Windows pc help please

Found 5th Dec 2017
Hi Guys,

What is the cheapest way of getting windows on a new build pc? My brother is building a £500 gaming pc but windows is a massive stumbling block. Does anyone k ow the best way?

Also, I have a pc which had windows 8.1 on it which I’ve upgraded to windows 10. Would I be able to use the key for the 8.1 on the new build or is that serious wishful thinking?

Thanks in advance for any help offered

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

You can normally get genuine windows keys from software for students cheap if your a student/teacher/academic and the Microsoft store too. Alternatively if your employed by a large company they may have an agreement with Microsoft to offer windows/office etc cheap to staff.

Your windows 8.1/10 key will only work on one system, if the system your building is replacing that one then you can probably use it.

Original Poster

I can’t see anything on software for students unfortunately.

If I bought an old pc on eBay as long as the key hadn’t been used could that then be used for the new build? I’m really trying to get away from paying full price here haha.
Unfortunately my upgraded windows would still be used.
Thanks for your response.

£3.29... how cheap do you want? Win10

"Also, I have a pc which had windows 8.1 on it which I’ve upgraded to windows 10. Would I be able to use the key for the 8.1 on the new build or is that serious wishful thinking?"

Only if it's a boxed copy and you bought an additional boxed copy of Windows 10. The free upgrade only converts a key. Keys that come with a computer can't be transferred as the computer manufacturers get discounted rates, that's why you're struggling to match the cost of a pre-built machine.

I believe the licence agreement does allow boxed copies to be sold though, so a second hand copy would be a non-dubious way of getting a licence. They're not particularly common though.

Even the new version is a lot cheaper these days than it's been in the past though.

If you want cheap then Windows 7 activated with Windows Activator, then use the free upgrade to Windows 10. This will give you a “genuine” bios embedded key

Install Windows 8.1 go to the activation screen, don't bother trying to activate online use the telephone wizard, it will ask on how many PCs is this software installed on, enter 1, download Windows 10 iso and bobs your uncle, or if you don't have win 10 Google "Windows 10 for assisted technologies" and download Windows 10 for free, you have until the end of the year to download it when they are stopping it.

Unactivated windows 10 will work fully with the single restriction that you can't change the desktop wallpaper.......

Just sayin....

AirbusA38010 h, 3 m ago

If you want cheap then Windows 7 activated with Windows Activator, then …If you want cheap then Windows 7 activated with Windows Activator, then use the free upgrade to Windows 10. This will give you a “genuine” bios embedded key

Free upgrade to Windows 10 stopped ages ago I thought

chocci3 h, 1 m ago

Free upgrade to Windows 10 stopped ages ago I thought

No, it ends on 31st December.

I still have a load of Windows 7 keys from my msdn account, which can be used for clean installs of Windows 10. You can have one in exchange for a £10 donation (preferably with gift aid) to the Woodland Trust.
Edited by: "dxx" 6th Dec 2017

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input.

DXX that’s very kind of you and would like to take you up on that offer. i shall PM you

check PM

20154 h, 45 m ago

Thanks everyone for your input. DXX that’s very kind of you and would like …Thanks everyone for your input. DXX that’s very kind of you and would like to take you up on that offer. i shall PM you

No problem. Send me a screengrab of the receipt and I'll PM the code over to you.

Just like to say...WELL DONE BOTH OF YOU... A GREAT GESTURE BY YOU BOTH. Thank you.

Original Poster

I haven’t actually done this yet... Have had other things on unfortunately.

Will be sorting over this weekend.
Thanks again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants