Groups

Windows 8 disc

My laptop is having issues and might have to reinstall. It has an Windows 8 sticker on the bottom (so I assume the licence key is saved in the BIOS & I can only reinstall Windows8, not 8.1 ) - my Windows 8 disc has too many scratches and doesn't read properly.

Does anyone know where I could get a factory Windows 8 64bit image - so I can put it onto USB & get back to running Windows? (not 8.1) Can't seem to get it from Microsoft as I don't have an MSDN account.

I'm slightly lost as for what people do, if they do have Windows 8 licence - they just don't have the disc media? Would be grateful if someone could help.

10 Comments

Have you tried the Windows 8.1 installer? I thought Microsoft was accepting Windows 8 keys on it these days:
    microsoft.com/en-…ws8

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Have you tried the Windows 8.1 installer? I thought Microsoft was … Have you tried the Windows 8.1 installer? I thought Microsoft was accepting Windows 8 keys on it these days:https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows8

Found "windows 8 recovery disc" on eBay for £3.99. I presume if I have the licence this thing would work - just don't know how long the delivery takes these days.
    Edited by: "Quicklite" 27th Oct 2016

Why not upgrade to windows 10?

Does the laptop have a recovery partition?

Ok 1st up you should look to see if the laptop has a built in recovery section (which is hidden) on the HDD 99% of laptops that had windows 8 had this. It will reset if to a factory build so you will need to back up. 2 If you do not know how to find it you will need to look on the makers site for the "How to" normally its some thing like F12/F11 held down from power on.

Original Poster

Err doesn't seem to have any recovery partition left. :oO

what make is your laptop. if it's a lenovo images can be downloaded from there website if it is a Dell I may be able to help you out.

No one use torrent sites these days? Every single windows, software, movie, game and song can be downloaded for free. Illegal? Who cares... Why should i pay for stuff which designed to brainwash me, make me drink coffee, smoke, alcohol, likes and dislikes, fears and shames, etc.
    So yea... use one, UK has blocked few thousand sites, but few millions is still accessible.

But i am sure, there hidden partition on that laptop with windowws, on. Press/hold recovery button, f2, f8, f10, f12 when pc starts.

Quicklite

Found "windows 8 recovery disc" on eBay for £3.99. I presume if I … Found "windows 8 recovery disc" on eBay for £3.99. I presume if I have the licence this thing would work - just don't know how long the delivery takes these days.

Unless you internet connection is severely capped then I would definitely try downloading the installer from Microsoft first. There's no chance of viruses, it provides by the recovery tools and the complete install if they fail, it's quicker and cheaper and works on both a USB stick and a DVD.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 27th Oct 2016

First thing I would think to do before doing a fresh install or a factory reset is to do a system restore to a previous date when your laptop was running fine. Failing that go ahead and do a fresh install.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
      3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions