Windows key

Posted 22nd Feb
In the office we have a PC I'd like to update, is a Lenevo tower (maybe), has a Windows 8 holographic sticker on it, but is running Windows 7 service pack 1.

I'm wanting to upgrade it to Windows 10, I've downloaded the windows 10 upgrade tool, however when running the setup, it says the copy of Windows 7 isn't registered please enter a key.

Is there a way of retrieving the windows 8 key? Or will this be now total dead and buried (deleted).

Where's cheapest please to get a genuine key to upgrade to Windows 10... And which key will I need Win 7, 8, or 10... The current Windows installed is Windows 7 Pro.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
No sure if it’s retrievable or not. But you can buy a key on eBay for a few quid. Just make sure you buy a key for the version of windows the PC WAS actually running.
Try using a program called recover key see if it can find the key from the bios
reece.dowson22/02/2020 08:19

No sure if it’s retrievable or not. But you can buy a key on eBay for a f …No sure if it’s retrievable or not. But you can buy a key on eBay for a few quid. Just make sure you buy a key for the version of windows the PC WAS actually running.

So if need to buy a Windows 7 Pro key...

ding22/02/2020 09:04

Try using a program called recover key see if it can find the key from the …Try using a program called recover key see if it can find the key from the bios

Will give it a go on Monday, when I'm back in the office
Just format and install windows 10. No key needed unless you want unnecessary features

digitaltrends.com/com…ee/
Edited by: "chocci" 22nd Feb
chocci22/02/2020 09:50

No key needed unless you want unnecessary features

Like changing the screen resolution?
chocci22/02/2020 10:06

No, like having your own desktop …No, like having your own desktop backgroundhttps://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

But you do need a key to change the resolution, hence my initial statement.
m5rcc22/02/2020 10:15

No you don't. Installed on an old laptop and resolution changes were fine. Read that link I posted
chocci22/02/2020 10:23

No you don't. Installed on an old laptop and resolution changes were fine. …No you don't. Installed on an old laptop and resolution changes were fine. Read that link I posted

It did because that's exactly what happened when I did a clean install with all the drivers installed.

That article is over two years old and outdated.
Edited by: "m5rcc" 22nd Feb
m5rcc22/02/2020 10:25

It did because that's exactly what happened when I did a clean install …It did because that's exactly what happened when I did a clean install with all the drivers installed.That article is over two years old and outdated.

worked for me fine 6 months ago. probably did it wrong
chocci22/02/2020 11:19

worked for me fine 6 months ago. probably did it wrong

LOL
m5rcc22/02/2020 10:15

Are you sure about that? You do need to activate the install to change personalisation features (themes, etc), and you may need to activate to change display DPI, but I don't recall resolution being a restricted setting. Seems a bit of an odd one if it is, given how essential setting the appropriate res can be, and the fact that the res can normally be set by applications, including the GPU's own driver control panel.
Pájaro22/02/2020 12:48

Are you sure about that? You do need to activate the install to change …Are you sure about that? You do need to activate the install to change personalisation features (themes, etc), and you may need to activate to change display DPI, but I don't recall resolution being a restricted setting. Seems a bit of an odd one if it is, given how essential setting the appropriate res can be, and the fact that the res can normally be set by applications, including the GPU's own driver control panel.

That's what happened to me when I did a clean install with Windows 10 Pro.
m5rcc22/02/2020 12:49

That's what happened to me when I did a clean install with Windows 10 Pro.

I really don't think that it did. It's a behaviour which makes little sense, which I've never otherwise heard of happening, and which I've never seen, including on the clean and unactivated install of Win10 I have running under a VM which I just checked. The personalisation settings are disabled, but resolution is most definitely user-configurable.

Can you find anything to support your memory?
There may be a slim chance that the original Windows is contained in a hidden partition on the disk. It sounds as if in its past it was regressed to win 7 probably because win 8 was not liked or it was company policy to use win 7 throughout.
If it is on a hidden partition I would boot into safe mode, reinstall from the hidden partition and thereafter if you have win 8 then upgrading to 10 should be a breeze.
Pájaro22/02/2020 12:56

I really don't think that it did. It's a behaviour which makes little …I really don't think that it did. It's a behaviour which makes little sense, which I've never otherwise heard of happening, and which I've never seen, including on the clean and unactivated install of Win10 I have running under a VM which I just checked. The personalisation settings are disabled, but resolution is most definitely user-configurable. Can you find anything to support your memory?

Doesn't matter whether you think it did or did not. It happened. I have no reason to lie.
m5rcc22/02/2020 12:58

Doesn't matter whether you think it did or did not. It happened. I have no …Doesn't matter whether you think it did or did not. It happened. I have no reason to lie.

Of course you don't. There's plenty of things plenty of people will lie about, and something like this simply isn't one of them. I don't believe for a moment that you're dishonest, just that you're mis-remembering.

Again, if you can find anything to suggest that you do need to activate to change resolution, I'm happy enough to be educated. At this point though, all the evidence is to the contrary of what you're saying.
Pájaro22/02/2020 13:10

Of course you don't. There's plenty of things plenty of people will lie …Of course you don't. There's plenty of things plenty of people will lie about, and something like this simply isn't one of them. I don't believe for a moment that you're dishonest, just that you're mis-remembering.

I'm not suffering from dementia just yet, thanks.

Again, if you can find anything to suggest that you do need to activate to …Again, if you can find anything to suggest that you do need to activate to change resolution, I'm happy enough to be educated.

I'm afraid I have other things to do on my Saturday than satisfy your asininity.

At this point though, all the evidence is to the contrary of what you're …At this point though, all the evidence is to the contrary of what you're saying.

How will I sleep?!
m5rcc22/02/2020 13:13

I'm not suffering from dementia just yet, thanks.I'm afraid I have other …I'm not suffering from dementia just yet, thanks.I'm afraid I have other things to do on my Saturday than satisfy your asininity. How will I sleep?!

Heh. You enjoy the rest of your Saturday now.
Pájaro22/02/2020 13:18

Heh. You enjoy the rest of your Saturday now.

And I'll let you stew in your own superiority!
Needs to be a bit of calm in this thread...

Thanks for some of the comments above... I'm looking to upgrade, not a fresh install.

Will have a butchers on Monday, a tech guy suggested buying the code from xboxliveshop.co.uk.

I can't see these codes been anymore genuine than eBay.
m5rcc22/02/2020 13:25

I've used this, albeit it was cheaper when I bought it.

Is it a Windows 7 Pro key I need or a Windows 10 pro... So that I can upgrade
fwibble22/02/2020 13:22

Needs to be a bit of calm in this thread...Thanks for some of the comments …Needs to be a bit of calm in this thread...Thanks for some of the comments above... I'm looking to upgrade, not a fresh install.Will have a butchers on Monday, a tech guy suggested buying the code from xboxliveshop.co.uk.I can't see these codes been anymore genuine than eBay.

I'd suggest an alternative tactic.

Since the system came with Win8 preinstalled, it should have the Win8 key stored in the UEFI. This key will work with Win8, should work with Win10, won't work with Win7, and, during the Win8 clean install process, should be automatically read from UEFI by the Windows installer. It may also be automatically read during the Win8 upgrade process, or if not, it may be read when attempting to activate Win8 after installing it without the key (presuming 8 let you do that - 7 and 10 did).

So, basically, upgrade Win7 to Win8, and try running the Win10 upgrade installer again. Take a backup first.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants