Groups

Windows 7 wireless advice needed

Hey there, am running Windows 7 and connecting wirelessly to my router, which works fine, however every so often i'll come back to my machine and notice it's being slow, for some reason it will be connected to another network, obviously the person next door to me has an unsecured network which it is attaching itself too, this wouldn't be a problem but her speed is rubbish!!

How can i stop it from automatically connecting to her network?

12 Comments

tut tut tut

How can i stop it from automatically connecting to her network

tell her that her conection is unprotected for a start!

i cant remember how but im sure you can stop your pc/laptop from detecting wifi conections, i think its when you scan for new conections you highlight the one you dont wont and click dont show this conectiion, im at work so i cant check mine.

Banned

jambo1082;5887546

tell her that her conection is unprotected for a start!i cant remember … tell her that her conection is unprotected for a start!i cant remember how but im sure you can stop your pc/laptop from detecting wifi conections, i think its when you scan for new conections you highlight the one you dont wont and click dont show this conectiion, im at work so i cant check mine.

Your right you can be selective to stop this happening :thumbsup::thumbsup::santa:

make your connection the default connection

Original Poster

akme;5887476

tut tut tut

I don't think you understand, i don't want to use her network!!!

When i right click on my connection, go to properties, I get these options

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/sancho_1983/Capture.jpg

In the Network and Sharing centre i can't see any options to make it default.

If i connect to the other network and right click there's no 'properties' for me to disable it.

one question, how are you even running windows 7 when it isn't released to the public until October ... ?

Original Poster

using the Release Candidate, as are millions of other people since about June when it was released.

microsoft.com/win…spx

You should check it out, it's amazing!!

Original Poster

anybody got any ideas?

danny09;5889328

one question, how are you even running windows 7 when it isn't released … one question, how are you even running windows 7 when it isn't released to the public until October ... ?

lol
    been available for a good few months now.

just remove your neighbours connection profile, at some point you have conencted to it and ticked the Conect Automatically on it hence the roaming tendency, presumably when for some reason its signal is stronger than your router

Original Poster

How do i do that? When i go to manage wireless connections only my one shows up

Sorry for the noobish questions!

Hers is always at 'fair', so i think my router drops every so often, hence hers is stronger

Original Poster

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu79/sancho_1983/Untitled.png

The one on the right shows the ones i can connect to, but the 'managing wireless connection' only shows my BeBox :?:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work12
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3571360
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1330
      4. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…2073

See more discussions