Groups

Windows 7 Techie Help Please

Hi Guys

I bought a Dell PC with WIndows 7 Home Premium installed. I set it up last night and put in a username and password etc. I then changed the settings in account credentials so that it doesn't ask me for username & password when I turn the computer on.

Problem is that when I try and install any software or access certain things in control panel it says please enter an admin password to continue. There is no space to enter a password and typing the password I set up with the computer doesn't work.

I've searched and searched forums but can't find anything so wondered if the knowledgable people on HUKD know anything. Basically I can't access anything that requires admin priviledges.

22 Comments

Have you tried not typing anything and just clicking ok or pressing enter ?.

Original Poster

there is no box to type a password and the okay/yes button is blanked out so I can't press it

Banned

why put in a username / password if you then change it to stop asking for it on boot?

just reduce UAC down under change usrer account controls settings

Original Poster

I had to set a username & p/w in when I turned the PC on for the first time, I think this just applies to my account that I am using, I think there might be a hidden admin account but I cannot access it

Banned

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk173/csiman2/ScreenShot024.jpg

Banned

dave_lunt2;6923721

I had to set a username & p/w in when I turned the PC on for the first … I had to set a username & p/w in when I turned the PC on for the first time, I think this just applies to my account that I am using, I think there might be a hidden admin account but I cannot access it

that doesnt sound right at all. I just have 1 user account (administrator)

Start the Pc and press either F5 or F8, log on as Administrator - most don't have passwords, and set it up in user accounts that way. (found this on the web - may help)

csiman;6923732

that doesnt sound right at all. I just have 1 user account (administrator)

Mine is the same for some reason ,Had to take control of a HDD and it created a Admin account and now when i log on there are 2 accounts to choose from,

Original Poster

hi csiman, thanks for you help but it won't let me access anything with the little yellow & blue shield like in the screen shot you posted

R1DER when I press F8 I can boot in safe mode but it just logs me automatically into this silly account with no admin, how do I get to log in as administrator

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6923763

Mine is the same for some reason ,Had to take control of a HDD and it … Mine is the same for some reason ,Had to take control of a HDD and it created a Admin account and now when i log on there are 2 accounts to choose from,

how did you do this Tony, did you have a similar problem to me?

Go to control panel
    User accounts and family safety
    User accounts
    Manage another account
    Do you see another account that is called
    Administrator/administrator /

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6923801

Go to control panelUser accounts and family safetyUser accountsManage … Go to control panelUser accounts and family safetyUser accountsManage another accountDo you see another account that is called Administrator/administrator /

no just one account there

Banned

so under user accounts, it wont let you access CHANGE ACCOUNT TYPE?

if not, then I would cut your losses and reinstall a clean version of windows (after a quick format)

dave_lunt2;6923822

Sorry no help then, I am reinstallig windows anyway so never bothered me ,
    Have you tried changing UAC settings ?.
    control panel
    User accounts and family safety
    User accounts
    Change user accounts control settings
    Move the slider down ,

Original Poster

csiman;6923855

so under user accounts, it wont let you access CHANGE ACCOUNT TYPE?if … so under user accounts, it wont let you access CHANGE ACCOUNT TYPE?if not, then I would cut your losses and reinstall a clean version of windows (after a quick format)

yeah think that may be the best bet, will it take long to reinstall windows? I might try the Dell PC restore thing which will restore the PC to factory settings but fear this will ask for a password too

dave_lunt2;6923822

Is your account administrator ?.

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6923871

Is your account administrator ?.

i think i found it, it says guest account so obviously won't have admin but at a loss what to do.

Guess I'll have to install windows a fresh, how long does this take?

Banned

dave_lunt2;6924042

i think i found it, it says guest account so obviously won't have admin … i think i found it, it says guest account so obviously won't have admin but at a loss what to do. Guess I'll have to install windows a fresh, how long does this take?

about 40 minutes

and dont reinstall from dell factory settings as they pile tonnes of junk in their defaults! format and do a clean install from win7 disk

and dont put any password in ;-)

Original Poster

csiman;6924172

about 40 minutesand dont reinstall from dell factory settings as they … about 40 minutesand dont reinstall from dell factory settings as they pile tonnes of junk in their defaults! format and do a clean install from win7 diskand dont put any password in ;-)

cheers csiman, i'll give that a go, will win7 be on one of the discs that came with the PC?

Banned

dave_lunt2;6924291

cheers csiman, i'll give that a go, will win7 be on one of the discs that … cheers csiman, i'll give that a go, will win7 be on one of the discs that came with the PC?

dunno if dell issue disks. it'll be obvious if they do

will probably have windows7 installation disk written on it

Banned

Go to "Start > run > type: "Control UserPasswords2"
    all the accounts will be displayed here. if the admin account is not password protected, highlight it and click on properties. see what that admin is giving some previleges to guest accounts. mostly, admin controls the usage of the PC for guest accounts to not "download, install, run" any application or programs. reset the setting if you like. or else, give your account the same power as admin account. always restart PC after making some changes to apply the changes you made.

You might have to boot in safe mode in administrator and do it that way...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Jaffa quake as McVitie's cuts pack sizes - BBC News11
      2. What a bunch of brassed necked barstewards914
      3. Feels weird!922
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563821

See more discussions