Groups

Windows Media Connect. Help needed.

Right, my brother in law is running this POS on his computer connected to my server. The problem is every time he boots up his computer it scans ALL my drives over and over. Not happy in the slightest as it's slowing everything down, clogging the network and overheating my drives. Is there any way of stopping it doing that?

If not can anybody recommend an alternative, it's for use with an Xbox 360. He says WMP11 is crap because it doesn't show directories just a long list of files, no good as i've got thousands on my server and he can't find anything.

16 Comments

Quickest way would be to stop sharing. Enlighten me as to what POS stands for? I've currently got a 360 hooked up, and it shares my PC files (only the ones i allow to share) so i can watch programs downstairs on the 360, from PC.

Original Poster

POS : Piece of **** :lol:

Thing is I don't want to cut him off completely (although I can with a quick edit to group policy), just stop the damn thing wrecking my computer.

What program is actually on his computer that's making yours slow? It's obviously nothing to do with your setup.

Your sharing media files through windows media player?

Why not just have a sharing folder. Anything he wants, just drag it in there. Stop access to everything else.

Original Poster

He's using Windows Media Connect. The problem is it seems to want to rescan for files every time it's started and considering i've got about 10TB on my server...... It's not a 5 minute job :lol:

I guess he could make sure that program doesnt start up, everytime the computer boots? Selective start up.

Mine comes up with DIR for Video, but not for Music using WMP, Is that what you mean?
    I never understood why the 360 lets you see DIR for Videos but not for Music, as I have Audio books and when you want to listen to music on random its a PITA.

Shame you couldnt just make a seperate folder with all what he wants in 1.

Also might TVersity help you?

Original Poster

DarrylJohn;5284353

I guess he could make sure that program doesnt start up, everytime the … I guess he could make sure that program doesnt start up, everytime the computer boots? Selective start up.

But then as soon as he wants to watch anything via the xbox he has to start the program... Back to square 1.

Chuckles1001;5284361

Mine comes up with DIR for Video, but not for Music using WMP, Is that … Mine comes up with DIR for Video, but not for Music using WMP, Is that what you mean?I never understood why the 360 lets you see DIR for Videos but not for Music, as I have Audio books and when you want to listen to music on random its a PITA.

Not sure as i've not seen what he gets onscreen. Apparently WMC displays on the 360 like in explorer with separate directories, but with WMP all the files appear as if in a single directory?

Original Poster

Chuckles1001;5284431

Also might TVersity help you?

Just sent him a link and he said it's buggy, to which I replied 'And WMC ISN'T????' :lol:

Shengis;5284438

But then as soon as he wants to watch anything via the xbox he has to … But then as soon as he wants to watch anything via the xbox he has to start the program... Back to square 1.Not sure as i've not seen what he gets onscreen. Apparently WMC displays on the 360 like in explorer with separate directories, but with WMP all the files appear as if in a single directory?

I know how to fix this for movies to stop it coming up in 1 folder (Spose this might work for music, I should haev tried really) , but might take you some time.

If you let WMP11 share to the 360 it comes up in 1 folder, but if you delete the "My Documents/My Videos" folder from the default list in WMP11 and then add your own folder mine is "Multi Media/Movies" then splits to "/Series" & "/Movies" and in each are lots of sub folders you can select a folder and go in and out and scroll down the list to the one you want.

I remember that being a pain for me when i first set it up, if you want me to explain better i could take some screen shots and email you a video of how it looks on my 360?

Shengis;5284542

Just sent him a link and he said it's buggy, to which I replied 'And WMC … Just sent him a link and he said it's buggy, to which I replied 'And WMC ISN'T????' :lol:

lol to right, I wouuld use WMP11 to be honest

Original Poster

So would that mean he'd have to add each folder individually?

Shengis;5284649

So would that mean he'd have to add each folder individually?

No all you do is add the parent folder as a shared folder in WMP and delete the default ones and then every folder inside that folder is shared up.

It takes a 5 mins on my 1TB drive to add all the files but then it does not do it again. If I add more files to the folders later on they are just there and shared up already, without doing extra scans.

Think you need to teach him how to use a PC lol

Original Poster

Cheers. Should be easy to do as I have a single directory in the root of each of my drives so if he adds that it will add the lot. I reckon he should just use an original xbox with smb like I do, much easier to set up.

Shengis;5284758

Cheers. Should be easy to do as I have a single directory in the root of … Cheers. Should be easy to do as I have a single directory in the root of each of my drives so if he adds that it will add the lot. I reckon he should just use an original xbox with smb like I do, much easier to set up.

I agree but when WMP is set up right it streams so well to the 360, I love my Original xbox but for somethings its not that good as I dont and get get hold of a Connection cable for the TV in High Def, which makes somethings not as clear and sharp and to dark Wish I could get a cble for a decent price.

Here are some links of how i have my shared up Hope it helps

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6797/add2library.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6668/mediasharing2360.jpg
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7181352
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1222
      3. Spotify Family Premium share719
      4. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710955

See more discussions