windows vista cd key help...

17 replies
Found 18th Aug 2009
Hi a friend gave me his laptop to look at it and i found a virus on it,i thought the best thing to do is renstall vista fresh but the problem is he cant find the cd,is there a way for me to find the serial key on it and then download vista and use the original cd key on it?

thanks

17 Comments

You found a solitary little virus, so you thought the best thing would be to wipe the whole system and start over? Bit extreme, no?

Banned

dxx;6047210

You found a solitary little virus, so you thought the best thing would be … You found a solitary little virus, so you thought the best thing would be to wipe the whole system and start over? Bit extreme, no?

:w00t::thumbsup:+1

Original Poster

Babbabooey;6047199

Get this to identify the product key - … Get this to identify the product key - http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/then d/l another copy as you suggest.

thanks m8

Original Poster

dxx;6047210

You found a solitary little virus, so you thought the best thing would be … You found a solitary little virus, so you thought the best thing would be to wipe the whole system and start over? Bit extreme, no?

its not a little virus,its one that steals password info etc....i tried a removal tool but it wants to conect to the internet to run it and laptop wont conect due to the virus

Theirs normally a certificate sticker on the laptop/ PC with the key on. Unless the OS was changed since it's purchase.

Original Poster

W1zz;6047227

Theirs normally a certificate sticker on the laptop/ PC with the key on. … Theirs normally a certificate sticker on the laptop/ PC with the key on. Unless the OS was changed since it's purchase.

hey thanks found it on there,just need to find home edt to download,all i seem to find is the premium one

Banned

W1zz;6047227

Theirs normally a certificate sticker on the laptop/ PC with the key on. … Theirs normally a certificate sticker on the laptop/ PC with the key on. Unless the OS was changed since it's purchase.

Lucky
:w00t:Thats normally on windows manual not PC/Laptop.:thumbsup:

RUDOLF;6047253

Lucky:w00t:Thats normally on windows manual not PC/Laptop.:thumbsup:

They've been putting them on the laptop/pc's for years now, OEM. :thumbsup:

strobez1977;6047249

hey thanks found it on there,just need to find home edt to download,all i … hey thanks found it on there,just need to find home edt to download,all i seem to find is the premium one

Dont think it matters with vista,They are all the same and when you put in the serial it recognises which to install,

Banned

you sure the OS install isnt on a seperate partition? thats how they do it most of the time now and dont issue cds.

what was the virus?

strobez1977;6047224

its not a little virus,its one that steals password info etc....i tried a … its not a little virus,its one that steals password info etc....i tried a removal tool but it wants to conect to the internet to run it and laptop wont conect due to the virus

If this is Vista, have you run Defender and let it scan the whole machine?

If that doesnt work download and install Spybot which will find most spyware etc and prevent further attacks.

If Vista came with the machine, then they often have a recovery partition with an image to reinstall - very often something like pressing F4 on boot will start this process. Make sure you have all the data backed up first.

If you clean install Vista from download make sure its an OEM image as the key ranges differ from say MSDN or others. Also make sure that you know what drivers are specific to the laptop hardware as these will not be included and often will not appear in Windows Updates - most common is often the wireless and ethernet drivers! (which you will need to download further updates easily).

Good luck

Original Poster

marmalade47;6047416

If this is Vista, have you run Defender and let it scan the whole … If this is Vista, have you run Defender and let it scan the whole machine?If that doesnt work download and install Spybot which will find most spyware etc and prevent further attacks.If Vista came with the machine, then they often have a recovery partition with an image to reinstall - very often something like pressing F4 on boot will start this process. Make sure you have all the data backed up first.If you clean install Vista from download make sure its an OEM image as the key ranges differ from say MSDN or others. Also make sure that you know what drivers are specific to the laptop hardware as these will not be included and often will not appear in Windows Updates - most common is often the wireless and ethernet drivers! (which you will need to download further updates easily).Good luck

thanks for the excellent advice,im now dl them 2 programes and putting them on my memory stick,will then run them on the laptop and see if that fixes it,thanks

Banned

csiman;6047409

you sure the OS install isnt on a seperate partition? thats how they do … you sure the OS install isnt on a seperate partition? thats how they do it most of the time now and dont issue cds.what was the virus?

dunno why I bother! :?

It would be worth downloading and installing Avast antivirus also as this will perform a boot-time scan prior to Windows starting up again and should catch and delete anything. Good luck.

Banned

Coventry / central london (what a hellhole)! The old saying has some meaning.

reverse - anywhere on the south coast from Brighton to Plymough is fantastic

good weather too!

I love the sun but too much for me today

tomorrows gonna be a beach day

beers on!

One virus and re-install, maybe burn it with fire and drop it in the ocean in a lead container just to be sure. Maybe throw-away the hard drive all together and buy a new one, after all virus's can mutate, thats what they are frightened that swine flu may do :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition74852
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions