Windows pc... How to make space ??.

Posted 19th Apr
3445034-tgO5K.jpg
I don't get it, I've removed nearly all my apps and it's still saying I have 53 gig used up ? is it just lots of temporary files ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
40462108-igdmp.jpg
Windows takes up a bit of space but won't be listed in your apps
miikeyblue19/04/2020 10:01

Windows takes up a bit of space but won't be listed in your apps

I'm guessing that's in the system section though ?
3gb in edge will be temp files and cache / history. Worth clearing
miikeyblue19/04/2020 10:03

Ah yea, missed that.

Tempted just to do a fresh restore of windows, all my files are pretty much on the d drive anyways so I don't know what's taking up so much space
deleted1793489
jam-software.com/tre…ree handy bit of software that has graphics etc to show you what is the largest and you can research non essential files from a Google search with info gained from this
Have you emptied your recycle bin? Deleting files doesn't free up space automatically, as the files are just moved to the recycle bin (unless you use SHIFT + delete).
deleted179348919/04/2020 10:06

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free handy bit of software that has …https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free handy bit of software that has graphics etc to show you what is the largest and you can research non essential files from a Google search with info gained from this

That looks pretty handy 👌
cis_groupie19/04/2020 10:11

Have you emptied your recycle bin? Deleting files doesn't free up space …Have you emptied your recycle bin? Deleting files doesn't free up space automatically, as the files are just moved to the recycle bin (unless you use SHIFT + delete).

Yup did all the cleaning tools
Under Apps & Features the Features will be taking up the rest of the space. These are in Control Panel under Add/Remove programmes (Turn Windows Features on or off).

Tree size is great as someone mentioned, just make sure Windows definitely doesn’t need something before removing it.
winzzz19/04/2020 10:18

Under Apps & Features the Features will be taking up the rest of the …Under Apps & Features the Features will be taking up the rest of the space. These are in Control Panel under Add/Remove programmes (Turn Windows Features on or off). Tree size is great as someone mentioned, just make sure Windows definitely doesn’t need something before removing it.

Seems like there's a lot stuck in the local app data, maybe just stuff that didn't get removed when I've removed programs before
Hibernation feature will also take up space. Meaning all they apps you uninstalled are backed up. I always turn mine off, especially for SSD's. But i wouldn't think that would be under the apps size section either.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 19th Apr
load up windows explorer, right click on your c: drive and select properties.
Click disk cleanup, tick each box (one says downloads you may not want to delete this without checking), press ok.

Now go back to properties / disk clean up, click clean up system files and do the same thing
Had a look at my windows Apps, 25.7gb. The largest app is Twitch at 400mb. You must be missing a huge app in there.
Buy more storage, upgrade the size of the internal drive with a larger SSD or add some external storage.
Don't get too hung up about how much is used, just ensure you have enough left. At 25.6gb free on a 100gb machine I would say that should be plenty to be going on with especially if as you say all your data is on another drive.
tardytortoise19/04/2020 11:30

Don't get too hung up about how much is used, just ensure you have enough …Don't get too hung up about how much is used, just ensure you have enough left. At 25.6gb free on a 100gb machine I would say that should be plenty to be going on with especially if as you say all your data is on another drive.

I have to agree with this. SSD 100gb for Windows only. I have all my games installed on another drive.
chrisredmayne19/04/2020 10:20

Seems like there's a lot stuck in the local app data, maybe just stuff …Seems like there's a lot stuck in the local app data, maybe just stuff that didn't get removed when I've removed programs before

AppData is the place for all the stuff that is specific to your system but not a user file. Configuration info, DRM permissions, cached files and so on.

Judging by the JDK you do a bit of software development so perhaps something like virtual machine images? They can be gigabytes in size.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 19th Apr
tardytortoise19/04/2020 11:30

Don't get too hung up about how much is used, just ensure you have enough …Don't get too hung up about how much is used, just ensure you have enough left. At 25.6gb free on a 100gb machine I would say that should be plenty to be going on with especially if as you say all your data is on another drive.

With an SSD though once you start running out of storage performance drops
Check to make sure you don't have a windows upgrade folder, it can be removed

winhelponline.com/blo…nt/
delete the restore points. may have to google how to do so
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions