Windows 7 Upgrade - Can I use Product Key from Full Version?

Found 3rd Oct 2010
Hey. I currently have an un-opened full version of Windows 7 Home Premium which I was going to use on my Home Computer, however I have just purchased a little netbook which comes with Windows 7 'Starter'. Does anyone know if I can use the serial number / product key off the full version disk I already have, to upgrade from the Windows 7 Starter pre-installed on my netbook? Or will this not be valid, and I will have to buy an 'upgrade key' from microsoft.

I did do a search for this online, but I couldn't find a website that directly answered the question I have.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help a confused computer user

5 Comments

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Why does it matter? Just do a clean install.

I really don't want to do a clean install, if I can just enter a product key. Im not good with computers and I will have to find and install all the drivers. This just confuses me.

Banned

try it and see, it will revert back to starter if key invalid

windows should have no problem locating the correct drivers for a little netbook anyway

Original Poster

simplyjimbo

i did an anytime upgrade and used a spare WIN 7 serial I … i did an anytime upgrade and used a spare WIN 7 serial I hadhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade

Thanks for your help

Banned

yes it will work %windir%\system32\WindowsAnytimeUpgradeUI.exe
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. SKY Q - Retentions - 18 month contract - 18 month deal79
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771945
    3. Ashes thread(prizes)11
    4. Is Black Friday a big con!2028

See more discussions