Windows 7 updates causing chaos!

Found 3rd Aug
Hi,

I'm trying to resurrect my very old Acer 5560g and my first port of call is to update it

I tried to upgrade to windows 10 but it just got stuck at 81% so then I tried to update my Windows 7, it came back with 28 updates, I downloaded and installed said updates and my laptop then got to the windows logo and kept turning itself off

I've since gone back using a system restore point but I still don't have an updated laptop

I haven't updated anything for a while so there may be other things that need doing that I'm not aware of

Any ideas of how to overcome this problem? I'm trying to upgrade my HDD to SDD and I know Windows 7 will be obsolete in 2020 but I thought it was worth £25 to upgrade it until then

Also, does anyone know of a free safe software for cloning my hdd to sdd?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Hi
can you not download Windows 10 onto a USB stick and load it off there,thats how i have done it in the past. Not a clue on cloning sorry.
moulican1 h, 49 m ago

Hi can you not download Windows 10 onto a USB stick and load it off …Hi can you not download Windows 10 onto a USB stick and load it off there,thats how i have done it in the past. Not a clue on cloning sorry.

I don't have a USB stick, I prefer windows 7 anyway but if I can't get it to update windows 7 without killing my laptop I may buy a usb stick and try the upgrade again, apparently Acer's are prone to upgrade issues though
A lot of problems like this are just down to faulty hardware these days.

I wouldn't mess about with it, just wipe it and reinstall windows. If it's still misbehaving after that it's definitely faulty hardware and needs binning.
EndlessWaves9 m ago

A lot of problems like this are just down to faulty hardware these days. I …A lot of problems like this are just down to faulty hardware these days. I wouldn't mess about with it, just wipe it and reinstall windows. If it's still misbehaving after that it's definitely faulty hardware and needs binning.

Hi, I have a legit copy of Windows 7 home premium on the laptop but no disk and the product key which was on a sticker can't be seen anymore , will I be able to reinstall windows without the disk? If so, how? Thanks
You could purchase a product key £16 on a quick search and then download it.
Gooosee3rd Aug

Hi, I have a legit copy of Windows 7 home premium on the laptop but no …Hi, I have a legit copy of Windows 7 home premium on the laptop but no disk and the product key which was on a sticker can't be seen anymore , will I be able to reinstall windows without the disk? If so, how? Thanks

The copy of Windows 7 you have on the laptop is it the original version supplied with laptop? If it is when you power on laptop keep tapping F8, then press Repair your Computer this should bring you to the recovery page.

If above doesn’t work I believe you can access it by tapping ALT+F10 to take you to recovery.
moulican3 h, 25 m ago

You could purchase a product key £16 on a quick search and then download …You could purchase a product key £16 on a quick search and then download it.

Don't do that. Microsoft stopped sales years ago and key sellers aren't choosy about where they get the keys.

There are plenty of utilities that'll allow you to read the key from your current install, for example:
nirsoft.net/uti…tml

Microsoft offers the Windows 7 installer for download these days. You may also want to investigate whether Windows 10 is compatible as the installer for that will accept Windows 7 keys.

microsoft.com/en-…ws7
Yes it is
pricesavvy3rd Aug

The copy of Windows 7 you have on the laptop is it the original version …The copy of Windows 7 you have on the laptop is it the original version supplied with laptop? If it is when you power on laptop keep tapping F8, then press Repair your Computer this should bring you to the recovery page. If above doesn’t work I believe you can access it by tapping ALT+F10 to take you to recovery.

Yes it is, I will try this first, thanks
EndlessWaves3rd Aug

Don't do that. Microsoft stopped sales years ago and key sellers aren't …Don't do that. Microsoft stopped sales years ago and key sellers aren't choosy about where they get the keys.There are plenty of utilities that'll allow you to read the key from your current install, for example:https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.htmlMicrosoft offers the Windows 7 installer for download these days. You may also want to investigate whether Windows 10 is compatible as the installer for that will accept Windows 7 keys.https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

I will try this after trying from start up, thanks I tried to install Windows 10 through upgrade as i'd reserved it but not installed ages ago and it just stalled at 81% and didn't work
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions