Groups

Windows 7 to ship without Internet Explorer in Europe

About time it didn't come bungled with with windows, now all they need to do is make WMP an optional install too!

19 Comments

Original Poster

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Does raise the question though without a browser how do you get online to download one?

?Yeah I know, download it from another pc onto removable media, but its still an odd concept and anyone buying a pc for the first time will be stumped!

This is why the EU can go to hell. When I install an operating system, I want it to do everyting for me, straight away. I don't want to have to spend hours downloading applications to do all the stuff. I want what Linux has, so I can just install the OS, and all the other stuff, lke DVD burning tools, the media player, the office apps, web browser, Adobe Reader, MSN Messenger and all that srot of stuff comes preloaded. It makes life so much easier.

About downloading IE btw, it'll probably be available either via Windows Update or through a start menu link, as MS already have to do for MSN Messenger.

harlzter;5472678

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stmDoes raise the question … http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8096701.stmDoes raise the question though without a browser how do you get online to download one??Yeah I know, download it from another pc onto removable media, but its still an odd concept and anyone buying a pc for the first time will be stumped!

You don't need an Internet Browser to access the Internet. All MS have to do is add a link to download it.

crazy move by the EU, i prefer firefox, but your average joe (99% of people) will be confused by this

so is the EU , making apple remove safari??

dxx;5472747

This is why the EU can go to hell. When I install an operating system, I … This is why the EU can go to hell. When I install an operating system, I want it to do everyting for me, straight away. I don't want to have to spend hours downloading applications to do all the stuff. I want what Linux has, so I can just install the OS, and all the other stuff, lke DVD burning tools, the media player, the office apps, web browser, Adobe Reader, MSN Messenger and all that srot of stuff comes preloaded. It makes life so much easier. About downloading IE btw, it'll probably be available either via Windows Update or through a start menu link, as MS already have to do for MSN Messenger.

I agree. What the hell is wrong with a company providing free software? Are they going to make Ford stop providing a radio with their cars? Nuts.

Xb0xGuru;5472753

You don't need an Internet Browser to access the Internet. All MS have to … You don't need an Internet Browser to access the Internet. All MS have to do is add a link to download it.

A link in what?

Banned

thought it was to do with anti trust issues according to ms

thats what i read yesterday

harlzter;5472678

About time it didn't come bungled with with windows, now all they need to … About time it didn't come bungled with with windows, now all they need to do is make WMP an optional install too!

Did you really mean 'bungled'? ;-) It isn't that bad!

Afterburner;5472849

A link in what?

Anything - a desktop link to start a mini-app for downloading it. There are a ton more protocols out there than just http

Xb0xGuru;5472868

Anything - a desktop link to start a mini-app for downloading it. There … Anything - a desktop link to start a mini-app for downloading it. There are a ton more protocols out there than just http

Oh OK. I suppose they could use Windows Explorer to use anonymous FTP, but they'd have to set it up for everyone and no doubt p*ss off the EU again.

The sooner that lunatic edifice is torn down the better.

Banned

It will only be one version! like the stupid versions without media player.

No one will buy it, but no one will care either - other versions are available

Balb0wa;5472771

crazy move by the EU, i prefer firefox, but your average joe (99% of … crazy move by the EU, i prefer firefox, but your average joe (99% of people) will be confused by this

Firefox is pretty, but very slow to load. The only reason I use it is to stream YouTube videos and the like to my HDD.

Original Poster

I cant stand either WMP or IE, I wish there was a decent option to uninstall them.

Afterburner;5472905

Oh OK. I suppose they could use Windows Explorer to use anonymous FTP, … Oh OK. I suppose they could use Windows Explorer to use anonymous FTP, but they'd have to set it up for everyone and no doubt p*ss off the EU again.The sooner that lunatic edifice is torn down the better.

They wouldn't even need to use anonymous FTP - based on validation, the system can generate a public key based on the embedded private key within the OS.

The issue here isn't really that Windows ships with IE, more the case it's impossible to remove it. It's embedded into the Operating System.

Balb0wa;5472779

so is the EU , making apple remove safari??

Different situation, can't remember exact details but its to do with the OS being 'Unique' to Apple Hardware.

this is ludicrous (sp?) as the "noobs" who buy a new pc from pc world etc will have no idea how to get online (99% rely on IE to get them online)

okay i can see why the eu don't want ie packaged with it but ffs it helps "noobs" get the pc running without trying to download apps, and anyway firefox and safari are taking ie's percentage of the browser market

Banned

you are all crazy if you think noone will be able to get online ffs

faevilangel;5473106

this is ludicrous (sp?) as the "noobs" who buy a new pc from pc world etc … this is ludicrous (sp?) as the "noobs" who buy a new pc from pc world etc will have no idea how to get online (99% rely on IE to get them online) okay i can see why the eu don't want ie packaged with it but ffs it helps "noobs" get the pc running without trying to download apps, and anyway firefox and safari are taking ie's percentage of the browser market

Surely they just need to have it as an optionally installed component which is selected by default. The big issue is that it's bundled/embedded/integrated (whatever you want to call it). As long as you can remove it, the EU should be happy.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?25115
      2. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam78
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891616
      4. Sad news about Barcelona24106

See more discussions