EXPIRED

Windows XP Home Edition CD

Does anyone please know of any good deals on Windows XP Home Edition CDs?

Basically I have a Toshiba laptop which didn't come with a separate Windows CD and now it won't boot up and is requesting the Windows disk. I know I could re-format the hard drive to start it up but there are files on there that I don't want to lose.

I'm trying to avoid ebay as we've had problems with Paypal in the past.

Thanks in advance for any help.

11 Comments

[url]www.Software4students.co.uk[/url] has them cheap but you'll have to see if your eligible
If you've got kids, or your a student or teacher you should be able to get one

Or use a recovery disc

I am assuming you have a legal key for previous windows installed on your laptop.

You can call Toshiba and tell them your problem. They might be able to send a cd for some price or may be for free which can be used with the key printed on the sticker on the bottom of your laptop. They should not charge you much as you have a licensed copy of XP already.

There is another option though, I am not sure about the legal implications of it. You can download one from a torrent, install and validate it with your own key. Basically, you pay for the key which you have already done so there should nt be a problem.

Hi if you have the key on a sticker (which you should have) on the back of your laptop you can contact microsoft direct and quote the key they will send you out a windows disc for your laptop at a small cost. You should then make a restore disc when you get it up and running again.

Original Poster

Thanks. I do have a legal key. Toshiba basically told me to get hold of a copy of Windows XP!
I will try Microsoft.

scragglepuss;4368186

Thanks. I do have a legal key. Toshiba basically told me to get hold of a … Thanks. I do have a legal key. Toshiba basically told me to get hold of a copy of Windows XP! I will try Microsoft.

Microsoft no longer sell Windows XP so you cant get it from them.

> I know I could re-format the hard drive to start it up but there are files on there that I don't want to lose.

Take the disk out of the laptop and put it in an external caddy (inexpensive to buy).

Plug the external caddy into the USB port of another PC or laptop.

Then you can copy the files off the dodgy drive, and onto the PC or laptop it is plugged into.

Once you have all the files off it, put it back in the laptop and then run the Windows recovery program that Toshiba supplied.

may be you can borrrow a windows cd from your friends and use your own key to register it.

guilbert53;4368772

I know I could re-format the hard drive to start it up but there are … > I know I could re-format the hard drive to start it up but there are files on there that I don't want to lose.Take the disk out of the laptop and put it in an external caddy (inexpensive to buy).Plug the external caddy into the USB port of another PC or laptop.Then you can copy the files off the dodgy drive, and onto the PC or laptop it is plugged into.Once you have all the files off it, put it back in the laptop and then run the Windows recovery program that Toshiba supplied.

What does caddy mean ? :oops:

pied_piper;4368988

What does caddy mean ? :oops:

this kind of thing, but a lot cheaper on fleabay

maplin.co.uk/Mod…180

esq3585;4370904

this kind of thing, but a lot cheaper on … this kind of thing, but a lot cheaper on fleabayhttp://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221180

Thanks a lot. This informaiton can be useful in future :thinking:

Hi everyone im after Windows xp & product key to install on a system. Im trying to get it as cheap as possible.
i lost my recovery cd and the folder i386) that is needed is gone missing from my pc.please help
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. anyone use this site before? http://www.ukgroupdeals.com34
    2. What dog food do your feed your dog2434
    3. Acer RT280k Monitor refuses to sleep.45
    4. Tenant rights for failing agreement to replace carpets1013

See more discussions