Windows boot usb

Found 20th Apr
I am looking to reinstall windows 10. a friend lent me a bootbusb but needed it back before I had got my new drive and drivers etc.
I tried copying it but didn't work. I then used the windows media tool thing to download an ISO.
i used an image write tool (can't recall name) to write to the usb.
the usb now shows 0 on bytes used and free. if I double click it I greet warning saying it needs formatting before use.
my friends usb had a image next to the icon in my computer , and also I could open the drive and see some folders and a setup.exe.
what have I missed or done incorrectly?
Community Updates
AskElectronicsWindows
10 Comments
deleted1597344
Not sure how you have managed that but the drive is corrupted and will need formatting. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool will make the USB bootable for you, just don’t choose the iso option.
i dont need to do anythign to the usb before hand? like in powershell to create a primary partition or anything?
literrally format the usb, and then use the media tool to create the usb?
i think i tried that first and it failed to create, will look again tonight. thanks
deleted1597344
t3rm3y1 h, 40 m ago

i dont need to do anythign to the usb before hand? like in powershell to …i dont need to do anythign to the usb before hand? like in powershell to create a primary partition or anything?literrally format the usb, and then use the media tool to create the usb?i think i tried that first and it failed to create, will look again tonight. thanks

No PS is not required. Just plug the USB in open Media Creation Tool follow the prompts on screen and let it do the rest.
You need to reformat the drive using diskpart using something similar to this click. Once formatted you need to burn the ISO on the USB.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th Apr
RiverDragon844 m ago

You need to reformat the drive using diskpart using something similar to …You need to reformat the drive using diskpart using something similar to this click. Once formatted you need to burn the ISO on the USB (I use ImgBurn, they're all the same).

No, you don't. The installer creation tool will make a bootable USB drive directly.
EndlessWaves9 m ago

No, you don't. The installer creation tool will make a bootable USB drive …No, you don't. The installer creation tool will make a bootable USB drive directly.

Ermm no, OP downloaded the ISO (not on to a USB), So he doing the long way round. So now he has to burn the ISO onto a USB stick.
It's simpler just to run the tool again.
EndlessWaves18 m ago

It's simpler just to run the tool again.

It's quicker to format USB and burn the ISO (because he has already downloaded it), but yes, if OP selected to create a bootable USB in the first place.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 20th Apr
try uui or universal usb installer, seems to do the job well with linux distros
and i did come across one machine that was particularly fussy about usb drives over 4gb with fat32 for that i had to use a hp usb formatting tool, google it.
Thanks guys didn't have luck with the iso. Used tool again and it made bootable USB. I tried doing it first time but on a different usb and it failed hence why I then downloaded the iso thinking it was a simple process. Tried a 2nd smaller usb and it work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants