Groups
    EXPIRED

Windows XP

Hi

I'm trying to Dual boot my new Acer Netbook and need a copy of Windows XP. I'm currently using Vista but imagine that this will cause more problems to dual boot so where can I get a cheap copy of XP from please!

16 Comments

the pirate bay lol

Why not install Virtual PC (free) on your PC, then install XP under that.

You can get Virtual PC from here

microsoft.com/dow…=en

Here is a picture of XP running under Virtual PC on a Vista box.

techmixer.com/pic…jpg

guilbert53;5161789

Why not install Virtual PC (free) on your PC, then install XP under … Why not install Virtual PC (free) on your PC, then install XP under that.You can get Virtual PC from herehttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=enHere is a picture of XP running under Virtual PC on a Vista box.http://www.techmixer.com/pic/2007/10/virtualpc200701.jpg

That doesn't solve the problem as he'll still need an XP disc or image to install.

Vista dual boots fine, what problems are you having getting the dual boot working?

If u really need XP you could try tinyXP (google it).

Why not try ]Windows 7 (Release Candidate). It's free and, unlike Vista, is comparible to XP, in terms of speed. My Aspire One runs fine with a Windows7 RC and Ubuntu Netbook Remix dual boot.

Original Poster

Hi and thanks

I'll be honest I haven't tried Vista - I think because I've not seen any threads elsewhere on dual-booting with it. If I use Vista will the process be exactly the same?

I've been looking at ]http//ja…php this thread on how to dual boot does it sound any good? Of course, it is with XP...

Cheers fort he replies chaps.

cleagarr;5162950

Hi and thanksI'll be honest I haven't tried Vista - I think because I've … Hi and thanksI'll be honest I haven't tried Vista - I think because I've not seen any threads elsewhere on dual-booting with it. If I use Vista will the process be exactly the same?I've been looking at ]http://jargongeneration.com/AcerAspire/dualbootXP/index.php this thread on how to dual boot does it sound any good? Of course, it is with XP...Cheers fort he replies chaps.

Yeah, for either vista or xp the process is the same, just install vista/xp on a partition 1st and then install whatever linux flavour on the remaining space on the hdd.

I would suggest looking up

Ghost Disk Image TinyXP v02 for AAO 100A part 1-2-3-4-5 Ron[nl]

through Google :whoops

Vista should be better than XP for dual-booting, XP is horrible for that.

EndlessWaves;5163767

???????? it what way?

EndlessWaves;5163767

I dual boot my PC with XP and Ubuntu no problems at all....never had any issues dual booting XP.

what issues you had? :?

buddhabelly;5162795

Why not try ]Windows 7 (Release Candidate). It's free and, unlike Vista, … Why not try ]Windows 7 (Release Candidate). It's free and, unlike Vista, is comparible to XP, in terms of speed. My Aspire One runs fine with a Windows7 RC and Ubuntu Netbook Remix dual boot.

thinking of putting ubuntu remix on my AA1 (120gb/running 1.5gb ram)

have you had any issues at all?

i'd heard there may have been a problem with wireless?

don't want to try it if it's gonna goose my system at all

advice would be most welcome

DVS_Dee;5163905

???????? it what way?

XP overwrites the MBR for a start, and I thought there was some sort of primary partition issue (although that could have been an earlier version of windows).

EndlessWaves;5165411

XP overwrites the MBR for a start, and I thought there was some sort of … XP overwrites the MBR for a start, and I thought there was some sort of primary partition issue (although that could have been an earlier version of windows).

There's ways around that:

1. install XP 1st and linux second
    2. if you've already got linux installed, just backup your mbr

DVS_Dee;5165644

There's ways around that:1. install XP 1st and linux second2. if you've … There's ways around that:1. install XP 1st and linux second2. if you've already got linux installed, just backup your mbr

Yes, I didn't say that it wasn't possible. Just that it's not the nicest OS to deal with when it comes to dual-booting.

]EasyBCD makes it really easy to dual-boot any OS with Vista.
    There's good documentation on how to do it ]here

scrumpypaul;5164638

thinking of putting ubuntu remix on my AA1 (120gb/running 1.5gb ram)have … thinking of putting ubuntu remix on my AA1 (120gb/running 1.5gb ram)have you had any issues at all?i'd heard there may have been a problem with wireless?don't want to try it if it's gonna goose my system at alladvice would be most welcome

No problems installing Ubuntu Netbook Remix on my aspire One. Wireless worked fine straight away. Installation is exactly the same as installing regular ubuntu, and from an SD card took about 10 minutes and was flawless. - You do get the option, as in normal ubuntu, to keep your existing OS and dual boot using grub.
    So I'd say go for it.

Some points of note:
    - Out of curiosity I did enable the 'proprietary' wireless driver (System>Administration>HardwareDrivers) but that stopped the wireless from working! - so I deactivated it again. It is deactivated by default.
    - There is a slight problem with hot-plugging SD cards. The card must be inserted during boot for it to be recognised. But can be removed/inserted thereafter. (hopefully to be fixed soon)
    - Netbook Remix boots to an interface similar to the Aspire One (ie big icons). But there is an option to switch to the Classic interface/desktop (Administration>SwitchDesktop - choose Classic option). TBH I prefer the Remix interface for use on a small screen.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Argos 3 for 2 reserving early33
      2. SCS add ons... are they worth it??35
      3. Salecharms.com is this a genuine pandora retailer?23
      4. Any have any gearbest codes ASAP/advice on where to buy Xiaomi phone?68

See more discussions