Groups

Windows 7 Upgrade Compatibility Matrix ?

Quick question if you buy Windows 7 Upgrade.

Which operating system can you upgrade from ?

I believe if you are intalling Windows 7 you can not upgrade from Windows XP.

Or it can even get more complicated like if you have Windows Vista Home can you upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or are you only allow to upgrade to Windows 7 Proffesional? or like for like.

Ideally they should tell you which version you need to have.

What if I have Windows 95, 98, Me, etc can I just buy the Upgrade.

I have search the web and could not find an UPGRADE compatibility Matrix?

8 Comments

Windows 7 is designed as an upgrade for Vista. However you can do a full install if you have an earlier version of Windows. MS advice is to run their upgrade advisor:

microsoft.com/win…spx

dont forget if you know a student with an ac.uk email account you can get windows 7 pro upgrade for £30

Basically:

-Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional etc can upgrade to their corresponding 7 editions;
    -however, any Vista install can upgrade cleanly to 7 Ultimate;
    -XP and before requires a fresh install.

Hope that helps

dregan;6514542

Basically:-Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional etc can upgrade … Basically:-Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional etc can upgrade to their corresponding 7 editions;-however, any Vista install can upgrade cleanly to 7 Ultimate;-XP and before requires a fresh install.Hope that helps

There is not a Home Basic in Windows 7 (not in the UK anyway)

There is not a Vista Professional, it is called Vista Business (now called Professional in Windows 7)

Here is the (complex) upgrade chart Microsoft put out

symantec.com/con…s-7

Original Poster

guilbert53;6514754

Here is the (complex) upgrade chart Microsoft put … Here is the (complex) upgrade chart Microsoft put outhttp://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/windows-7-chart-upgrading-your-pc-windows-7

Thanks that what I was after :thumbsup:

It looks like for me I have to go for a clean install :-( I have Vista Premiun 64bit and I would like to go for Professional.

guilbert53;6514691

There is not a Home Basic in Windows 7 (not in the UK anyway)There is not … There is not a Home Basic in Windows 7 (not in the UK anyway)There is not a Vista Professional, it is called Vista Business (now called Professional in Windows 7).

Oh of course, I was thinking of XP Pro. Ah well.

I have Vista, but i think its better doing a clean install ?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I have 2 spare netflix slots and a spotify share.513
      2. One for the mathmeticians2539
      3. Cat Chat77744
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047177

See more discussions