Windows 7 won't start. Help!

Found 29th May 2017
My samsung laptop is stuck on start as it states that windows can not start due to a problem which may be caused by updates. It starts samsung recovery but that has been running for 24 hours and still nothing.

I tried to start windows in safe mode but still end up with the same message after choosing start windows with networking in safe mode.

Help guys. What can I do next?

36 Comments

Try using Windows 10.

I had this recently with a customers laptop and needed to use hiren's boot disc to repair it. safe mode would not work, malwarebytes and system restore enabled me access back into to windows. however all problems are different and all require different solutions, but hiren's does offer many tools for repairing issues.

On the screen where you select safe mode is there a option of "start windows in last known good configuration" or similar.

try starting in basic safe mode, if it works, from desktop roll back to a system restore point before the update/problem occurred.

I had this recently, ended up losing everything and doing a full OS refresh. It was a registry problem.

Original Poster

mfactor2 h, 36 m ago

On the screen where you select safe mode is there a option of "start …On the screen where you select safe mode is there a option of "start windows in last known good configuration" or similar.

have tried this reading your reply but same issue.

Original Poster

123mark1232 h, 39 m ago

I had this recently with a customers laptop and needed to use hiren's boot …I had this recently with a customers laptop and needed to use hiren's boot disc to repair it. safe mode would not work, malwarebytes and system restore enabled me access back into to windows. however all problems are different and all require different solutions, but hiren's does offer many tools for repairing issues.

i can download malwarebyte to a memory stick and run it on the laptop. i have done this before and it resolved a blue screen problem.

i can't remember how i did it though. how do i run malwarebyte through safe mode? through the c prompt and run malwarebyte.exe command?

Original Poster

Yeomanroach1 h, 36 m ago

I had this recently, ended up losing everything and doing a full OS …I had this recently, ended up losing everything and doing a full OS refresh. It was a registry problem.

i may have to do this. i still got all the original windows disks so i can do a full install. can i just put the original disk into the DVD reader and it will do the re-install automatically? there is an excel file that i need from the hard disk, is there any way i can retrieve this excel file before the whole hard drive gets wiped out or will the re-install leave all the stored files intact?

It definitely sounds like registry issues you are facing. If you have downloaded hirens as previously mentioned. You can boot to mini xp and then back up your data if you have any, then reinstall windows, by tapping F4 when bios splash screen appears. If you cannot reinstall windows this way then you may have a faulty hard drive. To eliminate this I would probably try running chkdsk on both c drive (windows) and d drive (recovery). Hope it helps.

Original Poster

pricesavvy1 h, 49 m ago

It definitely sounds like registry issues you are facing. If you have …It definitely sounds like registry issues you are facing. If you have downloaded hirens as previously mentioned. You can boot to mini xp and then back up your data if you have any, then reinstall windows, by tapping F4 when bios splash screen appears. If you cannot reinstall windows this way then you may have a faulty hard drive. To eliminate this I would probably try running chkdsk on both c drive (windows) and d drive (recovery). Hope it helps.

i can download hirens to a memory stick but how do i boot to mini xp?

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

scroll down the page till you see this below :-

Filename: Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip
Filesize: 592.5 MB (621283886 bytes)
ISO MD5: 7EFC81ADBBD551D56F6021C439C6837C
ZIP MD5: D342BBD6BF7554ABA24A376E41675DBF

click on the zip file to download, then use imgburn from a good source, add the hirens boot to the imgburn program using another laptop/computer, run hirens from the cd drive/usb drive, run the option that says mini xp, this will bring you to a desktop environment, then open up malwarebytes, scan disc tools etc and I believe there is a option to use system restore from there, if not most laptops come with a recovery partition or tools built in to repair the registry etc..

what is the model number of your laptop? as there may be a key like f10/ f12 that gets you to the build in tools for the laptop?

hope this helps, description was a little rushed therefore please excuse any steps/grammer I may of missed.

one more this too add is within the mini windows xp open up explorer to view your files, click on the drive then has your windows on and look for the folder then says users, open that folder and you be presented with your user name of which you named when you set up windows, within that folder all your personal files are stored therefore no need to loose anything, from there you can use a portable harddrive/ flashdrive to backup any files needed only as a last resort.

kind regards mark

Edited by: "123mark123" 29th May 2017

Original Poster

123mark12314 m ago

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/scroll down the page till you see …http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/scroll down the page till you see this below :-Filename: Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zipFilesize: 592.5 MB (621283886 bytes)ISO MD5: 7EFC81ADBBD551D56F6021C439C6837CZIP MD5: D342BBD6BF7554ABA24A376E41675DBFclick on the zip file to download, then use imgburn from a good source, add the hirens boot to the imgburn program using another laptop/computer, run hirens from the cd drive/usb drive, run the option that says mini xp, this will bring you to a desktop environment, then open up malwarebytes, scan disc tools etc and I believe there is a option to use system restore from there, if not most laptops come with a recovery partition or tools built in to repair the registry etc..what is the model number of your laptop? as there may be a key like f10/ f12 that gets you to the build in tools for the laptop?hope this helps, description was a little rushed therefore please excuse any steps/grammer I may of missed.one more this too add is within the mini windows xp open up explorer to view your files, click on the drive then has your windows on and look for the folder then says users, open that folder and you be presented with your user name of which you named when you set up windows, within that folder all your personal files are stored therefore no need to loose anything, from there you can use a portable harddrive/ flashdrive to backup any files needed only as a last resort.kind regards mark

thanks. i can download the hirens on to a memory stick from another laptop but how do i run it on the faulty samsung? it won't boot in safe mode and so i have no access to any commands, not even the c prompt.

the faulty laptop is samsung R519 and it is running windows 7

mutley1

thanks. i can download the hirens on to a memory stick from another … thanks. i can download the hirens on to a memory stick from another laptop but how do i run it on the faulty samsung? it won't boot in safe mode and so i have no access to any commands, not even the c prompt.the faulty laptop is samsung R519 and it is running windows 7

when you have the hirens cd burned as a img it will automatically boot to a menu and you can use the up/down arrow keys to select the mini xp from the list / I will look for further instructions as you may need to change the boot priority options so it boots from the dvd drive first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/samsung-laptop-r519-restore-help-686154.html

this might help, please let me know how you get on, read all options carefully as this could wipe all files from your laptop if you click on full system restore. there may be an option to restore you computer to an earlier date though.

If it's an update that caused the issue then all you should need to do is select 'Last Known Good Configuration'. You can get to this option by pushing F8 at the BIOS screen, or just after. That should do the trick. Lemme know how you get on.

Original Poster

123mark12315 m ago

when you have the hirens cd burned as a img it will automatically boot to …when you have the hirens cd burned as a img it will automatically boot to a menu and you can use the up/down arrow keys to select the mini xp from the list / I will look for further instructions as you may need to change the boot priority options so it boots from the dvd drive first.http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f108/samsung-laptop-r519-restore-help-686154.htmlthis might help, please let me know how you get on, read all options carefully as this could wipe all files from your laptop if you click on full system restore. there may be an option to restore you computer to an earlier date though.

i have downloaded imgburn but can i burn the hirens on to a memory stick rather than a disc? seems to want me to stick a disc in to burn to.

Original Poster

Tha_Dude9 m ago

If it's an update that caused the issue then all you should need to do is …If it's an update that caused the issue then all you should need to do is select 'Last Known Good Configuration'. You can get to this option by pushing F8 at the BIOS screen, or just after. That should do the trick. Lemme know how you get on.

already done this and still same problem. the laptop thinks it may be caused by an update but it is only guessing. computers nowadays also has opinions. lol.

just a thought, I had issues before where the laptop failed to go into windows, and It turned out to be faulty ram stick as this is ddr2 ram, but most probably registry issues, you can write a img to a flash drive but there is steps to take : -

http://www.wintips.org/how-to-create-hirens-bootcd-usb-disk/

another option if you can get into command prompt is sfc /scannow command instructions below : -

sevenforums.com/tut…tml

Original Poster

123mark12354 m ago

just a thought, I had issues before where the laptop failed to go into …just a thought, I had issues before where the laptop failed to go into windows, and It turned out to be faulty ram stick as this is ddr2 ram, but most probably registry issues, you can write a img to a flash drive but there is steps to take : -http://www.wintips.org/how-to-create-hirens-bootcd-usb-disk/another option if you can get into command prompt is sfc /scannow command instructions below : -https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

so i have hirens on usb. when i boot up the samsung laptop in BIOS, there is no option to boot USB as first device as stated in the instructions?

I'd buy a new hdd and install 7 on that. Then put the original drive in a USB caddy to recover data. Unless you have access to the smart data I wouldn't strike off drive failure.

Original Poster

kester7614 m ago

I'd buy a new hdd and install 7 on that. Then put the original drive in a …I'd buy a new hdd and install 7 on that. Then put the original drive in a USB caddy to recover data. Unless you have access to the smart data I wouldn't strike off drive failure.

i have come to the conclusion that the laptop needs chucking out as it is over 7 years old. i had planned to bin it after 4 years but it kept going so i didn't have the heart to bin it. i just want the files i stored on the hard drive from it.

i got to the boot option and it states

path:\windows\system32\winload.exe
partition 3
hard disk 7a54ffb
[/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN then allows me to type what i want here. ]

anything i can type in to help?
Edited by: "mutley1" 29th May 2017

mutley1

i have come to the conclusion that the laptop needs chucking out as it is … i have come to the conclusion that the laptop needs chucking out as it is over 7 years old. i had planned to bin it after 4 years but it kept going so i didn't have the heart to bin it. i just want the files i stored on the hard drive from it.i got to the boot option and it statespath:\windows\system32\winload.exepartition 3hard disk 7a54ffb[/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN then allows me to type what i want here. ]anything i can type in to help?

best advice is to install hirens on a blank cd if there is no option for usb boot, then go into mini windows xp which will boot directly from the cd/dvd drive, then open windows explorer then choose the windows drive, then users, your user name and within there you will see desktop, documents, videos, etc... basically all your personal files etc.. I could do it , however I live in the south west.

mutley1

i have come to the conclusion that the laptop needs chucking out as it is … i have come to the conclusion that the laptop needs chucking out as it is over 7 years old. i had planned to bin it after 4 years but it kept going so i didn't have the heart to bin it. i just want the files i stored on the hard drive from it.i got to the boot option and it statespath:\windows\system32\winload.exepartition 3hard disk 7a54ffb[/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN then allows me to type what i want here. ]anything i can type in to help?

try holding ctrl and c to cancel the commands and try sfc /scannow command or failing that

best advice is to install hirens on a blank cd if there is no option for usb boot, then go into mini windows xp which will boot directly from the cd/dvd drive, then open windows explorer then choose the windows drive, then users, your user name and within there you will see desktop, documents, videos, etc... basically all your personal files etc.. I could do it , however I live in the south west.

Original Poster

123mark12319 m ago

best advice is to install hirens on a blank cd if there is no option for …best advice is to install hirens on a blank cd if there is no option for usb boot, then go into mini windows xp which will boot directly from the cd/dvd drive, then open windows explorer then choose the windows drive, then users, your user name and within there you will see desktop, documents, videos, etc... basically all your personal files etc.. I could do it , however I live in the south west.

i will see if i have any blank CD, i should have but i can't remember where i had put them! shows how old the laptop is, as it does not have USB boot option! i was thinking of buying a hard drive reader and take out the hard drive from the samsung. do i need any specific hard drive reader or are they universal?

no need with hirens as when it boots to mini xp you can copy the files to a flash drive, but if you really want to buy a usb caddy your looking for 2.5inch sata to usb caddy

this will do it

ebay.co.uk/itm…952

Original Poster

123mark1235 m ago

no need with hirens as when it boots to mini xp you can copy the files to …no need with hirens as when it boots to mini xp you can copy the files to a flash drive, but if you really want to buy a usb caddy your looking for 2.5inch sata to usb caddy

thanks. i have a toshiba laptop which is old enough to have a CD/DVD drive. these machines are ancient and really CD are becoming a dinosaur. i have found a CD disk in the cupboard, which states DVD+RW, I hope that will work as a CD? And I hope it is not a faulty disk.

i will try hirens as you have advised and see.

Original Poster

123mark1237 m ago

no need with hirens as when it boots to mini xp you can copy the files to …no need with hirens as when it boots to mini xp you can copy the files to a flash drive, but if you really want to buy a usb caddy your looking for 2.5inch sata to usb caddythis will do ithttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-To-SATA-External-HDD-SSD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Adapter-2-5-Converter-Lead-Cable-/271659298952

wow. just the cable will do? £2.95 and i can recover my data? that will be a result. i pay more than that for ice cream. lol.

mutley1

wow. just the cable will do? £2.95 and i can recover my data? that will … wow. just the cable will do? £2.95 and i can recover my data? that will be a result. i pay more than that for ice cream. lol.

yep, cheap as chips! when you connect it all up via two usb ports, remember your data ( personal files is under the users folder this is where you'll find desktop and my documents etc...

mutley1

wow. just the cable will do? £2.95 and i can recover my data? that will … wow. just the cable will do? £2.95 and i can recover my data? that will be a result. i pay more than that for ice cream. lol.

yep, cheap as chips! when you connect it all up via two usb ports, remember your data ( personal files is under the users folder this is where you'll find desktop and my documents etc...

mutley1

by the way dvd-rw will not work, you need cd-r

Original Poster

123mark123

by the way dvd-rw will not work, you need cd-r

Oh man. I dont think i got any cd disks i think i am better off getting that cable you posted from ebay.

Original Poster

123mark12322 m ago

yep, cheap as chips! when you connect it all up via two usb ports, …yep, cheap as chips! when you connect it all up via two usb ports, remember your data ( personal files is under the users folder this is where you'll find desktop and my documents etc...

Why does it need to connect to 2 usb ports? Is one for power

not enough power to run it from 1 usb port therefore 2 is needed to spin the drive and to read the data.

good luck and hope you get all your files back, I really carn't see why not and also why people charge a fortune for data recovery. for £3 all your files are there, if you do have other issues though Im happy to help.

cheers mark

Original Poster

123mark1232 m ago

not enough power to run it from 1 usb port therefore 2 is needed to spin …not enough power to run it from 1 usb port therefore 2 is needed to spin the drive and to read the data.good luck and hope you get all your files back, I really carn't see why not and also why people charge a fortune for data recovery. for £3 all your files are there, if you do have other issues though Im happy to help.cheers mark

I saw an ad which says they can recover your data for £99. Lol, you get the quid change for the shopping trolley. They charge because they can as most people will not dare open up a laptop or pc and take things out.

i opened up my toshiba and took stuff out. Unfortunately i broke it so not the best example to quote. Lol.

youtube best source of knowledge, helps me out loads to keep on top of things also just ask google how to do things and nine times out ten someone has solved it, I fixed a macbook pro when apple wanted £700.00, I fixed it with a bottle of ipa 99.9% proof alcohol ( £7 ) for cleaning and the rest for drinking when it worked, and a brand new keyboard for around £30, rip off merchants,lol

Original Poster

123mark1232 m ago

youtube best source of knowledge, helps me out loads to keep on top of …youtube best source of knowledge, helps me out loads to keep on top of things also just ask google how to do things and nine times out ten someone has solved it, I fixed a macbook pro when apple wanted £700.00, I fixed it with a bottle of ipa 99.9% proof alcohol ( £7 ) for cleaning and the rest for drinking when it worked, and a brand new keyboard for around £30, rip off merchants,lol

Laptops are so cheap nowadays, even if you opened it up and broke it, still cheaper than paying someone to repair an old machine. Worth the punt as you won't always break it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions