Groups
    EXPIRED

Windows 7 - Student price

Hello folks, me again.

Another query. I remember seeing numerous posts about where Windows 7 could be purchased from on the cheap for students. Can anyone point me in the direction of some of the places that do it?

Looking to pick up 2 copies of Win 7 Pro/Ultimate 32bit to do clean installs.

I am actually a student, so it's all good. Rep left accordingly

I already have Win 7 installed but I got that for free from the uni's MSDNAA, I want the other copies for our other computer and for the missus.

7 Comments

Original Poster

I'm aware of this one:

hotukdeals.com/ite…bit

But not entirely sure if it is for clean installs or upgrades only.

*edit* Looks like it might be ok for clean install, but still want to see if there's anywhere else I can get it from

Heres another one...
    microsoft.com/uk/…er/

ROFL! Need to pay an extra £9 to actually have the disk? You're having a laugh M$...

Still looking though

£30 here: ]http//ww…er/

It says upgrade edition, but theres probably a way around it.

There are ways around the upgrade edition, search google, i remember seeing it on something like mydigitallife.com ?
    Otherwise student editions will jsut be £30

Software4Students : ]http//ww…spx

I've seen these hacks allowing clean installs of upgrade version. But I'm not convinced this method is futureproof. Has anyone seen full version available at a student price.

Original Poster

mudddy;6750506

I've seen these hacks allowing clean installs of upgrade version. But I'm … I've seen these hacks allowing clean installs of upgrade version. But I'm not convinced this method is futureproof. Has anyone seen full version available at a student price.

This is what I'm after... This whole "upgrade" idea is complete and total BS in my opinion. I want to pay for the licence to use Windows 7 - Not have to have paid for a licence for a previous version and then pay more to upgrade that.

Even though I already have the aforementioned licences... (Not ultimate though, which makes it a bit of a swearie)

Original Poster

Yes as I thought: (From software4students)

"This version of Windows 7 ships as an upgrade edition. It is NOT possible or permitted to perform a clean install with this product. You must have an existing valid Windows operating system on your hard disk. All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard."

Complete toss. Yes I know it is possible to clean install (Although the next point says: "You must have an existing valid Windows operating system on your hard disk" - Every PC (almost) does, or at least has the key to a windows OS, so surely it's legit for anyone?)

UGH! Make it easy for me.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944533
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927371
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1947
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767359

See more discussions