Groups

Windows Corrupt and need advice on saving my emails

My windows XP has corrupt. When it loads all I get is a black screen and a white mouse. If I load it in safe mode I get exactly the same screen.

I have managed saved the important bits and pieces on a usb stick.

The only thing I need from my computers hard drive is my outlook express emails that are in my inbox and my saved emails and contacts.

Can anyone advise me on where I can find this to?

Thanks

12 Comments

can you not just re-download them from your ISP?
    Or re-download them once you re-install outlook?

If you have an XP Install disk you can try repairing Windows, or if that fails reload XP - doing this will not overwrite anything other than your system files.

[FONT=Verdana]Inside Outlook Express - Files and Settings - The OE Store Folder
    insideoe.com/fil…htm

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:
    [/FONT]

Banned

how did you backed important stuff if you cannot load windows, even in safe mode?

Have you left it at the black screen for a long period? If its just, for example, downloaded SP3, it can appear to 'hang' at that screen for a long time without actually having crashed...

Original Poster

Tanchi;6662566

can you not just re-download them from your ISP?Or re-download them once … can you not just re-download them from your ISP?Or re-download them once you re-install outlook?

Would this work?

cis_groupie;6662640

If you have an XP Install disk you can try repairing Windows, or if that … If you have an XP Install disk you can try repairing Windows, or if that fails reload XP - doing this will not overwrite anything other than your system files.

I've tried repairing windows but nothing has changed. So if i reload windows xp can i still access my outlook express emails like normal with all my contacts and previous messages saved?

Scotty Boy;6662788

[FONT=Verdana]Inside Outlook Express - Files and Settings - The OE Store … [FONT=Verdana]Inside Outlook Express - Files and Settings - The OE Store Folderhttp://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htmCheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Cheers I'll check it out

Original Poster

csiman;6663558

how did you backed important stuff if you cannot load windows, even in … how did you backed important stuff if you cannot load windows, even in safe mode?

A friend of mine managed to get most things off my hard drive and save it to my usb stick. He works as a computer tech for the council. He didnt know where or how to save my outlook express emails though

jah128;6663644

Have you left it at the black screen for a long period? If its just, for … Have you left it at the black screen for a long period? If its just, for example, downloaded SP3, it can appear to 'hang' at that screen for a long time without actually having crashed...

I left it on the screen for around an hour and nothing changed

So if i reload windows xp can i still access my outlook express emails … So if i reload windows xp can i still access my outlook express emails like normal with all my contacts and previous messages saved?

Yes, because your emails & contacts aren't stored physically on your machine - they're stored online. The worst that will happen is that you may have to reconfigure Outlook Express by re-entering your settings (account details, password etc).

Banned

cis_groupie;6664273

Yes, because your emails & contacts aren't stored physically on your … Yes, because your emails & contacts aren't stored physically on your machine - they're stored online. The worst that will happen is that you may have to reconfigure Outlook Express by re-entering your settings (account details, password etc).

thats rubbish - Most ISP's have their email accounts set to DELETE once retrieved from their servers. Unless your email provider is gmail,hotmail etc

What is your Email address domain name (e.g. xxxxxx@ntlworld.com)?

Get your mate to look her for emails here:-

C:\Documents and Settings\*[username]\*Local Settings\*Application Data\*Identities\*{[identity ID]}\*Microsoft\*Outlook Express

or

C:\*Windows\*Application Data\*Outlook Express\*{[identity ID]}

csiman;6671503

thats rubbish - Most ISP's have their email accounts set to DELETE once … thats rubbish - Most ISP's have their email accounts set to DELETE once retrieved from their servers. Unless your email provider is gmail,hotmail etcWhat is your Email address domain name (e.g. [email protected])?Get your mate to look her for emails here:-C:\Documents and Settings\*[username]\*Local Settings\*Application Data\*Identities\*{[identity ID]}\*Microsoft\*Outlook Express orC:\*Windows\*Application Data\*Outlook Express\*{[identity ID]}

OK, then, I'll qualify my statement:

In all instances that I have used Outlook Express, with several different ISPs, I have never lost any emails when reloading Windows. However, as with all advice given by anyone on this forum, please bear in mind that the advice is based largely on personal experience, and may not necessarily match your own experience.

Banned

cis_groupie;6673901

OK, then, I'll qualify my statement:In all instances that I have used … OK, then, I'll qualify my statement:In all instances that I have used Outlook Express, with several different ISPs, I have never lost any emails when reloading Windows. However, as with all advice given by anyone on this forum, please bear in mind that the advice is based largely on personal experience, and may not necessarily match your own experience.

but you said "your emails & contacts aren't stored physically on your machine - they're stored online"

this is clearly wrong so if OP formatted and re-installed window, then they will lose all their contacts / emails:thumbsup:

in any case, OP doesnt seem bothered anymore due to lack of response :-D

dcx_badass;6674220

Alot of places delete the emails once you download them, csiman is right.

In which case I'll bow my head and accept I'm wrong:oops:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?32184
      2. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1734
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846238
      4. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2437

See more discussions