Windows 7 Starter: Do I need extra firewall and antivirus?

Found 10th Nov 2010
Hi,
I have just received my new Asus netbook with Windows 7 Starter pre-installed. While it is charging for its first time and I have to wait to play with it I was wondering:

Do I need to install a firewall (Zonealarm?) and an antivirus (antivir?) to make it safe? This is the first time that I use Win7 and on my older PCs with XP And Vista I always installed by own safety stuff. But already with Vista many people claimed that the standard safety was good and sufficient, so I was wondering what the deal with Win7 is.
So anybody in the know with good hints would be very appreciated!

Many thanks
Community Updates
8 Comments
Ive just put avast free edition on my hp mini seems ok doesnt seem to bog it down .

avast requirements requirements

* Processor Pentium 3, 128 MB RAM, 100 MB of free hard disk space
* Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64 bit)
Edited by: "wanderer" 10th Nov 2010
DAMNOME

I would add http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Find out what you need to know about installing and running Microsoft Security Essentials.
Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7

* For Windows XP, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 500 MHz or higher, and 256 MB RAM or higher.
* For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with a CPU clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher, and 1 GB RAM or higher.
* VGA display of 800 × 600 or higher.
* 140 MB of available hard disk space.
* An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials.
* Internet Browser:
o Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later.
o Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later.
* Microsoft Security Essentials also supports Windows XP Mode in Windows 7. For more information, see the system requirements for Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

seems to require alot of resources have you tried it on a netbook
Unless you do lots of risky things on the internet I would use the Firewall that comes with Windows 7.
Thanks, the MS security essentials look interesting. But indeed might be resource heavy, my notbook only has 1GB ram...
Edited by: "MarvinHC" 10th Nov 2010
DAMNOME

I would add http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

^^ Best anti virus i have used doesn't slow down your pc and gives excellent protection
I'd go with MS Security Essentials + the built in firewall. Don't bother with Zonealarm, it's overkill and will bug you with alerts.
OK, I am reassured now, security essentials it is, thanks a lot all!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants