapped) or have I 'surrendered' my Windows 7 license when I performed the upgrade?
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
No, you just need to install windows 10 on the new pc and use the old serial. It should register and let you activate it over the telephone line. This is the hard way.

answers.microsoft.com/en-…a8f

The easy way is you can just rip out your old hdd and install it in the new pc for speed. This should boot and allow you to register the hardware as above, then you just reinstall off a memory stick. This helps if you have a 32bit OS and are swapping to a 64bit.

I ripped the HD out of my atom n270 netbook and plugged it into a g2020 computer.
Your win7 key will activate win10 on your new device.
Original Poster
Cheers guys, how do I get a legitimate clean copy of a retailWindows 10 though?
paulj488 m ago

Cheers guys, how do I get a legitimate clean copy of a retailWindows 10 …Cheers guys, how do I get a legitimate clean copy of a retailWindows 10 though?

Your windows 7 home key was converted into a windows 10 home key so this key is a retail windows 10 key. These keys are registered to their hardware but you can transfer the licence by notifying Microsoft.

Just plug your old hard drive into the new PC and do the phone thing, it's a one off thing. Then put the new hard drive in and it reinstall windows and you will won't need a key as it's linked to the hardware.
If you want a 2nd key then you will have to buy a new one.
Create Windows 10 installation media. You can burn it onto DVD or make a bootable copy on USB. On your new machine press F12 to choose one time boot option (select USB or DVD), then install Win10 with your Win7 key.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 9th Aug 2017
Original Poster
RiverDragon81 h, 28 m ago

Create Windows 10 installation media. You can burn it onto DVD or make a …Create Windows 10 installation media. You can burn it onto DVD or make a bootable copy on USB. On your new machine press F12 to choose one time boot option (select USB or DVD), then install Win10 with your Win7 key.

Cheers, didn't realise you could download the media from Microsoft, I remember ISO's being available on Digital river but they where removed, I presumed they still where'nt available.
If you need to burn ISO on DVD or USB then Youtube it, very simple.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions